Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still a FNG here on the Viking forum but I've been riding Yamahas since I was 10 years old. Most of my family and friends are Yamaha guys too. I picked up my Viking a little while back after getting tired of my Wolverine Rspec and the oil burning issues. I've been doing a few upgrades along the way and I'm getting it dialed in the way I want it.

Last weekend and we did some wrenching and maintenance at my brother's place. Did some CVT service on a couple and installed slug kits in all 5 of the Vikings in the picture. It was a really fun day.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,368 Posts
Wow very cool stable of Vikings. Never seen a Viking with rear seats in the bed. What do you like most about the slug kits?

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Wow! I wish you would come here and install a new slugged clutch.

Sent from my SM-F707U using Tapatalk

Reactions: MNDirtRider

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow very cool stable of Vikings. Never seen a Viking with rear seats in the bed. What do you like most about the slug kits?
The slug kits engages the wet clutch shoes at a lower RPM and makes the shoes bite harder at engagement. This equals less slippage on slow take-offs and prolongs the life of the wet clutch shoes. To me, it makes the already outstanding Yamaha wet clutch/CVT system even smoother on take-off. It's particularly noticeable in slow stop-n-go technical riding, loading on the trailer, or backing out of the garage. It removes the jerkiness in reverse particularly well. I had my Wolverine slugged too so I'm a fan.

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice upgrade for sure. What part of MN are you guys from?
Thank you. I'm from just west of the Twin Cities (Maple Plain). We did all the slug kits down in Iowa ( Des Moines area). Long drive but that's where the rest of the guys are from. The nice thing is you can ride all the backroads legally down there. Not the same way here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm about 25 Minutes West of you (Howard Lake) You don't see many Vikings around here since we're in the Heart of Polaris Country!!

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
I'm about 25 Minutes West of you (Howard Lake) You don't see many Vikings around here since we're in the Heart of Polaris Country!!
This is how you know you are in Polaris Country. You see them on tow trucks.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,368 Posts
When pulling the wet clutch out do you have to remove the secondary clutch first? Is it in the way? Watching the HunterWorks video they removed it, But didn’t say why.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
I removed both sheaves.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,368 Posts
But is it in the way? Is it necessary to remove the secondary?

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Yes as I recall. Do you have a service manual?

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,368 Posts
Yes as I recall. Do you have a service manual?
Yes I do. I have not looked in it yet, because I have not ordered the kit yet. I will use it for sure when I do the work. I hope to order it in the next 3-4 weeks. Just way to hot now to spend a half a day under the Viking.

Reactions: bd_skrillz

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
I get it. I hate the heat. If you don't have a good torque wrench now is a good time to get one. I use digital torque adapters for 3/8 and 1/2. There are a lot of bolts that should be torqued right when you reassemble it.

Reactions: Sport4x4

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When pulling the wet clutch out do you have to remove the secondary clutch first? Is it in the way? Watching the HunterWorks video they removed it, But didn’t say why.
Yes - you do have to remove the secondary because you need to remove the inside half of the CVT case so you can get to the wet clutch housing. You don't have to disassemble the secondary sheave/spring but you do need to remove it. You will need some sort of a clutch holding tool to retorque.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,368 Posts
Yes - you do have to remove the secondary because you need to remove the inside half of the CVT case so you can get to the wet clutch housing. You don't have to disassemble the secondary sheave/spring but you do need to remove it. You will need some sort of a clutch holding tool to retorque.
When I removed the secondary on my Kodiak 700 to install a purple spring I couldn’t get it back on after installing the new spring. It refused to slide on all the way and after a hour of trying I just got pissed and put the nut on the shaft and tightened it whith my impact wrench. Worked fine and never an issue but I have been leery of taking one off again. But I know sooner or later I will need to take it off my Viking for at the very least routine service. Probably another reason I was hoping to not have to remove it for this. Any idea why it wouldn’t go on all the way?
Also what is the color of the stock secondary spring equivalent too? On the Kodiak and Grizzly it was orange and most liked the purple for upgrade on those forums. I was very disappointed in the purple spring because I noticed absolutely zero difference from the stock spring. So I’m not sure I want to make a change on the Viking. Also I loved the 1.5mm shims and 18gr weights on the Kodiak, wow what a difference. But I hated the shims in the Viking with the 18gr weights so I’m running the 18gr weights with no shims and have liked that.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
For what it is worth I had no weird problems with either sheave when doing the slugs. Just line up the splines well. Also remember to pinch the primary closed when taking off and putting on so your weights stay in place. Take you time and no shortcuts, especially with the old gasket scraping.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,368 Posts
Yah I know all too well about the weights falling out the hard way. I found that using 3 pieces 3” long of a old garden hose wedged between the cover and cam plate work great to keep them in place until everything is reassembled. The secondary sheave assembly problem wasnt the splines, I had them lined up and it would slide onto the shaft just not all the way back to be past all of the threads of the shaft. May have been a issue with the shaft I couldn’t see, but the impact wrench pushed it back into place. I just didn’t feel comfortable doing it that way, but didn’t have any choice.

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Sport4x4 I'm not sure what was going on with your secondary assembly install. I don't recall ever having that issue. As far as weights/shims/etc. I have the Hunterworks sheave with 18g weights and .5 mm shim and I'm very happy with the low end and take-off ease that combo provides. As far as springs, the variance tolerance in the secondary springs can overlap enough that maybe your purple was on the low end and basically just like stock - who knows. Only thing you could do is try a different one I guess. The slug kit is a bit of a project but the results are totally worth the effort in my opinion. The beauty of CVT mods is that you can truly make it work like YOU want it to work. Takes a little time though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts