Viking Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New member from south Louisiana
Currently own two Polaris Rangers with my two sons.
one 900, 10 months old no problems yet.
One 2011 800, can't say the same. Now in shop for engine rebuild for second time in 12 months. No hard riding. Just usual abuse at hunting camp.
When done with repairs going to replace it with something, not sure what just yet. Thinking hard about the Yamaha Viking.
THOUGHTS ?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I've had 1 Polaris Ranger, and that'll be the last, you'll love the Viking, Yamaha has never let me down

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mainly Deer Hunting. Naturally when winter hits some roads in the woods get a bit squirrely, but nothing like some of the mud rides I've seen.
Do you know if Yamaha offers extended warranty ?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
There are approx. 15 rigs (utv's) in our extended hunting group. Several years ago, it was about 70% Rangers-25% Rhinos and 5% other. Not many Rangers left....too many problems. Now it's almost all Rhinos...and then me with my Viking (only 1 Ranger left) The Yamaha motor/trans combo is simply MUCH more reliable that the Polaris line.....specially for hunting. The other option for me was the Pioneer but, for me, the Viking was a much better fit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have looked at Pioneer as well. Reports in my area are they are extremely reliable but with that automatic transmission they seem to struggle in muddy conditions, also kind of narrow. I like the width of the rangers, but to much trouble, that is why I'm looking into the Viking. Thanks for responding.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Welcome to the site, yeah ,the Honda is nice, but like you said with the auto style tranny, they dont have low gear like the Viking, and can struggle up hills, mud, from what i've heard.

Also, Yamaha offers a 4yr extended warranty which is what i got, they also offer less than that aswell, like 2yr, i think.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I looked at the Pioneer as well, but had to go with the Viking. I still have my '07 Grizzly that's been to Mud Nationals since new. The pioneer only has like three gears so you know that they have to be tall to get any speed out of it. In low range the Viking is geared twice as low as the pioneer and has 11 more horse power to begin with. One feature that the ranger has that you don't get on the Viking is turf mode. Pay attention to what your doing and you can still avoid digging your grass up, and that is with 28 inch mega mayhems on mine.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Oh yeah, Turf mode, its the only thing I miss about my Ranger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts