Viking Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

While much of the UTV world seems fixated on the ongoing battle for horsepower and Sport class supremacy, a handful of manufacturers are going all in with the Utility market. Honda's Pioneer 700-4 and Yamaha's Viking 700 both fall on the Utility side of the market we thought they were worth comparing against each other on paper.

If you’re not loyal to one brand over another, you might have a tough time deciding which of these two machines is right for you. To make an informed decision, users will have to closely examine what exactly they plan to use the machine for and even the type of terrain that the machine will most frequently be used in.

2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4 vs. Yamaha Viking 700 - Specs Shootout

·
Registered
128 Posts
Tire specs

It says the stock Bighorns are 6 ply. Mine are 4 ply and 2 ply. Is the article wrong, or was there a change for 2015?
I was a little disappointed when a bought it and saw that it had lighter ply tires then I expected. We have a lot of thorns where I ride.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong...but I don't think you could even buy 2 ply Bighorns. I think the ones that come stock are only from the factory and made specifically for the Viking.

I agree...pretty much worthless if you are really going to be out there!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
That is correct MNT, the stock tires that Yamaha, Can-am, Polaris, etc sell, are all, from what ive read over the years, are all less PLY than what you would buy at Rocky Mtn Atv, etc. The 28" 2.0s i have, if i remember correctly are 6ply. Im sure they make it that way, to get them at a cheaper price.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
WOOOW!!! I had the same exact thing happen on a test ride I did with the Pioneer. I was just above sea level, but it had 500lbs in the back...and myself and the salesperson in it. There was a slope behind the dealership and, when I tried to go up....that thing just flat ran out of power and stopped!
This year, I had all of my gear, myself and a friend in my Viking....and I was in 4wd lock pulling my 220lb deer up a very steep incline at 9,000ft. NO PROBLEM!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yeah on the Pioneer forum theres a ton of people that complain about the lack of low gearing

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Gues they should have done a little more research!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts