Viking Forum banner

Service schedule

17K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  cactus 
#1 ·
When is everybody changing there oil and diff fluid?? I mean I did the first service 200mi/20hr one but when again?? And how often after that?? Anybody have a knowledgable answer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Yea I think I'll do my diffs every time too.. I'll have to read up in my book on the schedules didn't see em the first time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
its kinda preference if you don't follow book ... I change mine every oil change and I do them regardless of miles or hours . I do mine every 500 miles or 25 hours. if I do some swamp riding I do it sooner. prob overkill but make me feel better.

#7 ·
Oil can typically be checked by smelling it and rubbing between two fingers to determine "stickiness" or see if there's a burnt smell. Not everybody's choice, but I've been a mechanic all my life and that's how I check it to ensure it doesn't go bad. I typically change the oil and filter once every year. At the same time, I change both diff's, the air filter AND, most importently, the CVT Belt. I rarely hit any water, but I do drive in snow during hunting season.

#8 ·
You change the belt every year?

#9 ·
I've had bad luck with breakage of those belts. I typically carry a spare and all the tools needed. I use the heavy duty belts, but I've noticed that both times it broke, I was at high speed....near 50mph. This last belt didn't even last a year. The ride has just 8K miles on it so I'm thinking the clutch should be good still. I'm going to start changing the belt just prior to leaving for hunting camp as I want to be able to trust it for the month long trip.

#10 ·
Are you using oem belts? I’ve never heard of one failing unless the sheave maintenance has been overdue. When was the last time you serviced those? Especially the secondary? General consensus is that the Yamaha oem belt is the best.

#12 ·
If your belt keeps breaking then something is seriously wrong there. As Sport said, these belts just never break. At 8000 miles your CVT should have been serviced long ago, so I'd be pulling the CVT down ASAP and finding what the problem is. I'm pretty sure Hunterworks sells the grease.

Reactions: Sport4x4
#16 ·
Interesting because a hunting friend has a UTV, if I recall correctly a Ranger, and it broke the belt last year during our hunt - and that belt was fairly new too. We operate in extreme conditions, 18 - 24" of snow and very, very cold. Mine seems to always do fine at lower speeds. It's when I push it to the upper limits of speed (45 - 50mph) that I've broken belts, both times. The thing that has kept me from digging into the clutch and CVT is knowing the pandemic depleted part levels and I'm afraid I might get into it and not be able to find the parts needed to get it back together. For example, just looked at Hunterworks and the Sheave combo is "discontinued." Looks like my normal parts outlet, MotoSports, might have everything...except the grease. BTW, what's the name of the grease on Hunterworks? I couldn't find Yamaha grease F or H and that's what my service manual calls for. Thanks for the help everyone. Really appreciate it. Interesting side note, my service manual doesn't even mention the clutch in the Periodic Mx charts.

#13 ·
Yes they do, it’s Tinkseal and far superior than the Yamaha grease. I just bought some from them last month to service mine

#14 ·
Your secondary is binding up if your breaking belts. HunterWorks also sells the spring compressor tool. And at that mileage you should pull the wet clutch out chk and service it also.

#15 ·
once a season or as needed - personally. depends on how u run it imho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.