Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several of you use your Vikings for plowing and I thought I would aggregate the available plow setups for the Viking in one place and we could discuss (read teach me a thing or two ;))

Denali Pro Series Plow Kit: $1,449

• County-style blade with curved design cuts wet snow & throws powder out of your path; made of 12 gauge steel
  • Impact Resistant Reinforcement System, includes edge stiffeners and stabilizer bar, to handle accidental impact
  • Sand-blasted powder coat with epoxy primer and TGIC Polyester top coat for ultimate corrosion protection, UV resistance and long lasting durability. Available in red, yellow and black
  • High strength, high yield 3/16" thick Grade 50 steel wear bar for maximum durability
  • Angle Blade ranges from 16" on the low side to 23" on the high side
  • Rubber flap stabilizer bar with upgraded (stiffer) rubber flap material which prevents snow from flying over the blade
  • Plow markers included
  • Height AND Angle Adjustable Premium steel skid feet
  • Includes 3 Year Warranty on the plow blade against manufacturer defect
  • Hydro Turn allows you to turn the plow side to side hydraulically without getting out.

EMP Viking Snow Plow: $1,049

• Fabricated from A36 American steel (not soft Chinese steel).
  • All parts are Laser cut to ensure a perfect fit, then MIG welded.
  • Powder coated for superior protection
  • Plow blade is 20" high and 72" wide.
  • Plow frame is made from 1/4" and 3/8" thick steel.
  • Attaches in less than a minute with two hitch pins.
  • Plow raises and lowers with your winch.
  • Includes: Yamaha Viking mounting plate.
  • Includes plow shoes.
  • EMP now offers rubber blades as an option
  • optional electric over hydraulic power angle sold separately

Yamaha Plow by WARN: $1,185

• 72" WARN ProVantage Straight Plow Blade.
  • WARN UTV Push Tubes.
  • WARN Machine Specific Front Plow Mount.
  • The WARN ProVantage Straight Blade is made from thick gauge steel with heavy-duty ribbing and a center cross member for added rigidity. Boxed design adds extra support.
  • Special low-friction powder coated finish helps keep material from sticking to the blade.
  • Thick, sturdy wear bar has a steep angle of attack for maximum surface scraping.
  • The WARN UTV Push Tube assembly features an extra-wide design for increased stability and durability, a forward trip system, and an interlocked rotating base plate for great strength, outstanding durability, and excellent impact resistance.
  • Designed for easy on/off with the rapid connection system.
  • The WARN Front Mount features the Rapid connection system: easy-on, easy-off thanks to self-locating pin design.
  • Mount is located at the front of the vehicle-no need to crawl under the UTV.
  • No need to remove mount during non-plowing seasons; no reduction in ground clearance.

UTV Snow Plow System By Cycle Country Plows: $799+

• Designed for fast attachment and removal using self-aligning connections and stainless push-pin fasteners
  • Maintains ATV’s original ground clearance and approach angle
  • 20” to 32” lift height (ground to wear bar) using winch lift
  • Built-in stops prevent over-lifting to protect ATV
  • Reinforced 5-position blade angle adjustment
  • Reversible pistol grip manual angle adjuster to clear winch cable

Eagle UTV Country Snow Plow System by American Manufacturing: $639

• 60" wide design specifically for UTVs
  • Manufactured from 12-gauge steel
  • Rolls the snow away from the path
  • Includes the top rubber flap
  • Available in black or yellow

So please school me on the ins and outs of plows. Will I need a winch? Which seems to be the most popular/most trusted/best quality? This will be something I'm looking at for next winter, Viking in the spring with all luck :D

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
You did a great job pulling this all together!

Yes you will need a winch no matter the system.

Keep in mind that our DENALI system can be purchased without the hydro-turn, and our current sale takes it to $743.99 including shipping. The entire kit with hydro-turn is also available for 7% off.

Thanks....and again, great job. Most thorough look I've seen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Moose Utility Plows (<--- link to their site)

Option 1: Front Mount (RM4)
Option 2: Traditional push-tube (under) mount (+/- $700) pictured below

• Optional longer push tubes for use with Tracks
  • Durable
Several blade options - country & straight
11 gauge blade
Rubber flap $25.00 for 72"
blah blah

·
Registered
29 Posts
Regarding the info above on the Warn/Yamaha plow... that is front-mount only. There is no Yamaha push-tube blade mount option AFAIK.

·
Registered
27 Posts
great info, been using cyclecountry for years, no broken parts, did have issues with Moose with some broken parts but that was years ago also been using superwinch with no issues, this plow takes about :30 to hook up and less to remove. terra35 winch comes with everything you need including a remote. the only thing I did was buy a rocker switch at NAPA to replace the handlebar mounted one that comes with it. be careful as some of the Warn winches ONLY come with remote (not much good for plowing snow) unless you have a plow jocky with you, grand kids work good for this, I cut a smaller then needed rectangular hole to the left of the steering wheel and worked it a little bigger till the rocker popped in. I had the same set-up with my Rhino for 5 years and plow my 150' drive my 2 neighbors 300' drives and a few push backs hear and there

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great info, been using cyclecountry for years, no broken parts, did have issues with Moose with some broken parts but that was years ago also been using superwinch with no issues, this plow takes about :30 to hook up and less to remove. terra35 winch comes with everything you need including a remote. the only thing I did was buy a rocker switch at NAPA to replace the handlebar mounted one that comes with it. be careful as some of the Warn winches ONLY come with remote (not much good for plowing snow) unless you have a plow jocky with you, grand kids work good for this, I cut a smaller then needed rectangular hole to the left of the steering wheel and worked it a little bigger till the rocker popped in. I had the same set-up with my Rhino for 5 years and plow my 150' drive my 2 neighbors 300' drives and a few push backs hear and there
no plow jockey's running around just yet ;)

thanks for the replies BTW!

Are you able to leave all plow mounts on year round or is just a select few?

·
Registered
27 Posts
cyclecountry stays on, no loss of ground clearance. The mount actually goes under your winch mount and extends beyond plastic, hardly noticeable, I posted pics on here somewhere.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Since this is a review/recommendation forum area, I'll throw in my $.02 about the Denali plow. I got mine back in November and put it through heavy use (I plow a mile of private dirt road plus several neighbors' places when they need help). LOVE the hydro-turn. I didn't have any such thing on my last plow (CC 60" on my Honda Rubicon ATV) and I was constantly on-and-off the 4 wheeler as you all know, turning the blade. Nothing beats having hydro-turn on a switch inside the Viking's cab. 72" plow paired with a WARN 4000 winch seriously gets the job done. So I've been really happy with the Denali product.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
bluemonkeymoto, does your winch mount have the 2" receiver under it? Mine does (the warn mount from Yamaha), and I was wondering if the Denali plow mount fits with it there?

Also, may I ask why you went with Denali, when it appears Blue Monkey Motorsports sells Moose plows?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
bluemonkeymoto, does your winch mount have the 2" receiver under it? Mine does (the warn mount from Yamaha), and I was wondering if the Denali plow mount fits with it there?

Also, may I ask why you went with Denali, when it appears Blue Monkey Motorsports sells Moose plows?

Thanks
No, it does not have a receiver under it.

I wanted a power-turning plow (tired of getting out all the time to change the angle over the years). And I wanted a 72" county blade (Moose only goes up to 60" in the county blade style).

The Denali was the only plow that met that criteria that wasn't backordered at the time. And I've been really pleased with it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Boss makes a plow that uses it's own hydraulics. comes completely off with the blade when not in use. No winch needed. The speed of the up/down and full angle are remarkable. Full left to right angle in less than 2 seconds. Same with down to full up.

You get what you pay for. Boss ATV plows are about $2k, the UTV plows are $3-4k depending on options and straight or V-plow.

When you plow professionally time is money and reliability is everything. Besides having a Boss truck plow and knowing the dependability, I wanted the security of knowing I didn't have to depend on a winch to raise and lower and then have a cable get tangled or winch go out.

One season down with the ATV plow. only issue, we wore out the wear bar. After 4 months of plowing, guess that's bound to happen!

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
My son in law needed a winch and plow for his 2014 Rancher. We got the winch and mount from MotoAlliance. Needless to say their customer service was excellent.

They don't make a plow mount for the 2014 Rancher so we had to go with a Warn plow. The quality seemed fairly good but the mounting system was awful to install. You really need a high lift and two people plus I'm concerned that the 4 U bolts used to hold it in place simply won't hold up. Unbelievably, the winch attachment point won't work with a winch hook. You have to attach your cable loop directly to a thin J hook and bolt it down. WTF?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cycle Country Plow Review

I had a Cycle Country plow on my Honda Rincon for 7 years with the only problem being the hole where the winch hook went in started to get oblong. Since I had such good luck with it, I decided to get another one for the Viking. Now I am starting to regret my purchase. The plow tube and the connection points are bolt together, I don't know what they were thinking. The plow doesn't feel as sturdy as it did on my ATV, with that being said, this crazy winter I have been doing much more plowing and I noticed that the plow tube and connection points are starting to bend on the right side. I have had to turn the plow 1 click to the left just to get ithe plow straight.

Now I would much rather the plow tube bend than ruin my frame, but it's not like I rammed anything hard enough to bend anything. On my ATV, I hit plowed snow piles hard enough to almost throw me off when I couldn't stop because of the ice under me, and it still looked brand new when I traded it in for the Viking.

Money is tight right now, so I can't just go out and buy a different manufacturers set up, so I might just have to weld some reinforcement plates to get me by.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have a 72inch moose plow. I am fortunate enough to be able to push straight and I really do not have to turn it often. I must say the Viking plows pretty impressive and some piles I moved were hard and deep. I am overall very happy with the purchase and I do not miss snow blowing the 1/2 mile long driveway we have!

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Sup dawgs? Well it's finally snowing out my way and I'll get to put my 6' warn plow to the test. It'll be my first time out. I'll be sure to report back. -- 6' plow -- 3500 lbs warn winch -- manual left/right pivot. Heck, I'll see if I can get a pick or two up while I'm out there.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
That stinks man. Yeah, sounds like you can make it work anyhow. Go for the welds when you get the chance. GL.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Excellent post on the plow info. One question I have is which of the plow setups fit on the Viking when you already have the Yamaha 2" front receiver with the Yamaha winch. The receiver setup came in handy when I had to winch from the rear of the machine. Just wonder which plows will work on the front with the receiver bracket.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
MRA, I bought my winch/plow as a package from Yamaha. 3500 Warn winch and Warn Snow Plow System. Warn should work.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
MRA, I bought my winch/plow as a package from Yamaha. 3500 Warn winch and Warn Snow Plow System. Warn should work.

FYI - 1st time plowing this morning. 8inches... All works well except the stupid mount pins keep falling out. Went to bolts and nuts.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts