Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting ready to get a wheel & tire package and was wondering if you can run the same size wheel on all four corners ? This is what im looking at ITP SS 112's in 14"x8" with 27x11 ITP Terra Cross R/T will i have any issues . Where i live ruts are a big problem . What about clutch, will i have to have mine done ?

·
Super Moderator
4,425 Posts
I don't know about the same size tires all around, I don't think you can as they will turn at different ratios and probably break the gearbox/clutch or whatever. I know you can't on 4wd tractors etc you must stick with the factory ratios all round.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mine has the same size all the way around. No issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leb337 nice ride , what size are your wheels and tires? How wide are your wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
854 Posts
I don't know about the same size tires all around, I don't think you can as they will turn at different ratios and probably break the gearbox/clutch or whatever. I know you can't on 4wd tractors etc you must stick with the factory ratios all round.
Good point. this is something worth investing into, don't want to do anything that can be prevented

·
Registered
326 Posts

No issues here either. 29.5x12x12 all around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
The width does not matter. As long as the height of the front and back are the same you will be fine.

·
Super Moderator
4,425 Posts
The width does not matter. As long as the height of the front and back are the same you will be fine.
Yeah sorry I didn't mean width, width is irrelevant you can do what you want with width. I was only talking about diameter, which as I said you cannot normally vary from factory, or if you do you must keep the same mathematical ratio of front to rear diameter. So with a tractor for instance that has say 30 inch tyres on the rear and 15 inch tyres on the front, the gearbox is designed so that when in 4wd the fronts cover the same amount of ground as the rears. If you go and put 30 inch tires on the front they will be turning too fast for the standard gearing in the gearbox and something has to give, either the tires will keep slipping or the gearbox will break.

I'm not sure how the Viking gearbox works but I would IMAGINE that you shouldn't vary the diameters of front and rear from stock. This of course won't be a problem when in 2wd as the fronts only freewheel and can turn at whatever speed they want, but in 4wd I'm not so sure. Maybe the clutch system works like a centre diff and allows slip? Might be worth a call to Yamaha to confirm?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I plan on keeping the same height on all four corners its the width i was worried about . I have one other question : what are the draw backs with running the same width in the front and back ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've run 26x 9 x 12 Bighorns on my Honda Rincon for the last 7 yrs with no issues. As long as the diameters are the same it should not be a problem.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I plan on keeping the same height on all four corners its the width i was worried about . I have one other question : what are the draw backs with running the same width in the front and back ?
If you go wider on the front, will they hit steering/suspension components? Will spacers be needed to compensated for extra width?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

No issues here either. 29.5x12x12 all around.

What width are your wheels front and rear ? Do you have spacers ?

·
Registered
326 Posts
7" wheel, 5+2 backspacing, no spacers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Tech Man , I have been looking with an 8" wide wheel

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Having hard time picking tires out :confused: looking at STI Roctane , ITP Terracross ,and the Sedona Rip Saw R/T . We have all conditions here rocky , mud, clay ,hard packed , gravel . Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They are a killer tire , I thought they were more towards a rock crawler tire , thanks for the info , i looked up the price the are $193.00 for a 26.5x11x14 little high , I thought . But then again you get what you pay for .

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
They are a killer tire , I thought they were more towards a rock crawler tire , thanks for the info , i looked up the price the are $193.00 for a 26.5x11x14 little high , I thought . But then again you get what you pay for .
Found them for $184 Ratings, reviews and specifications for Pit Bull Rocker Uber XOR tires

If you are going to be in some serious rocks, I would recommend the 12" tires/wheels $177 each Ratings, reviews and specifications for Pit Bull Rocker Uber XOR tires

Free shipping!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Mass-n-Trash I never even thought of Discount tire . Around where i live we dont have alot of rock riding . Why would you stay with the 12 in and not the 14 in wheels ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks Mass-n-Trash I never even thought of Discount tire . Around where i live we dont have alot of rock riding . Why would you stay with the 12 in and not the 14 in wheels ?
12 inch wheels will give a better ride on rocky terrain because of sidewall flex. It stands to reason the more sidewall you have the more area you have to flex. I personally prefer 12 in for mud riding as well, but that is so I can over inflate them and have extra buoyancy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts