Viking Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had used the Yamaha relay and pig tail listed in the custom reverse lighting thread to install backup light that were switched on when the Viking was placed in reverse. They work fine for more than a year but do not work now. The actual lights work if power is directly connected to them. I replaced the relay and checked the pig tail for shorts but still cant get power to the backup light when placing the Viking in reverse. Is there a fuse somewhere that could be causing the problem. This has me puzzled

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hmm. Could it be that you're not grounded to the frame? The reverse lights are ground triggered.

·
Super Moderator
3,926 Posts
The very right hand fuse is headlight the very left one backup, so check those. As skrillz mentioned the lights are switched on by the earth, so the tail lights have to be mounted in plastic and can't be earthed to the chassis.

Check fuses.

Check the reverse switch on top of the gearbox, this activates the relay which earths the lights turning them on.

Check that the relay is activating.

Be careful, the reverse switch burns out easily if something is hooked up incorrectly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! I forgot to mention that I had checked the fuses, the isolation from grounding of the lights, and the plug in the rear for power. There is no power to it when the Viking is in reverse so I'm assuming that the reverse switch is the problem. I ordered a new one today off of amazon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dumbfounded! I installed a new relay and reverse switch for reverse lights. I have some power now but not 12V. I only have 1V at the 2 prong connector in the rear of the machine. I followed the installation instruction on here when I originally installed them and they worked fine. They just quit working one day.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
maybe the plug connection is dirty or defective,can you check voltage before the plug?
Like trailcutter is suggesting you have to trace the voltage thru all of the wires and plugs. If it was't for a new relay that is where I would have placed blame. I have had 3 aftermarket ones go bad and let a low voltage dribble thru. You could have a high resistance short somewhere.

Sent from the bottom of a whiskey bottle

·
Super Moderator
3,926 Posts
There should be 12v at the lights all the time as they are earth switched?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to thank everyone for all the suggestions. I found the problem the other day. The thing was driving me crazy so I stepped a way for a couple of days before trying to find the problem. It turns out that the wires going to the reverse light factory connection and a ground wire to one of the tail lights managed to get pinched by the hing when the bed was dumped at some point. It was not obvious because of the protective materiel on the wires. I happened to run my hand over the wires going from the rear of the bed to the cab and felt a slight difference in the wire wrap. When I unwrapped the wire the two reverse wires were cut and the insulation on the taillight ground was damaged. They work now! I wanted to post this in hope that it may save someone so frustration in the future.

THANKS AGAIN! YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!

Logcabin

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Awesome

Sent from the bottom of a whiskey bottle

·
Super Moderator
3,926 Posts
Wow there you go, good work!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts