Viking Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month back I was out cruising around and we stopped for lunch and the Viking wouldn't start. I thought it was a low battery or something so we jumped it and it was good to go. No problems since then.....
Cut to this weekend and I was going through a creek crossing and hit a deep spot and lost traction. I shut the engine off before the intake was underwater because I am new at this and thought that was the best course of action. After we pulled it out, I drained the belt housing and checked the oil... didn't have any water in it that I could tell and it looked like brand new oil. I let it sit for about and hour and then rechecked.

No water in oil.... I didn't have the tools to pull the plug out and we were in the middle of nowhere. So I tried starting it and nothing. The starter relay didn't click and nothing happened. I got a error code 12 on the screen and my battery was around 9 when I had the key on to crank. Someone came by with a jump box and we tried to jump it.. Nothing, no sound from the engine trying to turn over and no click from the relay. I still have the error code 12 to this point. Oil has been changed.

So we tried to jump the starter directly. Nothing. The starter sparked but no noise from the starter. After I got towed back to the trailer I tried to jump the relay and see if it would start that way. Nope.

Jump to last night. I pulled the dipstick again and low and behold, light tan, water mixed oil..... Did I screw up by trying to start it and there's no sound from any starter components because the engine is seized? How can I check to see if the engine is hydro-locked if the starter system isn't functioning properly? Should I start with changing the relay or the actual starter to find out if the engine is good?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get what your saying... If it moves then that means it isn't hydro-locked and I didn't break anything. Then I will just have to figure out the electrical issue to get it to start.

·
Administrator
1,780 Posts
I get what your saying... If it moves then that means it isn't hydro-locked and I didn't break anything. Then I will just have to figure out the electrical issue to get it to start.
Correct, and change the oil, may have to to it multiple times..

Ive read that some guys have used marvel mystery oil to help remove the water from the crank case.. Maybe do a search on that.

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts
Fault code 12 is a Crankshaft Position Sensor fault, the engine won't start while this code is up. Find it, unplug it, clean the connection, make sure there isn't any water in the plug, or a stick hasn't ripped the plug off, or the sensor isn't loose. You may have to replace it.

Then as above, pull the spark plug, see if you can get it to crank, you can pull the bung out of the end of the crankshaft and use a rattle gun and socket to turn the motor over if it won't, but make sure the spark plug is out first! And if your battery was reading 9 volts then it is most likely faulty.

Check all of the start circuit, especially the negative lead that bolts to the crankcase next to the starter. You've jumped the relay so you've eliminated a faulty relay. Check the fuses. You need to make sure that your battery is good before you do any of that otherwise you'll just be chasing your tail.

Maybe it's the fault code not letting it turn over, you need to fix that first. Once it's fixed the code will clear and it will probably start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so the engine cranks when I jump the relay. The error code 12 goes away when I jump the relay. I got all the water out and changed the oil. The battery is definitely bad. It won’t hold a charge even after jumping it and charging it.
Relay and battery are on order. However, even though the code is cleared and the engine cranks, it still won’t turn over and run.
The spark plug will get changed tomorrow to rule that out. Any other thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts
Was there water in the cylinder? If so the spark plug will be wet and won't fire.
Code 12 is completely gone now? Seems strange? Maybe the sensor was wet.
You said in your first post that you jumped the relay and it wouldn't crank, now you're saying it will?
Don't change anything until you put a new battery and spark plug in it. Dud batteries cause all sorts of strange issues.

Reactions: bd_skrillz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think when I tried to jump the relay the first time, I freaked out because of the sparking and didn’t continue.... good thing too because at point I hadn’t cleared the cylinder of water. Code 12 is gone after the jump of the relay today and hasn’t come back yet.
I will change the battery and the spark plug tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Administrator
1,780 Posts
I wouldn't worry about any fault codes right now until you get a good battery in there, and it sees the correct voltage. Like mentioned before, a weak battery and low voltage causes weird things.

And one oil change won't get all the water out. Keep an eye on that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts