Viking Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,

I rented a t-rex 4 over the weekend with my family on a camping trip. The machine had 3500 miles on it. It was a 2012. We picked up the machine at 8:00 and returned it at 7:30. We put 105 miles on it. Trails start at 5,500 feet and top out at over 10,000 where the snow is still lingering. It is a bit early to be on top of the mountain. The top had about 8-15 feet of a snow cornice on the north facing slope.

We were in an area that I have been to many times on my ATVs over the years so I knew which trails I wanted to hit. (Arapeen trail system) We ran into too much snow at the top so I couldn't make the loop I wanted to do.

Here are my thoughts/review on the T-4. This is a rental so keep that in mind through all of this....

Engine: The 750 had plenty of power for me. I am no speed demon any more. The T4 went up the hills with loads of power to spare. It was much more loud than I would have thought once you got over 10 MPH. It also made the front passenger and driver seat very warm. Low range was great It allowed us to creep up the mountain when things got really rocky. Drive train seemed fine. A little rough but very loud. I couldn't talk to the back passengers unless slowing down to a slow speed. The engine braking did a great job. We went down a really steep and rocky laden hill and in low range it kept my speed to 2-4 mph without touching the brakes. I loved the engine braking!

Suspension and Steering: This thing was really rough! I have ridden in a ranger 700 on the same trails and the ranger was like a flying carpet compared to this T4. The steering at stand still was really hard to to turn. I am not strong but my wife wouldn't have been able to turn the wheel while stopped on pavement. On the ruts and rocks it fought me constantly. This makes me want power steering on whatever machine I get! But the ride quality was really rough. I wan't impressed. My old Honda 300 and this T4 felt like they were equally as rough in the suspension side of things. The rear seat was more bumpy than the front. Now this machine had some miles on it but the suspension didn't do a good job at all!

Brakes: Didn't seem to work all that well. I didn't really have to use them too much since the engine braking worked nicely. They were stiff and didn't stop us as well as I would have liked.

Storage: For a play machine the bed was fine We strapped in a large cooler and tackle box with fishing poles. That was about as much as we could fit without getting too creative or engineering something different. It had a glove box that was about the same size as a car. No center console. It had 4 drink holders which worked great. We stuffed our jackets under my 3 year old's feet when we weren't wearing them.

Overall comfort- This machine has 4 real seats. I only sat in the drivers seat so that is all I can share. The ergonomics weren't the greatest. I am 6 ft tall 190 pounds. The whole passenger area seemed a bit cramped. Like it was made for someone who was a few inches shorter. The wheelwell was right where my left foot wanted to be. But my biggest complaint on the whole machine was THE GAS PEDAL! I didn't notice this until about mid day, but the way the pedal is located it put my ankle at a really bad position. It was awful! I looked forward to the really steep downhills where I didn't have to give it any gas so I could "rest" my ankle. That pedal was my biggest complaint. It didn't start to bother me until 4-5 hours into the day. It did have a roof and that made things really nice when out on the trails. The roof was awesome for keeping some of the branches from poking us.

It used 5.2 gallons of gas over 105 miles. When done I filled it to the brim where it was spilling over the filler tube. Not too bad.

It handled really heavy. The T4 didn't seem too agile. But it is a larger machine. It fit on the trails fine but I had to make sure to make wide turns through the trees. I think it is about the same size as the Viking?

It was a blast and if I needed a 4 seater, I would most certainly look at the newer 800 model. That being said I have 5 in my family and don't like the size of the Viking or Ranger Crew models. What to do....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nice review. It seems close to all the T4 reviews I have read...especially the gas pedal complaint.

I have 5 in my family and don't like the size of the Viking or Ranger Crew models. What to do....
I have a family of 6 and I am in the same boat. I think Viking 6s and Ranger crews seem so big. The just release Kawasaki Mule Pro-FXT seems like a good contender.

I have also contemplated a crew cab pick-up too. You can buy a decent used crew cab for the price of a crew UTV. Then you have AC, roll-up windows, larger bed, and it is road legal.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Great review, thanks for posting!!

I had a 2010 Ranger 500, and like you mentioned, mine also rode so smoooooth, like a Cadiliac.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I liked your review, good read.
Never had the opportunity to get seat time in one of these so it's great to have a quality review like this!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts