Viking Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody replace rear rear transmission out put seal?just wondering if it can be changed without removing engine?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have never done it but do you have a service manual that would have the procedure in it to answer your question?

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
I don't think it will be in the manual. I'll have a look later. Surely you can do it with the engine in?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have. Got to get the rear differential out of the way. But I think I was able to leave the axels hooked up. Hardest thing was trying to torque the nut back on after putting it together. I was able to get a pipe wrench on the collar. After the fact though, I thought I could of just had it in gear and have someone stand on the breaks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have. Got to get the rear differential out of the way. But I think I was able to leave the axels hooked up. Hardest thing was trying to torque the nut back on after putting it together. I was able to get a pipe wrench on the collar. After the fact though, I thought I could of just had it in gear and have someone stand on the breaks.
so you can move the diff back far enough to remove drive shaft?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Might be easier to remove the top bracket that holds the rear diff. Then the lower bolts come out and the rear diff will move rearward with the axles still connected.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yes you have to remove both brackets to slide it back far enough

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
decided to take it to dealer to change seal and clutch cleaning,it took two hours to change seal,but have to wait for clutch parts to finish job.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
picked up machine from dealer saturday ,after clutch rebuild,rear bearing and bushings,replace seal, and labour was around $1,700 now i see bearing cap is missing on steering shaft and have to replace the hole shaft.

·
Registered
199 Posts
picked up machine from dealer saturday ,after clutch rebuild,rear bearing and bushings,replace seal, and labour was around $1,700 now i see bearing cap is missing on steering shaft and have to replace the hole shaft.
Why didn’t they do that? Especially at $1700??? Ouch

·
Registered
199 Posts
At $1700 in labor they had more than 2 hours into it. You earlier stated when you took it in it would be 2 hours of labor...where was the rest of the labor time invested?

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
At $1700 in labor they had more than 2 hours into it. You earlier stated when you took it in it would be 2 hours of labor...where was the rest of the labor time invested?
$1700 in parts and labor to do everything, only two hours of the 1700 spent fixing the rear seal.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[QU
$1700 in parts and labor to do everything, only two hours of the 1700 spent fixing the rear seal.
OTE="cactus, post: 587154, member: 3665"]
[/QUOTE]
yes 5 hours labour for everything and around $900 for parts.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why didn’t they do that? Especially at $1700??? Ouch
mechanic took a quick look at it before i brought it home and wasn't sure what the problem was so i brought it home and saw cap was missing,now am waiting for shaft.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts