Viking Forum banner

Ready for hunting season

22K views 82 replies 21 participants last post by  BadM0nkey 
#1 ·
The dogs and the Viking are ready for 8/15/14.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks great Outdoorsman! Tell us some more about the dogs and what you use them for if you can.

#4 ·
Those 4 in the box are "Walker" deer dogs. I also have 4 "Walker speed dogs" that I field trial in fox pens, and I have 2 red tick **** dogs. And a black lab for ducks.

Reactions: bullet1
#5 ·
Walker is the guy that breeds them I take it? So all for deer apart from the lab? I use Catahoula's for hogs is the reason I ask.

#6 ·
Walker is just the breed of the dogs, but there are many different sub breeds of walker dogs and the way thery are built. The 4 that are trained to run white tail deer, are a little bit more stocky than the others. The other 4 are walker breed, but they are long legged and slim and fast. They mainly trail and run foxes and coyotes. The red tick is another sub breed of walker dog but they tree raccoons. I use to have some hog dogs but I got tired of alway taking them to the vet to get stiched up.

#12 ·
Sounds really good, the reason I run the Catahoula now is because he only bails (bays) and rarely gets injured. Most repairs that he does need I stitch myself. Here's a pic, I don't use a cage I use quick release solenoids hooked to the dogs collar.

Attachments

#7 ·
I love that dog box. Looks awesome

#8 ·
Nice to set up your viking the way you want it to assist the hunting....nice set up!

#9 ·
Thanks guys.

#14 ·
Yeah you're right Endure they are fairly common in the South where they originated along with the Black Mouth Cur and a few other breeds. The breed is quite variable depending on which clan down there runs them lol. Jim Bowie and Teddy Roosevelt used them apparently.

In Australia they aren't very common and nobody generally can pick which breed my dog is, although surprisingly the odd person does know! There are three breeders here scattered across Australia that I know of, which isn't many considering that Australia is physically the same size as North America. All three breeders have been to the US and imported different lines, a costly and lengthy process seeing that we don't have rabies here.

My dog, Lucky, is about four years old, he is a great dog, an excellent hunter with good nose and strong drive. I only hunt pigs with him although he does round up my chickens for me! The breed is becoming popular here in hog hunting circles as they tend to only bay pigs (we call it bail) and generally don't touch them, which makes for a much more exciting hunt and a lot less injuries to the dogs.

#15 ·
Catahoula is what most people use down here in the south for hog dogs. I know a couple guys that have catch dogs that are pit bull. They put leather vest on them to try and stop hogs form ripping the dogs up, but they still get tore up pretty bad. Cactus, do you use Garmin GPS tracking collars or a different brand like Quick Track or Wildlife System?

#16 ·
Outdoorsman Garmin are very popular here, we use DC30's, 40's, 50's, and the new Alpha. Unfortunately The DC's aren't legal to use here as the MURS frequencies that they run on are already in use here by forestry etc and Garmin aren't interested in making a different frequency unit for us or the rest of the world. I see Garmin is disabling it's DC units in some European countries where they are illegal to use through software updates. Although technically illegal here everyone still uses them without any issues.

Wildlife Trackers were very popular here and some still prefer them.

Dogmaster Tech1 is also in use here and they do make a version in the 900mHz range for us and it is fully legal in Australia.

Those of us that don't use Bay dogs run our dogs in armor vests too, usually made out of seatbelt or fire hose material. They work very well although some dogs still get ripped as you've said. We call these style of dogs luggers, as they "lug" the pig by the ears.

Touch wood I've only ever had one serious rip in my Cat, that was a tusk up under the chin by a big cranky boar which needed 6 staples. The blood in this photo was all from the dog.

Attachments

#17 ·
Hogs are getting out of control where I'm at in South Carolina. I put out 200lbs of corn last Friday and by Tuesday it was all gone. The deer didn't have a chance to eat befor the hogs got it all. Thats OK though, I got a new AK-47 and I'm going to test it out Saturday:D:D:D

Reactions: tmcelheny
#18 ·
Haha nice, unfortunately AK's are banned in this country since 1996 when a looney shot 32 people in Tasmania.

#19 ·
Dang that stinks, AR-15s and AK-47s are two of my favorite weapons.

#23 ·
Yeah it stinks alright, we had a massive gun buy back scheme at the time and most people handed theirs in, not all did though :cool: I can have a semi auto shotgun and 22 only legally under a special license, but hunters or the general public can't have any semi-autos. If you earn your living from pest control you can have an AR etc on a yearly permit, but the police here make it very difficult to go that way.

Too bad they didn't think to ban shooting people first....
Yeah they let them all out of the mental institutions because they couldn't afford to keep them anymore, then because gun control is so tight here this guy had a free run, no one could shoot him.

#22 ·
Hand built myself.

#24 ·
I don't see why you need an AK-47 to shoot at hogs or deer. Those types of guns should be banned. Just because a weapon exists doesn't mean that it should be available to the general public (even with background checks and such). Isn't a regular rifle a powerful enough weapon to get your hunting done?

Most people outside of America agree with me I think.

I'm from Canada myself.

#25 ·
An AK-47 is actually quite a bit LESS powerful than most 'regular' rifles. The cartridge is actually somewhat marginal for large game like deer.

We have the potential for hi-jacking this thread fairly quickly, but I'll add one more tidbit. Here in the US the real issue with so-called "assault weapons" really isn't their use in crime - they are used in only a tiny fraction of all murders (about 1.5%, less than knives (13%), blunt objects (4%), and even bare hands or feet (6%)). Therefore, assault weapons bans in theory could only prevent a tiny fraction of murders, and in reality probably wouldn't prevent any at all!

The real motive behind so-called assault weapons bans are their use by gun-control advocates to frighten un-educated members of the public (and in particular the news media) into supporting ever-increasing gun control legislation. Their ultimate goal is the elimination of ALL gun ownership. Assault weapons are just a stepping stone along that path.

#28 ·
Bug Doc, I don't think you could have explained that any better.

#30 ·
Well said Bug Doc. Glad the other view lives in Canada.

Reactions: tmcelheny
#31 ·
We shouldn't be too hard on Hawkman. The news media does an excellent job of portraying guns like the AK and AR as overly powerful weapons whose only purpose is to kill people. If you don't have any first-hand experience with them, how would you know different? :confused:

The better approach is to try to educate people about the real issues and motives. Once they see how often gun-control advocates are willing to lie to the public to get their way, then minds can be changed.

Back to assault weapons. First, let's compare the cartridges. Most AK's are chambered for the 7.62x39 cartridge. It has a rather low muzzle velocity, which only lets it develop about 1500 ft.lbs. of energy at the muzzle. The most common AR platforms use the 5.56x45 cartridge, which pushes a much smaller bullet to a higher velocity, thus develops a similar amount of energy (1300 ft.lbs.). Compare this to the most popular deer cartridge in the US, the 30-06 Springfield, which develops about 2600 ft.lbs. of muzzle energy - nearly double that of the most popular assault weapons!

Now compare the actions. AK's and AR's are gas-operated semi-automatics, meaning they fire one shot per pull of the trigger (fully automatic guns are only legal in the US with special licenses, and are quite rare). This is the same operation as many popular deer rifles (Browning BAR, Remington 750, Benelli R1). There is no functional difference between a so-called assault rifle and these hunting rifles. The only difference is the appearance. Period. Gun control advocates want to scare people with the appearance of assault weapons, but in reality they are no more lethal (and in some ways much less lethal) than ordinary hunting rifles.

#35 ·
Just checked trail camera and was very excited about what I found, and I realized the date is wrong on my camera

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.