Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dogs and the Viking are ready for 8/15/14.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
Looks great Outdoorsman! Tell us some more about the dogs and what you use them for if you can.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those 4 in the box are "Walker" deer dogs. I also have 4 "Walker speed dogs" that I field trial in fox pens, and I have 2 red tick **** dogs. And a black lab for ducks.

Reactions: bullet1

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
Walker is the guy that breeds them I take it? So all for deer apart from the lab? I use Catahoula's for hogs is the reason I ask.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Walker is just the breed of the dogs, but there are many different sub breeds of walker dogs and the way thery are built. The 4 that are trained to run white tail deer, are a little bit more stocky than the others. The other 4 are walker breed, but they are long legged and slim and fast. They mainly trail and run foxes and coyotes. The red tick is another sub breed of walker dog but they tree raccoons. I use to have some hog dogs but I got tired of alway taking them to the vet to get stiched up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I love that dog box. Looks awesome

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice to set up your viking the way you want it to assist the hunting....nice set up!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
Walker is just the breed of the dogs, but there are many different sub breeds of walker dogs and the way thery are built. The 4 that are trained to run white tail deer, are a little bit more stocky than the others. The other 4 are walker breed, but they are long legged and slim and fast. They mainly trail and run foxes and coyotes. The red tick is another sub breed of walker dog but they tree raccoons. I use to have some hog dogs but I got tired of alway taking them to the vet to get stiched up.
Sounds really good, the reason I run the Catahoula now is because he only bails (bays) and rarely gets injured. Most repairs that he does need I stitch myself. Here's a pic, I don't use a cage I use quick release solenoids hooked to the dogs collar.

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sounds really good, the reason I run the Catahoula now is because he only bails (bays) and rarely gets injured. Most repairs that he does need I stitch myself. Here's a pic, I don't use a cage I use quick release solenoids hooked to the dogs collar.

A Leopard dog! Very cool. A buddy who ran hounds years ago had a few of this breed. Other than his I never knew of any other out west. I think they are popular in the south still. How common are they in Australia? Is he about a two year old?

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
Yeah you're right Endure they are fairly common in the South where they originated along with the Black Mouth Cur and a few other breeds. The breed is quite variable depending on which clan down there runs them lol. Jim Bowie and Teddy Roosevelt used them apparently.

In Australia they aren't very common and nobody generally can pick which breed my dog is, although surprisingly the odd person does know! There are three breeders here scattered across Australia that I know of, which isn't many considering that Australia is physically the same size as North America. All three breeders have been to the US and imported different lines, a costly and lengthy process seeing that we don't have rabies here.

My dog, Lucky, is about four years old, he is a great dog, an excellent hunter with good nose and strong drive. I only hunt pigs with him although he does round up my chickens for me! The breed is becoming popular here in hog hunting circles as they tend to only bay pigs (we call it bail) and generally don't touch them, which makes for a much more exciting hunt and a lot less injuries to the dogs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Catahoula is what most people use down here in the south for hog dogs. I know a couple guys that have catch dogs that are pit bull. They put leather vest on them to try and stop hogs form ripping the dogs up, but they still get tore up pretty bad. Cactus, do you use Garmin GPS tracking collars or a different brand like Quick Track or Wildlife System?

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
Outdoorsman Garmin are very popular here, we use DC30's, 40's, 50's, and the new Alpha. Unfortunately The DC's aren't legal to use here as the MURS frequencies that they run on are already in use here by forestry etc and Garmin aren't interested in making a different frequency unit for us or the rest of the world. I see Garmin is disabling it's DC units in some European countries where they are illegal to use through software updates. Although technically illegal here everyone still uses them without any issues.

Wildlife Trackers were very popular here and some still prefer them.

Dogmaster Tech1 is also in use here and they do make a version in the 900mHz range for us and it is fully legal in Australia.

Those of us that don't use Bay dogs run our dogs in armor vests too, usually made out of seatbelt or fire hose material. They work very well although some dogs still get ripped as you've said. We call these style of dogs luggers, as they "lug" the pig by the ears.

Touch wood I've only ever had one serious rip in my Cat, that was a tusk up under the chin by a big cranky boar which needed 6 staples. The blood in this photo was all from the dog.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hogs are getting out of control where I'm at in South Carolina. I put out 200lbs of corn last Friday and by Tuesday it was all gone. The deer didn't have a chance to eat befor the hogs got it all. Thats OK though, I got a new AK-47 and I'm going to test it out Saturday:D:D:D

Reactions: tmcelheny

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
Haha nice, unfortunately AK's are banned in this country since 1996 when a looney shot 32 people in Tasmania.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dang that stinks, AR-15s and AK-47s are two of my favorite weapons.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts