Viking Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we are lucky in that we have a couple of Yamaha dealers that aren't too far apart. One dealer said they re-clutch the Viking for our higher elevation. I know we have to re-jet carburators, for our altitude but why to they "re-clutch" a UTV? What is done to re-clutch and is it a benefit?

Also would you recommend having it re-clutched or not?

The trails I ride are anywhere from 7,500- 10,000 feet above sea level.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The higher the elevation the thinner the air. This means any normally aspirated engine will make less power as elevation increases. To compensate for the reduced power the dealer is re-clutching to better match the centrifugal clutch to the output. They usually change the springs and weights. The Viking is fuel injected so you don't need to worry about re-jetting, the electronics deal with that automatically. This process is very common for snowmobiles that run in the mountains. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
A formula I have seen on line is "elevation x .03 x horsepower at sea level"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The higher the elevation the thinner the air. This means any normally aspirated engine will make less power as elevation increases. To compensate for the reduced power the dealer is re-clutching to better match the centrifugal clutch to the output. They usually change the springs and weights. The Viking is fuel injected so you don't need to worry about re-jetting, the electronics deal with that automatically. This process is very common for snowmobiles that run in the mountains. Hope this helps

The dealer who didn't re-clutch said that it was smoke in mirrors.

So is a re-clutch good for my altitude? My biggest thing is to have a safe reliable vehicle. With a family I am not a hot rod any longer, so speed isn't my primary concern.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If ultimate performance isn't what you are after then I would just use the Viking as it was intended. The fuel injection will compensate for the altitude. You will lose some horsepower but I imagine the drives ability would be fine. If you never drive it at sea level you won't know what you are missing. Hope this helps

·
Registered
180 Posts
When I did my sled a few years ago I thought Yamaha gave me the altitude kit. You might want to contact Yamaha directly.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It is true and you go with lighter weights to raise rpm up some.

Actually we never do it though, low return.

However our machined sheave comes with lighter weights for better performance through the shift phase plus the machining process does it too.

IF you have much larger tires a stiffer secondary spring would help too.

Todd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts