Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I searched on here and didn't see a definite answer. Im hoping in the next week or I should be purchasing an EPS Viking. I dislike the look of the Viking with the stock wheel/tire combo but LOVE the looks of a lot of the ones on this forum with aftermarket wheels and tires installed.
My question is what are the pro and cons of running a 14 inch rim as opposed to the stock 12's. Also, what are all the pros and cons of running 27-28's over 25's. I would like to run 27's but I don't want any problems with clutching or lots of power loss. Im mainly a trail rider with a little bit of work around the house. Not big into mud bogging or sinking my equipment in a pond. Has anyone experienced any problems by running larger tires and or wheels?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Only con I can think of runnin a 14" rim is not as many tires available. Power loss depends on tire weight. My 27" itp mudlite xtr's are heavy and do take a bit of power away. But guys running 28" bighorns dont see much difference bc they are lighter. I think im only one who has had issues with Viking. In that the front driveshaft is a pressed fit two piece and are made to slip under load. Mine was replaced but took two months bc parts were not available. I think this will be a week point in the Viking.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only con I can think of runnin a 14" rim is not as many tires available. Power loss depends on tire weight. My 27" itp mudlite xtr's are heavy and do take a bit of power away. But guys running 28" bighorns dont see much difference bc they are lighter. I think im only one who has had issues with Viking. In that the front driveshaft is a pressed fit two piece and are made to slip under load. Mine was replaced but took two months bc parts were not available. I think this will be a week point in the Viking.
So do you somewhat attribute your driveshaft failure to the bigger heavier tires or are you just unlucky?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think my big lugs helped that out and the riding I do. I push mine to do everything the rzr's do. But I do believe thats ehy they put small tires on them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also hear that the 14 inch wheels can get the bead pinched easier than the 12's. One big wonder I also had was does the ride get rougher when the larger wheel is used being that there is less tire and air to help absorb the bumps. Kind of the same concept of the ghetto cruisers with 24 inch wheels and little O rings as tires look like they don't take the bumps too well.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
14" wheels are not favorable if you are going to be riding in very rocky terrain in which you might want to run lower tire pressure. Less side wall means less bulge...means more damage to wheels and pinch flats.

On the other side...14" wheels equal less sidewall...equals less tire flex in cornering.

Looks...equals personal preference. But, with 14" wheels there is obviously more wheel.

25 vs 26 vs 27 etc. Every inch literally changes the gearing and the amount of rotational mass. Having said that, IMO, you could go to a 26-27 tire and notice very little. You could go to a 28" light weight tire and probably still not notice a whole bunch. I would say that regular to heavy 28's, or anything 29 and up, would be noticeably helped with clutching. The larger tires do equal more ground clearance as well. Then again, so does a smaller tire with a lift kit.

So your application is the most important factor. I'm running heavyish 27's on 12" wheels. I do know I'm going to be in the rocks and shale, and that was my trade off for 8 ply tires. I don't really care about the top end and most of what I do will be put putting around the hills. I have a friend with a stock Rhino that handles these same tires well....but he's not into speed either. We both have still only given up 2 or 3 MPH on the top end anyways.

In short, if you not into speed...the biggest thing with the 25"-27" tires (and 12"-14" wheels) is looks. Light 28's are probably going to fit I into that bunch as well....but are on the edge.

Ground clearance is kind of a big deal with any UTV, and one thing you will notice is that you probably have 10 1/2" stock. That isn't real bad...but it aint great either. Put a few hundred pounds in one of these and you will be down around 8". You would be hard pressed to find many that would argue that these shouldn't have come with, and could handle, larger tires in the first place.

Just my opinion ;) Hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Ive always heard 14" setup makes it moe stable, better control, etc.

·
Registered
139 Posts
While were on the topic. I'm interested in buying some m20 kore 14" with a heavier 27 inch motoclaw or a true 28 inch bighorn which i hear would have to be a 30x14 to be 28 inch diameter. Any truth to that? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I also hear that the 14 inch wheels can get the bead pinched easier than the 12's. One big wonder I also had was does the ride get rougher when the larger wheel is used being that there is less tire and air to help absorb the bumps. Kind of the same concept of the ghetto cruisers with 24 inch wheels and little O rings as tires look like they don't take the bumps too well.
This is true but...remember tire composition is a big factor as well. There are soft tires and there are stiff tires, and everything in between.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
While were on the topic. I'm interested in buying some m20 kore 14" with a heavier 27 inch motoclaw or a true 28 inch bighorn which i hear would have to be a 30x14 to be 28 inch diameter. Any truth to that? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could be wrong but I believe the Bighorns run true to size, if not a bit more.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
14" wheels are not favorable if you are going to be riding in very rocky terrain in which you might want to run lower tire pressure. Less side wall means less bulge...means more damage to wheels and pinch flats.

On the other side...14" wheels equal less sidewall...equals less tire flex in cornering.

Looks...equals personal preference. But, with 14" wheels there is obviously more wheel.

25 vs 26 vs 27 etc. Every inch literally changes the gearing and the amount of rotational mass. Having said that, IMO, you could go to a 26-27 tire and notice very little. You could go to a 28" light weight tire and probably still not notice a whole bunch. I would say that regular to heavy 28's, or anything 29 and up, would be noticeably helped with clutching. The larger tires do equal more ground clearance as well. Then again, so does a smaller tire with a lift kit.

So your application is the most important factor. I'm running heavyish 27's on 12" wheels. I do know I'm going to be in the rocks and shale, and that was my trade off for 8 ply tires. I don't really care about the top end and most of what I do will be put putting around the hills. I have a friend with a stock Rhino that handles these same tires well....but he's not into speed either. We both have still only given up 2 or 3 MPH on the top end anyways.

In short, if you not into speed...the biggest thing with the 25"-27" tires (and 12"-14" wheels) is looks. Light 28's are probably going to fit I into that bunch as well....but are on the edge.

Ground clearance is kind of a big deal with any UTV, and one thing you will notice is that you probably have 10 1/2" stock. That isn't real bad...but it aint great either. Put a few hundred pounds in one of these and you will be down around 8". You would be hard pressed to find many that would argue that these shouldn't have come with, and could handle, larger tires in the first place.

Just my opinion ;) Hope it helps.
So how does one figure out which tires are heavy and which are light? Do you go by what ply they are?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
You can pretty much find info on all of the more popular tires. Here is a very good read on the Big Horns, Terra Cross, Pit Bulls, Dirt Commanders. he hits on tire/wheel size, Stiffness, Weight, Wear and ride... and a few other things as well. Pretty easy to find all the info you need on the more popular tires.

pit_bull_tires_pg9

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Probably one of the most well known, and popular tires out there, are the Maxxis Big Horns. You can get them in the regular Big Horn and the lighter Big Horn 2.0's. The regular Big Horn is heavier but will stand up little better in the puncture department. The 2.0 is VERY similar but lighter and you give up just a bit in the puncture department. Both are EXCELLENT tires!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I know a few people are running the 28's without a problem. Not sure on the 29's. Whatever size you choose. be sure to check to see how close they run to spec'd size. I'm running 26.5" Pitt Bulls and they run about 1/2" big. On the other side of that, there are some 27" tires that are actually closer to 25.

Glad to help

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
True on the Tire sizes, like ive heard the Orginal bighorns run 1" taller than actually stated size.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you get on Grizzly Central, they have a thread, easy to find, that list most all popular tires and their weights. If you search thru sites that sell atv tires, many list weights also. You can litrally spend days comparing heights/weight when you want max height+minimum weight ha!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts