Viking Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Got the Viking out this afternoon and ran it down the road to see how the 2 mods to the primary felt. Hated it and top speed fell from 52 to 45, and it didn’t feel like it accelerated any faster, maybe even slower it just reved out to fast. So I guess I will have to find time to take it apart again. I will put the stock weights back in and maybe just go with .5mm shim.
All a shim is going to do is give you more bottom end "grunt" at the expense of top end speed right? It'll lower your ratio right through the rev band, if I'm reading it right.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would just try less shim first with those weights. Get it down to .75mm and throw the cage on and take it for a rip to see how it goes. You might need a stiffer secondary spring.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
All a shim is going to do is give you more bottom end "grunt" at the expense of top end speed right? It'll lower your ratio right through the rev band, if I'm reading it right.
I agree

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I would just try less shim first with those weights. Get it down to .75mm and throw the cage on and take it for a rip to see how it goes. You might need a stiffer secondary spring.
So this was bugging me all night so I tore it apart again today, and I will say the second time it was much faster knowing what had to come off vs following the service manual and I got it apart and back together in one hour. I took your advice Getzy and left the 18gr weights in but I went back to no shim since I have stock tires. Took it out on the road again and much better, I like it. And top speed now is back where it was. So I will leave it as is.
I was surprised that so much top speed was lost with 1.5mm of shim, with that much shim in my Kodiak I only lost 2mph. And just a FYI, with 1.5mm of shim I had no belt rubbing on the case. So 1.5mm is safe as long as you don’t have a machined sheave.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Good to hear it worked out for you. I have 27” tires and would be fine I’m guessing with just the 16g weights but added the shim for pulling the trailers. Glad you found something that worked.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts