Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the weight of the stock roller weights in primary sheave? And what weights have you switched to or experimented with? Do you like lighter or heavier weights, and why?
Secondary Spring what do you like and why? Purple, Gold....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone know the weight of the primary clutch roller weights?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think the stock weights are 20g weights. Or close to that. I have the jbs sheave and had the 18g dr pull weights but they started to flat spot almost right away. I currently went to the hv weights from hunterworks 16g. Also I talked to tinken and switched my purple jbs spring out for a green tinken spring. I have 28” mega mayhems. They are heavy. Lighter weights for bigger, heavier tires in the short of it. I am now switching to 25x10x12 mud lite 2’s. I will keep my current set up and see how it works when I get my new tires on.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took my cvt apart today for it’s first service thinking it would be very dirty from all of the dust from August & Septembers very dry weather. I was surprised how clean it was, yah some dirt but nothing extreme. Cleaned out the old grease and greased with Amsoil water resistant wheel bearing grease. This is very popular with Grizzly owners. I also added 1.5mm shim and 18gr Yamaha weights these are the standard weights used in a Grizzly 700. The stock Viking weights weighed 21gr on my scale, so not a big change. I also found it interesting that there are 2 air intakes for the CVT, but it makes sense that it needs extra cooling for the weight of the Viking and it’s towing and hauling capability vs a quad that is half the weight. I can’t wait to try it out, but the rain probably won’t stop here until sometime Saturday.

·
Super Moderator
4,281 Posts
I also found it interesting that there are 2 air intakes for the CVT,
Are there two inlets? You're not mistaking the outlet for an inlet are you? The inlet is the bigger one behind the drivers seat which plumbs directly into the center of the "fan", the outlet is the smaller one further back and closer to the engine. Unless I'm missing something?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there two inlets? You're not mistaking the outlet for an inlet are you? The inlet is the bigger one behind the drivers seat which plumbs directly into the center of the "fan", the outlet is the smaller one further back and closer to the engine. Unless I'm missing something?
No your correct... my mistake calling them both air intake. My 2017 Kodiak only had a air intake no outlet.

Reactions: cactus

·
Registered
740 Posts
I think you are on the right track with the lighter weights. Interested in the results. What size tires are you running?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I do a lot of pulling. I pull my big ice house on the lake ice fishing, pulling a trailer around the farm, and pulling duck blinds to and from the marsh. I did go to the 14g weights and a power commander for a while. Give the best pulling combo and it really did. But rpms when cruising were just too high for my likings. I burnt my wet clutch up getting buried in some bad mud in a slough hunting. Replaced the clutch and housing tonight and decided to go back to the stock sheave with green spring and 16g hv weights with a .75 shim. I currently have 27x9x12 bear claw htr on all corners. The wet clutch is slugged and the previous one was slugged also. But I was stuck pretty bad. Loaded with decoys and gear I was past the frame in mud. Hit the rev limiter but tires weren’t moving. It was my fault, should have called for a pull right away.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you are on the right track with the lighter weights. Interested in the results. What size tires are you running?
I am still running the stock 25” Bighorn’s that came on it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Seems like 16g are the sweet spot. With 1.5mm of shim, you might want to double check that you have enough threads left on your primary.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm also not a fan of the shim. With only 25" tires, I'd just try the lighter weights

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems like 16g are the sweet spot. With 1.5mm of shim, you might want to double check that you have enough threads left on your primary.
I did check the threads before I tightened everything down and was fine. I used the 18gr weights because they were on my shelf after I took them out of my Kodiak before selling it and putting it back to stock with 30gr weights.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm also not a fan of the shim. With only 25" tires, I'd just try the lighter weights
Shims and lighter weights made the biggest difference with my Kodiak but it did have bigger tires on it (Zillas), I probably should have tried one at a time to see how each effects the performance, but I didn't because it's kind of a time consuming job to tear it down and with hunting season going into full swing now I may not have time to do it again for awhile so I added both.

Reactions: bd_skrillz

·
Registered
150 Posts
I’ve just been told that 1mm is about the max a guy should use. But then again I’ve never tried it myself, .75mm is the most I’ve gone. But I do have the 16g weights and green spring.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’ve just been told that 1mm is about the max a guy should use. But then again I’ve never tried it myself, .75mm is the most I’ve gone. But I do have the 16g weights and green spring.
Did they say why? With the 700 Kodiak’s and Grizzly 2mm is the max you can go without having the belt rubbing on the case. I would assume this 700 would be close to the same. They are the same motor slightly different cvt because of the weight of the Machine. I have heard of guy’s going beyond 2mm and getting more belt rubbing but not enough to wear through the case so they don’t mind and eventually it is fine wearing into place.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Never did ask I guess just been advised not to go over 1mm. But if your not rubbing, I wouldn’t worry about it.

·
Super Moderator
4,281 Posts
Yeah I think a lot rub over 1mm.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the Viking out this afternoon and ran it down the road to see how the 2 mods to the primary felt. Hated it and top speed fell from 52 to 45, and it didn’t feel like it accelerated any faster, maybe even slower it just reved out to fast. So I guess I will have to find time to take it apart again. I will put the stock weights back in and maybe just go with .5mm shim.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It did pull a load of firewood up to the house with ease
1603584345863.jpeg

Reactions: bd_skrillz

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Sux about the mods.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts