Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone considering a full plasti dip for their Viking? Saw a guy on the Honda forums plasti dipped his pioneer, check it out...

cheaper than a vinyl, you can change your color every year if you really want, and you can layer for a really durable finish....

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Thats pretty awesome i think.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea how durable that stuff is?
Im afraid it will be easy for it to get scratched and mess up the whole look.
you can layer it, do 6 or 7 coats and it will be pretty durable. The stuff won;t last forever but its cheap enough that minor scuffs and brush damage can be touched up with whatevers left in a the can.

As a bonus you can change colors every week if you're so inclined ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
interested

**** yeah, I would love to do it. I just dont want to be the first person who does it. I was looking at hydrographics dipping. I would love to have a flat black viking!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
**** yeah, I would love to do it. I just dont want to be the first person who does it. I was looking at hydrographics dipping. I would love to have a flat black viking!
what hydrographics dipping? Does it beat $20 a can for plasti dipping, can you do it in your own garage? :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
No. You have to take it to someone who has the equipment. The prices I was quoted was $750.

They take apart your plastics and buff them lightly so the graphics will adhere. There is a vat of water with your chosen graphic floating in the top, and then your plastics are dipped, which leaves the design on the plastics. The plastics are then sprayed with clear coat and reassembled.

There is a LARGE variety of patterns and graphics you can get. Ex.: Digital camo, tiger stripe, sports themes, mossy oak, max 4, solid colors, ANYTHING!

I had a camo rhino back in the day before Yamaha started clear coating them and my camo started peeling. So I will wait till I hear good things on here before I go out and do it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
you can layer it, do 6 or 7 coats and it will be pretty durable. The stuff won;t last forever but its cheap enough that minor scuffs and brush damage can be touched up with whatevers left in a the can.

As a bonus you can change colors every week if you're so inclined ;)
Interesting!

I'll have to look into it. It's true, the most coats, the more durable it is. Thankfully removing it is a breeze.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I find plasti dip isn't very good when it comes to abrasion

If you rub against it

It starts to get fuzzy and come off.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Sounds likes its great for something on display at SEMA or something, but not real world tuff, like the Yamaha..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wonder if anyone has tried this? Been kicking around the idea of doing it after seeing youtube videos of cars dipped. Might like to go with a flat black base with an accent color...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
jerhomey plastidipped his wheels before he came to ride at my place. its pretty darn rocky and beats the crap out of wheels and his plastidip held up great. i was really impressed. he didnt wven put the clearcoat on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Awesome! If the dealership ever finds the **** coolant leak, I'll be trying this!

·
Registered
870 Posts

It's still holding on strong , like Caspar said it was rock and I did get a couple spots but for 5 bucks a can it is hard to beat

·
Registered
870 Posts

Here is a close up of the only really place it came off and it was a good rock hit. It actually took a metal chunk out of the rim as well.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
you need to clean them up and put the glossifier on them. im curious to see how much stronger

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
it makes it....im sitting at work and a **** bee just flew at my face and i jumped up and hit send before i was done typing. lol

·
Registered
870 Posts
you need to clean them up and put the glossifier on them. im curious to see how much stronger

That's my plan , get them cleaned up and resprayed with the glossifier. I'm curious as well

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
try some of my homemade utv wash. it should get them nice and bright without even having to take a wash rag to them

although im not being held accountable if it eats the paint off

·
Registered
870 Posts
try some of my homemade utv wash. it should get them nice and bright without even having to take a wash rag to them

although im not being held accountable if it eats the paint off

Lol I think I am gonna try that and to be honest I'm curious if it will hold up to that as well. It's all just one big experiment ahahah

1 - 20 of 23 Posts