Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have started a new job and haven't had much time to ride or be on here unfortunately. Well last weekend we were using the viking for yard work at my parents house for mothers day while making a little pond for mom on mothers day. Well while moving rocks and such the parking brake has stopped working. The cable moves the arm on the caliper but the caliper isnt moving the pads to the rotor. Ugh! Not even on the trail when it happened!! Little discouraged I must say.

·
Registered
963 Posts
The same thing happened to mine, I called the dealer and they told me it was just an adjustment issue. I think it was a 10 mm. bolt under the dash on the brake cable near the steering shaft, quick adjustment and the problem was fixed. you can also refer to your owners manual section 8-35
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
963 Posts
Did that work?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't had a chance to look at it just yet. Hoping to be able to today.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
It appears to be on page 3-20. Here is a PDF of the procedure.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,429 Posts
From new, my parking brake lever goes a long way back before engaging, it goes all the way back to halfway between the second and last crossways slits in the rubber boot, which is too far IMO. I might adjust it up a bit before it wears a bit and stops working, thanks for the info.

Also twice now I've driven 100m or so with the park brake on before realising it, a bit more adjustment might let the brake go on a bit harder and stop this. I've seen photos of Rhinos here in Aus catching fire after chasing hogs in a rush then parking in knee high desert grass after the park brake was left on!

·
Registered
963 Posts
My owners manual dosnt have a 3-20, here is a pic of mine on 8-35

·
Registered
963 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,429 Posts
My owners manual dosnt have a 3-20, here is a pic of mine on 8-35

Different manual aron, GNXguy is talking about the service manual, which has different page numbers than the owners manual.

·
Super Moderator
4,429 Posts
I just adjusted mine up, the park lever now only goes back 2 clicks instead of 8, which feels much better. The funny thing is though, I had to wind about 3/4 of an inch of thread out from the adjuster which seemed a heck of a lot, and I couldn't imagine there'd be much thread left in there for next time. Anyone else experienced this?

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Beware do not tighten too much.
If the parking brake drags a little it will wear fast!
I have seen these drive shaft brakes on big equiptment(bucket trucks for Hydro workers) and if you drive a few blocks with them on and they are done!
We had to adjust our bucket truck's park brake regularly.
Tighten just enough to hold the unit.
I think if it is locking with only 2 clicks you may have it too tight. You want this type of brake to fully realese.

I wish they would put a "PARK BRAKE LIGHT ON" light on the dash.

·
Registered
344 Posts
There is a park brake light

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
That is correct, there is a park brake warning light.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I guess I need to find it???
I have not seen it on.
Is it on the cluster?

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
They should put a bright one just above the steering wheel,,,, Who looks at that cluster. I wish the cluster was in front of the driver! You have to take your eyes off the road to look at it. Not the best planning???

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
The cluster is in a stupid place, and i cant read it to begin with , its to darn dark. Whey couldn't put a nice bright White, easy to read display, i dunno...

Would have been much better to put it right behind the steering wheel, like a truck, car, etc..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts