Viking Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are weight limits and occupancy limits on your ATV for a reason. What is that reason? Safety of course. And if you need more proof that its a bad idea to transport more people and more weight than you're supposed to to, just take a look at this video. Let it be a warning to all of you. Also notice the helmets that fly off easily because they aren't wearing the straps.

Overloading an ATV for Uphill Rides Is a Very Dumb Idea [Video]

·
Registered
298 Posts
I personally saw a bad one while riding in Arkansas once. Man and a lady on a Honda Rincon start a hill climb that I had looked at and chickened out of. They ended up going over backwards and tumbling downhill with the ATV for a while. Her arm was obviously broke and had head injuries. His ankle was broke so that it was just flopping around. Called for help for them and gave our GPS coordinates and was able to get a medevac flight into a near clearing for them. We were pretty far from any help be ground.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

Wonder if 6 people in this thing would be considered overloaded.. lol

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Our government here in Australia is pushing real hard to make it mandatory to have roll bars on all ATVs. The funny thing is, when I ride motocross up hills I stand up and lean over the bikes handlebars, same as I do on an ATV up a steep hill, but lots just sit there.

That girl was so lucky that ATV went sideways and not on top of her.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That was just stupid. The driver should have been standing and leaning forward as you can see the front end being very light. However you still should not have 3 people on an ATV.

TM, I would never have my kids where they are not strapped to factory belts and would never put them at the highest center of gravity. Its the reason, I bought the Viking as my Rhino was a 2 seater and after amrket seats are very illegal in Most states and Provinces. They are not safe. My Wife drives My Grizzly 700 or myself and the other drives my Viking with the 2 kids..

·
Registered
854 Posts
Our government here in Australia is pushing real hard to make it mandatory to have roll bars on all ATVs. The funny thing is, when I ride motocross up hills I stand up and lean over the bikes handlebars, same as I do on an ATV up a steep hill, but lots just sit there.

That girl was so lucky that ATV went sideways and not on top of her.
fair enough, they have to enforce some sort of regulation to make sure people stay safer, but idiots will always find a way to get injured.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I usually surf on my ipad so haven't watched the video till now. For some reason links don't load when I click on the touch screen on the ipad. Anyhow, I have strong feelings about this topic. I take exception to the article stating most ATV's, ( quads?) are made for two up riding??? Really, is this true? I haven't bought a new quad or researched them in several years but I find that hard to believe. I thought they are all no passenger machines.

I also feel that those storage boxes for the back rack that conveniently have a seat in them should be outlawed. Adding any weight to he rear is trouble. All your heavy gear should go on the front as much as possible and like many have said, riders need to lean forward on the bars going up hills. This was the problem with trikes when they came out. So light in the front, that wheel would come up like nothing if you weren't leaning forward and I believe the majority of deaths were due to the handle bars coming over and across the neck and breaking it. Quads were better because of some of the added weight in the front. But please weight forward people.:)

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
I take exception to the article stating most ATV's, ( quads?) are made for two up riding??? Really, is this true? I haven't bought a new quad or researched them in several years but I find that hard to believe. I thought they are all no passenger machines.
I don't know about "most" but a lot of quads are definitely made to be two person machines. Can-am even have one with arm rests and back rest for the passenger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts