Viking Forum banner

Overheating

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  MNDirtRider 
#1 ·
I have a 2016 Viking and I ride for about an hour no problem then the light will blink go off and on a couple times then stay on changed thermostat flushed system bleed lines and still doing it the motor gets hot but the radiator I can touch warm but not hot

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum.
Is your fan coming on and up to normal speed? Early Vikings had fans that would go bad and need replacing. Yamaha fixed the fan problem with a updated fan in 2019. MelloFab makes a great temp gauge kit that also helps the Viking run about 20 degrees cooler.

Reactions: Frosty
#3 ·
Here is a picture of mine.
Speedometer Trip computer Vehicle Gauge Steering wheel

#4 ·
This thread will help you.

#6 ·
Also make sure the radiator isn’t plugged with dirt or mud.

#8 ·
Well there is a lot of threads here about this issue thats why I thought it best to invest in the mellofab kit for piece of mind. Could be fan solenoid not turning fan on soon enough or intermittently. Look through the one I posted above, good information there and do a search for others there is plenty.

#9 ·
The Viking is bad for airlocks in the coolant, you need the front end up high for a successful coolant change, other than that it sounds like your head gasket could be blown, check for bubbling in the radiator.

Reactions: Sport4x4
#14 ·
Now that I have a temp gauge to see how hot my system is, I find that I can ride around pretty casually (no big hills and no high speeds) and my coolant temp stays relatively low not requiring the fan to kick on. I had no way of knowing until the light blinked before. What's interesting to me about your issue is that it's happening after an hour or so. I believe my issue came up due to an intermittent fan issue. When mine got hot the first time, the fan wasn't running. On subsequent times, the fan would kick on but the thermostat was bent. You may have another bent thermostat and/or some air in the system. I would recommend you replace the thermostat again, bleed the system, clean the radiator, then clean it again (when you think they're clean, it seems they're never clean), also make sure to have the reservoir at the FULL COLD line. Then drive it around a while and park it with the front end up on a pretty steep incline and let it get cold. This will help burp the system and draw coolant from the reservoir under the right front fender. Even after you've bled the system, many times it will still have some air and it will draw coolant from the reservoir. Hopefully it hasn't gotten hot enough or hot too many times and taken out your head gasket. I didn't trust my fan so I put in a new one. Interestingly, my old fan spins very freely so I can only assume the brushes in the fan motor were hanging up at random times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.