Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What you all running for oils and filter?

I think I have decided on:

Yamaha filter 5gh-13440-50(just ordered a case). I was thinking possibly K&N KN-204 but there is a lot of conflicting information out there on valves in the different filters being different so I decided to just go OEM.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 for the engine. It meets the specs yet it's synthetic which is better in our cold climate. It's also optimized for wet-clutch performance as it's a specialty motorcycle lube.

Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-90 for the front diff and final drive. It exceeds the recomeneded GL-4 as it's a GL-5 and is synthetic which once again is better for our cold climate.

Couple of links to what I am planning on using. I am at 19 hours and 199 miles so it's time.

Mobil 1 4T

Mobil 1 Gear Lube

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
In all my Yamaha's ive always used the Yamalube stuff, its good stuff.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K&N filters
Spectro Oils full synthetic

You use the KN-204 or the KN-303?

No Spectro dealer in Alaska so that's out but it sounds like good stuff.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In all my Yamaha's ive always used the Yamalube stuff, its good stuff.

OEM filter, and Yamalube 10-40

I use Yamalube in my Yamaha outboard but this Viking will be used during the long cold winter so I want full synthetic. The Yamalube synthetic is close to double the price of the Mobil 1 and doesn't come in 10-40 only some strange numbers like 15-30 and 20-50 or something like that. If I was running summer dino oil it would be Yamalube.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You use the KN-204 or the KN-303?

No Spectro dealer in Alaska so that's out but it sounds like good stuff.
I use the 204. There is room to use the 303 if you wanted to but I don't see ant reason to.

I have used Spectro Oils for years in my race bikes and has not failed me yet and I am not nice to those engines

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I run the Mobil 1 in our 17500k Genterator, and in our car, it works great too. I run 20-50 Royal Purple in my Can-am Outlander, and its worked good too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm not sure which oil to use. In my 4wheeler the past 7 yrs I've run amsoil 0-40 oil. I use my in winter and when its below zero it starts much easier. I read my manual and it didn't show any 0-40 oil. This is my first yamaha and want to make sure this will work ok. I change it once a yr. I'm not putting huge miles on maybe 400 a yr but plow a lot in winter.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just did 1st oil change/filter..20,9hrs. Super easy, I used Amsoil 0W40 and oem filter. Went for a rip around the property, I find it much smoother and more responsive. I have ran Amsoil in my rincon and grizz since there 1st change and too notice improvements in both. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bringing this one back.

We're at 23 hours and about 220 miles.

I just bought filters and oil.

Plan on changing them out tomorrow then I'll have enough for the next change.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I've been running Castrol 4T 10-40 (dino)in dam near everything for years.. my Rancher (8800 miles) the Brute Force, my John Deere mower (Kawi v-twin), and the other motorcycles..
I've been running Mobil 1 4T in the Busa just because it gets so much abuse.. Haven't made up my mind on what I'll run in the Viking. The Castrol is easy cause I've always got a case laying around..

Decisions, decisions......

One thing I'll continue to do however is use OE filters.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'm not that close to my dealer so I've been using the NAPA gold oil filter, I use them on all my other vehicles and I think they're a great filter. I buy about 8 gallon of Honda GN4 at a time so that's what I'm using engine wise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did my first service today - Yahama OEM filter, Mobil 1 Syn 10W-40 Racing 4T, both diffs changed with Mobil 1 LS Syn 75-90 gear oil (buy a pump that screws on top of the bottle). Rear diff oil was dark and very low, engine oil was full but dark, front diff oil was low and clear. Trans seems more quiet now with less high pitch whine. Green antifreeze was a little low. Now to find all the grease fittings.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Is there any reason I shouldn't use this stuff? I was told once not to use full synthetic but from what I've come to understand, this is rated for wet clutch use. Right?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
Is there any reason I shouldn't use this stuff? I was told once not to use full synthetic but from what I've come to understand, this is rated for wet clutch use. Right?
Looks fine to me. There's no problems running full synthetic in these engines.

·
Registered
172 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts