Viking Forum banner

Oil cooler ?

9K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  madviking 
#1 ·
I have a oil cooler I wanna put on the viking but don't know the thread pitch and stuff for the oil filter adapter. Is it same as a rhino or what, I would like to get this done

#3 ·
Yes I am gonna add another one tho I do believe unless most people are fine with how theirs runs, I am just coming from a brute force where it was a must have so now I think I need one on anything lol

#5 ·
I have 2 Brute Force 750's and NEVER had an oil temp problem.

Joe

Yes I am gonna add another one tho I do
believe unless most people are fine with how theirs runs, I am just coming from a brute force where it was a must have so now I think I need one on anything lol

#4 ·
Do it. The stock cooler is adequate for putting around. It is actually very beneficial for bringing the oil up to proper operating temperature, and since we are talking about it, keeping the oil to air unit you are about to add from over cooling the oil. Running at speed, towing/hauling, hilly terrain, and hot weather all are great reasons to run an oil to air unit. I also have one in the works... might offer a kit, even.

#6 · (Edited)
Obviously you don't ride like I do....mine stays in the mud and everyone knows a brute runs hot and the radiator is way to small for that vtwin motor hence why a lot of brutes have relocated radiators

#7 ·
Guess I should get rid of the Vamp's on the 4 corners and ditch the snorkel setup. :D

#8 ·
Guess you should considering this is mine

#9 ·
Wish I had the time to keep mine that clean. I do however ALWAYS power wash out the radiator after each time out.

#10 ·
Another good point here, is that the Viking is built to meet the new 2014 emissions standards. It runs hotter to achieve this, which has already reared its ugly head with the exhaust and diff temperatures. The older lower power Rhino has an external oil to air cooler... far superior under load than the liquid unit, but I bet it could over cool under some conditions.

#11 ·
So are we thinking we might need to leave it be and not add a oil cooler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
What is your baseline oil temp?

What is the oil temp under max load?

Joe

#14 ·
Gotcha so where is the best place to mount this oil cooler y'all think and does anyone know a filter adapter that will work on Viking

#16 ·
Cuz I wash and shine all my bikes after every ride lol

#18 ·
Never on street tires.

I've noticed on my vamps that tire shine helps keep the mud from sticking at least for a few minutes. :)

#19 ·
Thats a good lockin atv right there, i need tp put some bigger tires on my Outlander, just dont have the cash for it right now, spending it all on the Viking, haha.

#20 ·
I plan to get oil temperature information pre and post cooler install... will share when that happens

I'm looking at various thermostatic adapters right now. The best mounting spots are obviously in someplace with plenty of airflow. Plans are to have a good look around the machine and try to find a nice little nook... the closer to the engine the better. All the way up front with the radiator will work, but it's an awful long run... if done that way, it could mount in front of the radiator and share the fan. I'd rather have it off to the side, though, which will require the unit to have it's own fan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.