Viking Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of y'all have expressed concerns about squeaky OEM brake pads. My experience is that switching to a full metallic (sintered) pad on my motorcycles goes a long way to reducing brake squeal that can plague semi-metallic and organic pads.

On top of that, HH pads have a higher peak friction rating and less brake fade.

Moose Racing has now released their XCR pads for the Viking, and they are available on our website (we sell them in full front sets, 2 cards of 2 pads each) for $75.90.
Moose Racing XCR Sintered Brake Pads for Yamaha Viking (Pair)

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I removed my rear pads today and cleaned them up and put silicone on the slider pins and and the slider pads. They werr caked full of mud. Not sure if it will do anything. Might just need to wear the pads down a bit so they have some room when they hang up. I will do the front tomorrow and test it to see if it helps. I was told that on cars and trucks the cheap less metalic pads squeaked less than the full metalic ones. I rarely use the brakes on this this cuz the engine braking stops you so much.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I removed my rear pads today and cleaned them up and put silicone on the slider pins and and the slider pads. They werr caked full of mud. Not sure if it will do anything. Might just need to wear the pads down a bit so they have some room when they hang up. I will do the front tomorrow and test it to see if it helps. I was told that on cars and trucks the cheap less metalic pads squeaked less than the full metalic ones. I rarely use the brakes on this this cuz the engine braking stops you so much.
Remember that ALL PADS will squeal in the wet. You will get some brake noise from any metallic pads, but if you use some sort of non-squeal coating on the back of the pads whenever changing your pads it virtually eliminates any metal-to-metal vibration that can cause squeal with metallic pads. I've had Kevlar (organic) pads squeal even at lower speeds. But then again, my experience with pads is coming from street/track motorcycles.

I'll be mounting these Moose XCR pads on my Viking shortly and will post up my results, and include a sound clip if they squeal.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
My brakes Squeak wet or dry just Rollin down the road, annoying as can be

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine squeak just going down the road as well wet or dry. This is my first SxS so I'm not sure if all of them have this problem or its a Yamaha thing. Looking forward to your review of these pads.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Mine squeak just going down the road as well wet or dry. This is my first SxS so I'm not sure if all of them have this problem or its a Yamaha thing. Looking forward to your review of these pads.
I think its a yamaha thing, cause it was the same way on my rhino

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
mine squeek bad too.is annoying as **** but more embarrassing than anything to hav a brand new machine do that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well what a pleasure it was to ride a quiet Viking. I pulled all my brake pads
And cleaned the sliders and took a wire wheel and cleaned up the pins. Then I put a product called momotorkote on the pins and sliders. This is a oil that soaks into the metal and is a friction reducer. Then I put on brake silicone on the sliders and pins. I put everything back together and took it for a ride and at last not a peep from the brakes. I agree CasparisViking the squeaky brakes are a joke and embarrassing on a new SxS. Now I realize the real test will be if they hold up once ridden on trail and thru the mud. I have my doubts but if it works its worth the effort. If it doesn't hold up I will be putting preasure on my dealer and yamaha to fix this issue. I think its unexceptable to have this issue on a $12, 000 unit.

·
Super Moderator
4,182 Posts
So it sounds like the squeaking isn't coming from the pads running on the disk then?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes. I couldn't get pins to pull out at first once they were fully unscrewed. The brake calipers and pads and pins are quality and have a very nice fit almost to tight. Once I cleaned everything up and wire wheeled the pins they moved freely. Mud might tighten things up again. We shall see.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
mxzgirl keep me posted on how well it works and how long it holds up. if it works ill take mine off and do the same thing. i almost have 200 miles on my buggy so when i take it to get serviced my dealer is going to get an earful about them

·
Registered
326 Posts
Any update on this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts