Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well usually round these parts we are blow and go on the weekends however all that changed this time. When I came in from the rig Thursday night I found my wife bad off sick. So after a rush to the emergency room and a night in the hospital, she was on bed rest for the weekend. Not wanting to leave her alone decided it was time to start working on the viking. Put in a stereo system kenwood Bluetooth deck, 4 6x9 (yeah I know its overkill but hey I like music) and a kenwood 400w marine amp. Sealed the box with silicone then coated it with bed liner. We'll looks like I have some extra so shoot why not, went ahead and did the bed also. Now my buddy the UPS man shows up with my viper max 5000. Yup went ahead and threw that in also. Wrapped everything up yesterday afternoon and momma wanted to go for a ride. I'm not one to ever tell her no so we loaded up and tested everything out. Just seeing her smile was worth it all to me. Oh and if any of your friends tell you to try the new colors light summer flavor because it's good. Instantly take his man card, smack him around and never speak to him again till he admits he needs help.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
ive been thinking about doing the same thing with mine but torn between that and the ease of the new ssv works 4 speaker setup and the ability to add the subwoofer. although the savings from building my own would buy me alot of bud light

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I liked doing my own not only cost wise but can set it up just how I want it. This think freakin kicks out the tunes

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
glad to hear it rocks. post up some pics

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Post up a few pics... Curious as to how it looks... Is it different from the setup I have??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
what are the dimensions of both boxes. especially the depth.. im short but i worry if i make my own box when taller people get in my buggy they would smack theyr head off the box.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
tmcelheny do you have an amp hooked up. if so where did you put it.
rockin, where did you put your amp and stereo
either of you guys plan on putting in a sub.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I dont have an amp...dont need it , its a 200w output stereo and sounds great....no plans for a sub...im on vacation so i cant measure right now but i used 1/2" plywood top and bottom and 2x4 material for the framing between so.... About 4 1/2" thick

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
ok. thank you

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wood was the same as his however I didn't make the cut out for the deck like he did. So I have the deck sitting further back and the amp I put in there is designed for smaller spaces and marine grade. I'm 6' and have plenty of head room, my wife is 5'8" and even hitting jumps and bumps she hasn't hit it as a passenger either

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
My wood was the same as his however I didn't make the cut out for the deck like he did. So I have the deck sitting further back and the amp I put in there is designed for smaller spaces and marine grade. I'm 6' and have plenty of head room, my wife is 5'8" and even hitting jumps and bumps she hasn't hit it as a passenger either
thanks rockin. the makes me feel better about building my own. guess ill give it a shot one of these days. hopefully mine will look and sound good too

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Thanks vikingryder,,, yea the reason i recessed the deck/faceplate back like that is to be able to see the screen better... But in all honety i should have set it even further forward...its a lil hard to see but once i get a station.. I rarely change it..

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
tmclheny. mite have to steal your idea. hope you dont mind. thats a very nice looking setup and i just saw walmart had a stereo and 4 pyle(i believe) speakers all for 99 bucks. and if i do it like yours i dont have to pay 100 bucks for the dash kit. idk how well it will sound but for the price its worth a try

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
did you put in a toggle switch or straight wired to battery?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I dont mind at all...i love seein custom work! I bout my pyle marine with 4- 6.5" speakers on ebay shipped for like 83$...i wired direct to the battery.. But i put a 15 amp in line fuse on the hot..Casparis,,,,,if you want to wait till like sat nite when im back from vacation, i can give you exact dimensions of the box

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
yea sure. im not in any hurry. enjoy your vacation!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Stereo box plans

Any questions...let me know

Reactions: Badger

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
cool. thanks so much tmcelheny. might get started on that tomorow

1 - 20 of 22 Posts