Viking Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at picking up this Viking vi, but the motors knocking/shaking. Almost sounds like a diesel. Any idea what’s causing it?

·
Super Moderator
4,239 Posts
That's nasty!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Might want to keep looking for a better one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you feel the price is right and low enough too more than cover the costs of a rebuild then I say do it, because it has low hours and miles.

Reactions: bd_skrillz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you feel the price is right and low enough too more than cover the costs of a rebuild then I say do it, because it has low hours and miles.
They want $6k for it, so I figured worst case would be a rebuilt motor (already done) for $2,500, $8,500 still seems like a good deal for a VI model. Thoughts?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds worth it to me

·
Super Moderator
4,239 Posts
Sounds like a con rod so if it is and nothing else is wrong it's a cheap easy fix. 72 hrs seems a bit light on for five years and for those problems though, so there could well be more damage, if it's say run out of oil for example.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Ok, if you do get it and need to replace the soft top let me know. I bought one a few months ago but replaced it with an aluminum one. So I don't need the soft one anymore

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I like to get stuff that somebody has screwed up and rebuild for a great deal. I would take it for that price and like you say $2500 for another motor you still have a pretty good deal.

·
Super Moderator
4,239 Posts
I like to get stuff that somebody has screwed up and rebuild for a great deal. I would take it for that price and like you say $2500 for another motor you still have a pretty good deal.
Yeah true, what do you think he needs,
Piston
Rings
Sleeve
Big end little end bearings
Main bearings
Full gasket kit

Head should be ok at only 72 hours unless cracked from possible over heating, may need an oil pump if it ran dry. Possibly wet clutch.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I wouldn't want to make a guess, I'm usually wrong and have way more torn up parts than one would expect. I always figure the worst and aim high as far as cost goes, that way when the motor turns out to only need some minor parts you feel like you got a deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts