Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few stock pictures with the 25's compared to the new ones.

I bought the wheels and tires when Discount Tire Direct had their $100 off $400 special a couple weeks ago. With using the coupon twice, I had $374 in all four tires and under $300 in the wheels with free shipping. If I had to pay full retail price, I would have probably bought 29x11 Bighorns for it. Bighorns weren't available with the special they were running.

Swamp Lites may not be the best tire ever, but for the price they offer a lot of bang for the buck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Looks Sweet

Reactions: sandbagger

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice....my first look at the garage pic made me think you had a camo Viking with all the mud! What is the increase in ground clearence with the new tires?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice I have the 28 swamp lites on mine and they work great for moose hunting and I live in Alaska so we have a variety of mud from clay to glacier silt and it works great they do rub a little in turns on the screw bottom sticking out right behind the frt tire but all else is great I got the muddier clutch kit in mine lost some top end but the lower end is great.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Good looking tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments. I was out of town wheeling it in Wellsville, Ohio. Lots of rocky tight trails. It did very well. I have not measured ground clearance stock vs. new tires.

It certainly feels like it is working harder when crawling over rocks up steep hills. It always had enough power to do what needed to be done, but on one long climb in particular I thought "You probably ought to get a clutch kit."

I've never modded a clutch/cvt on any previous rigs. My main area that I'd like more power is off idle. IE: 0-10 mph power for crawling over obstacles. I plan to make a post asking for advice on another thread.

When I get them downloaded, I'll post some more pics of the Viking on trails this weekend. I started with around 15 psi in the tires...really stiff. Halfway through the day I aired down to 10 psi. Much better!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Awesome

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you think the 29.5-10-12 would rub if you have a 2" lift?

You should be fine with a lift. Possibly be OK without a lift if you don't mind a little rubbing.

Mine rub a little bit if flexed (compressed actually) with the wheels turned sharply in the front. It seems to happen only on the driver side. I need to install a larger washer on the bolt that holds the plastic wheel well trim to the skid plate. Mine pulled through. I may do that this afternoon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome setup, they look great to me.
How are you liking them so far?
Thanks. I don't claim that they are the best tire ever made, but I'm happy with the combination of looks and performance. I've kept them at 10 psi and may experiment with a bit lower pressure.

I forgot to post pictures of when I had it to Wellsville. I'll go find a few and post them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

This pic is blurry due to all of the dust covering my camera lens:

This was the way out. Pics don't do it justice.

I joked that my buddy was checking the oil in his tow rig:

This was only one trail that we took pictures on. Most of the stuff was technical where if you weren't paying attention, bad things could happen. IE: Not able to get a lot of pictures on the tight nasty trails.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Great pics..swamp lites are a great bang for the buck imo

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

I like the before/after comparison shots. Really gives some perspective for those considering that setup.

I know what you mean about paying attention. After you get off a ball buster, you wish you had more pics.

Great looking Viking.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Hahaha I like the one with the guy lookin under the good of that burnt out truck like " I think I can get er runnin" lol

Reactions: cactus and 78Buford

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Looks awesome! What wheels and offset are those? is that 28/11/14 all four corners?

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm not on the site too much. I bought the wheels through Discount Tire Direct. They are 14x7's. The offset is 4+3. I wanted that extra inch of width vs. 5+2's. The tires are 28x11's at all four corners.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-14X7-..._Car_Truck_Wheels&vxp=mtr&hash=item4872c36500

To be honest, I like the tires quite a bit, but I'm not real impressed with the wheels themselves. Already lost two center caps, so I took off the other two, and the black paint/coating has been scratched off the wheels in places due to rocks. That may be common, but I thought I'd mention it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts