Viking Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't own a viking yet, or any SxS for that matter and never have! I am buying one though very soon and I'm hoping that by reading all of the first hand experience I'll be able to make a more informed purchase. I've read all of the Viking vs Teryx threads but still up in the air on which I'll be buying.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Welcome aboard! What are you planning on using your SxS for, and how many people do you need to haul?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say 90% trail riding and hobby type fun (long range shooting) painting targets setting them up and tearing the down, 10% work. It's hard to put my finger on how many people I'd need to haul around, sometimes 2 of us other times 4. I dig the 3 passenger ability of the viking while maintaining a full size bed which is one of the big reasons I haven't pulled the trigger on the teryx and why a 4 seater isn't going to work for me as I need the bed space for my hobbies and hauling my dog around in his kennel. I have a very little bit of experience with the 700 Rhino and liked it fine, mostly find myself in low range tooling around but love the grunt of the teryx's twin which could be fun in the right situation. I doubt I'll ever really mod either one other than lights and stuff like that, no lifts or real high output engine mods. I just don't know, I've been on the fence now for honestly 4 or so months and just can't make up my mind. I do like the $1000 rebate that kawi is offering right now on the teryx 2, but still not sure it's the right machine for me, really like what seems like excellent reliability for the viking and knowing I'll be doing a lot of low speed stuff seems like the kawi likes burning up belts and getting hot.

Just hoping by reading more and learning more the answer will JUMP out at me!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think that the Viking is a bit more geared towards doing work instead of trail riding, not that it is not capable. Sounds like you might like something closer to an ATV.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The roomy cab, full-size bed, and reliability were what sold us on the Viking. The Teryx would likely be a bit quicker, but on trail rides or for utility work that's not really important. It would only make a difference if you want to hit the sand dunes. We use ours every weekend for trail rides, and have been very impressed with the comfort and capability. It climbs like a mountain goat, and has gone through some very rough terrain with ease. We have not needed any additional power, even when climbing steep hills at 11,000 ft. We put our x-large dog crate in the back, and still have tons of room for other gear.

If you think you'll need room for 4 people at some point, however, the Viking may be a bit limited. You might look at the Can Am Commander Max. It can haul 4 people, plus still has a 600lb bed capacity (although the bed has smaller dimensions). It also comes with a stout 85hp v-twin, which will allow it to keep up with a lot of sport machines. It will likely cost you an additional $4k, so the extra capability doesn't come cheap. You'll have to decide if it's worth the extra scratch to you.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Welcome, we love our Viking for both work around the yard, and trail riding. We've always had Yamahas over the years, never let us down once. Tried one Polaris, and that'll be the last, STAY AWAY.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
the only "work" my viking will hopefully ever see is hauling treestands into the woods and hauling deer out. i specifically got mine for trail riding and hunting. and so far does great trail riding.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I use mine for hunting, trail riding and its main purpose is homestead work. Hauling firewood, dragging my log arch skidder, and general land use chores. I was like you, on the fence for about six months. The forum members posts were instramental in my decision. I have owned two polaris sportsman 500's. They worked well and I have never had a problem in 10 years of use. I still own one of the a 2007 Sportsman 500. But now seating room and general SXS conveinence and pulling ability are more important. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everyone, thank you very much, I really appreciate your opinions and advice.

In some ways I feel like no matter which one I pick, it will at times be the wrong choice. Guess a guy can't have it both ways, I'm seriously leaning toward the Viking if for no other reason than if you go to the Teryx forums 80% of the threads seem to be people having problems of one kind or another. Its belts and heat, vent mods, gas tank filter mods, sticks going through the floor boards and checking recalls, while here it's lights, radios, bigger tires.

Does anyone here feel like the 700 is just not enough motor for the Viking? It kind of surprises me that i never read about that, especially with the guys running bigger tires.

I went as far a month or so ago to get an actual OTD price on a Teryx and it seemed very good. When I did the same thing for the Viking the sales man must be a comedian at night cause his price was like 16k for a blue EPS viking OTD (5k more than a Teryx). After reading some of the threads here I realized the prices are pretty close really and that guy was way off.

I plan on buying a trailer Friday and by the end of the weekend owning a new SxS, I'm sick of thinking about it any longer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought my 2014 SE today :) Dropped the tires off and hopefully i will be grabbing it tomorrow. One of the reason I chose Yamaha is for the reliability. I have a 2000 Grizzly 600, 2007 Grizzly 660, and the only problems I ever have had is clean the carb once in awhile. Few my friends have Polaris and they are always fixing them.

As for your 16k OTD you need to go to a diff dealer or work him/her better. I found the 2014 EPS SE for $12,474 so with tax and licensing we were just under 15k and that is for the special edition black and 2 sets of tire swaps :) Of course I had to search around the states dealers and put in my work but saved myself $600. I was lucky though because my local dealer who I was working with pulled off a dealer trade to get it for me. My dealer called Yamaha and they said there was only 4 new SE's left in the state for sale. Here is what I used as proof for the price. My dealer called him up and they swapped inventory that was needed. The other store was 90 miles away from me and I didn't even have to pay shipping cause my dealer had something he needed so shipped it for free :)

2014 YAMAHA VIKING FI 4x4 EPS SE- NO FEES - LIMITED AVAILABILITY - MUST GO!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Motor is plenty. 50mph on 28's. Your doing around 15mph area up and down low is freaking awesome! I ran creeks and deep water. Stock tires did suck balls. But easy fix. For 555 I got all four and was well worth it. Build quality is superior to my expectations.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Trailer needs be big. Smallest is 6x10 tilt style loaded backwards. I know lol.

I paid 12,200 before tax etc. Eps, camo, top.

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Runamuk for shooting etc you'll love the roomy cab and easy in and out of the Viking (you can take the doors off), the three seats and walk through floor really are brilliant, as is the full size bed. Mine is used for work every day and for trails after work and on weekends. We can fit four in the front (one 4 yo) and two more kids in the back, so plenty of room.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
in my opinion the 700 is plenty. just this past weekend i hauled me, my wife and a full 30/gal. water drum up a steep road to our cabin with no problem going 25mph. on trails i dont go more than 15 mph so its good there too. as far as price goes i paid 16,500 otd but i got the camo eps, hard top, windshield, winch, brush guard, center console, bedmat, different wheels and tires and the extended 4yr warranty.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Like everyone else, I've found the 700 to be plenty adequate. Everyone who's driven our Vike has been surprised at the torque, especially when climbing. I've only drag-raced one machine (a RZR 800), and was surprised at how close I was able to stay with him - he could out-run me but not by as much as I expected.

On trails we load it up pretty good. Between my fat ass, my wife, dog, and gear, we're easily hauling 700 lbs, and we've never had a problem climbing even the steepest hills. There is a noticeable power loss at high altitudes, but any naturally-aspirated engine will suffer this, and it's never enough to cause the engine to bog down on hills.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Make sure you check atvtraderonline.com. I got my green eps for 11,300 out the door from track n trail in PA. There are a lot of PA dealers with super low prices that can save thousands.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts