Viking Forum banner

Never turn your back on your chainsaw...

4K views 53 replies 9 participants last post by  Sport4x4 
#1 ·
Ran three tanks of gas through a brand new saw. My buddy came over to split some wood for me while I ran my Bobcat at my nextdoor neighbor's place. Grabbed my saw today cut up a tree and here's what my chain looked like... WTF!!! Could have shaved with it on Saturday morning.

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread Motor vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
🤔 mmm someone try cutting up Mother Earth?

Reactions: MNDirtRider
#3 ·
Whatever he did worked, you won't be asking him to come cut wood for you ever again 🤣 🤣 🤣

#4 ·
He's hit a nail or some metal by the look!

#5 ·
Certainly could have. Sometimes you run into weird stuff that grew into that trunk. Who knows...

I put a new chain on yesterday. $35 later and it's like a hot knife through butter again. I tried to file the old one enough to make it useable but there's a so much variation in what's left of the teeth. I may have the saw shop sharpen it sometime. They charge $12 a chain so it might be worth it for a few cuts on a dirty log that would ruin a nice chain.

Reactions: Sport4x4
#6 ·
This is what the shops use to sharpen the chains… I cut a lot of firewood so it was well worth the investment and I can sharpen a chain is a fraction of the time it takes with a file and get it much sharper.
Saw Miter saw Concrete saw Mitre saws Tool

#7 ·
@Sport4x4 - I wish you were in the neighborhood. I'd drop off some chains. :D

I don't cut near enough wood to invest in a sharpener that nice. What's your big Stihl in the background? I can't see the number. EDIT: I see now that it's a 261. Terrific saw! In fact, that's the one with the buggered up chain in the first picture. I also recently added a 400 CM. I've been in need of an upgrade for a while. So far, I'm really liking the m-tronic system.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

#8 ·
I was thinking of selling this old girl but I'm not sure I can part with her. I only paid $175 including a new bar and chain when I bought it 3 years ago. She still runs awesome and cuts great but the air filtration on the new saws is SO MUCH BETTER! It was worth the upgrade for that alone. On this old one, it seems I need to clean the filter after every tank of gas. I think she's good to keep around in case I get in a pinch or one of the m-tronics has a temper tantrum. Sounds like they have the bugs worked out now though.

I also had an older MS180 that I sold last weekend. I just never used it.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Chainsaw Saw Saw chain Hand tool Tool

#38 ·
She still runs awesome and cuts great but the air filtration on the new saws is SO MUCH BETTER! It was worth the upgrade for that alone. On this old one, it seems I need to clean the filter after every tank of gas.
I've been Stihl all my life but changed to Husky a few years back because of this exact reason, that and the Stihls constantly dumping bar oil. I've never needed to change the air filter on my 74cc Husky, and it oils the chain beautifully and never leaks bar oil. All my Stihls would not oil properly and would dump the tank on the pavement or truck bed every time they were put down.

#9 ·
The M-tronic system is awesome and has been flawless for me so far and I work that 261c pretty hard since I bought it 7-8 years ago. Have you seen Stihl’s new saw with fuel injection? The MS 500i

#11 ·
That's great to hear! I've worked the old 026 pretty hard too and that's why I bought the 400 a few weeks ago. So far, I'm pretty happy with it. It doesn't seem to oil that much for a 25" bar and that's my only complaint. I also upgraded to a Stihl Light Bar after 5-6 tanks of fuel. It just feels more balanced now. It has really nice power for the weight and it's a lot of fun to cut with. I have some big ash trees that are likely to die from the emerald ash borer in the next few years and I wanted enough saw to cut the stumps without working it to death. I watched lots of videos and asked a ton of questions before I decided between 462 and 400. The $350 I saved by buying the 400 (instead of 462) is how I justified treating myself to the 261and man what a treat it is to run! I'm just thrilled with the 261 with an 18" bar.

That 500i is the real deal! I mean, that thing is a damn Hot Rod! My brother-in-law has a 661 so I recruit him for anything that outside my skill set.

Reactions: Sport4x4
#12 ·
I have a good friend that owns a logging company and when I asked him what his favorite chainsaw was after decades of running his business and working with other loggers before that he said the MS 261 without a doubt. But now he is saying the 261 is second to the new MS 500i. But then again huge difference in sizes.
I have two 20” bars for my 261 one light and the standard ematic that came on it (which is about wore out) and a 16” bar for smaller jobs.
The little MS 193 in the picture is a great saw too, so light you can run it with one hand. It has 14” bar and decent power for a small saw.
I have considered many times getting a bigger saw, but my old back keeps telling me I don’t need to be cutting with that much weight anymore. Lol.

#36 ·
I’m with you brother ! Had an 034 super av graciously removed from my establishment as well as some other things . Pretty bummed , got some insurance money and wound up with the 261c-m , what an awesome saw ! It’s a beast ! I’ve had my eye on a MS 500i , which I know weight to power wise is along the same lines as the 261 , but $1500 and 3 extra pounds ! Just not sure ! 😂 Have to cut a lot of wood to justify it , and I’m not getting any younger either !

#13 ·
This is how I transport all of my logging tools to the woods in the Viking…
Wood Motor vehicle Tool Gas Engineering

Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Hood

#19 ·
Does buying a gas powered stihl hedge trimmer get me in the club?

• Haha
#20 ·
😆 sure 👍

#21 ·
Kidding aside, I’ve owned a Stihl MS 291 for years. I run 20” chains. Had $600 invested in it with extra chains and oil when I bought it years ago. Worth every penny.

Also have a BR 350 Backpack blower. Worth every penny. Essential piece of equipment.

2 days ago, I dropped $419 on HS56 Hedge Trimmers. Fill in the blank. Worth every ___ .

#24 ·
Ruble. Yen. Bolivar.

• Haha
#25 ·
@Skrillz - you can own anything Stihl you want brother. I have Stihl because that's what I bought used 10 years ago and they treated me very well. I have a very good dealer close by so that's why I stay with them. I've spent a lot on this stuff over the past few years but I don't regret it for a second. It all saves me time and has been very reliable.

My Stihls:

011 AVT that has to be 40+ years old and was put through the wringer before I bought it. Starts 1-2 pulls
026 that's burned up. Overheated on a huge oak when I had to get my driveway open in a pinch. Owned 10+ years.
026 red lever - owned 3 years and is a real workhorse. Has never let me down.
261 CM - just bought it. LOVE that saw!
400 CM - just bought it. Great saw, just wish it oiled a little more for 25" bar.
HT131 Pole saw - couldn't live without it. Has saved me thousands in tree service bullshiz
FS131 Brush Cutter - super great weed whacker/brush cutter. Worth the investment
BR800 Blower - I mean, if you're going to get blown... bigger is better!

Oh, and I have an Echo PAS 265 that I bought at a pawn shop 10 years ago with multiple attachments. Good running piece too.

Reactions: bd_skrillz
#26 ·
Exactly MN. I can pay a few hundred for Stihl instead of thousands (on-repeat) to have someone do the work for me. Those Stihl pole saws are solid. You live and learn. Husqavarna seems to do well for me too.

Why are quality landscaping products orange. Who started that trend? Stihl?

In 2020 got a 37 hp scag cheetah with 61” deck. It eats everything in it’s path and leaves behind a golf course. It’s orange.

#27 ·
I always thought they were orange so when you set them down in the forest and walked away they would be easy to find when you came back looking for them.
I paint my other wood cutting tools orange for that same reason after having a hard time finding my splitting moll once. So wedges, axe, log roller etc are all orange now.

#28 ·
That makes sense for most things. But on the other hand, I hope I don’t lose my Scagg cheetah in the woods and definitely hope people don’t lose their full sized Kabota tractors.:ROFLMAO:

#29 ·
As you can see... I need a good blower. Over and over and over again. :giggle:

We have been blessed with some of the most amazing Fall colors this year. We are in an extreme drought at my house. Many of the storms and rains have gone around us by only a mile or two. We haven't had 3" of rain TOTAL since the first week of May. Even some of the trees are starting to show signs of the drought. I would guess we are close to 10" behind a normal year. My trails through the woods are 3 inches of powdery dust.

This is my view from my office window. Chicken coop and kid's trampoline in partial view.

Plant Cloud Sky Natural landscape Tree

A quick picture from 12 days ago. Pardon the mess in front of my garage as I'm rearranging some things and lack storage - it looks like a yard sale around here right now. Gotta get it all cleaned up before snow. This photo is taken facing NW so ALL of those leaves eventually make it to my yard.

Cloud Sky Plant Building Natural landscape

#32 ·
We are in an extreme drought at my house. Many of the storms and rains have gone around us by only a mile or two. We haven't had 3" of rain TOTAL since the first week of May. Even some of the trees are starting to show signs of the drought. I would guess we are close to 10" behind a normal year. My trails through the woods are 3 inches of powdery dust.
We're getting all of your rain down here it seems, we've had 2 meters (79 inches) of rain up until August this year breaking all records (just beat 1950) and it is still raining. We had 1700mm (67 inches) last year so it's been a very wet season. Our average annual rainfall is 1300mm or 50 inches. The ground is full and everything is mouldy, it's getting unbearable.

Beautiful photos!

• Sad
#31 ·
Nice place and beautiful trees.

#34 ·
Yes beautiful fall colors you have there. We are at peak fall color here too. Love driving around this time of year. Fall is always my favorite time, for all that and the hunting and fishing during this time is great.

#41 · (Edited)
My neighbor who I cut wood with has 2 older Husky’s and they leak bar oil terrible. I wont let him put them in the back of my Viking. Both of my stihl saws have never leaked a drop and I like the oil controller screw for adjusting the amount of oil flow to the bar.

#43 ·
My neighbor who I cut wood with has 2 older Husky’s and they leak bar oil terrible. I wont let him put them in the back of my Viking. Both of my stihl saws have never leaked a drop and I like oil controller screw for adjusting the amount of oil flow to the bar.
Surely Stihl have fixed that problem. Mine would not leak and would then out of the blue just dump the whole tank on whatever they were sitting on. My smaller Stihls didn't have an oil controller screw and would run the chain dry. I'm definitely going to have a look at the 500i.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.