Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran three tanks of gas through a brand new saw. My buddy came over to split some wood for me while I ran my Bobcat at my nextdoor neighbor's place. Grabbed my saw today cut up a tree and here's what my chain looked like... WTF!!! Could have shaved with it on Saturday morning.

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,517 Posts
🤔 mmm someone try cutting up Mother Earth?

Reactions: MNDirtRider

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
Whatever he did worked, you won't be asking him to come cut wood for you ever again 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
He's hit a nail or some metal by the look!

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's hit a nail or some metal by the look!
Certainly could have. Sometimes you run into weird stuff that grew into that trunk. Who knows...

I put a new chain on yesterday. $35 later and it's like a hot knife through butter again. I tried to file the old one enough to make it useable but there's a so much variation in what's left of the teeth. I may have the saw shop sharpen it sometime. They charge $12 a chain so it might be worth it for a few cuts on a dirty log that would ruin a nice chain.

Reactions: Sport4x4

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,517 Posts
This is what the shops use to sharpen the chains… I cut a lot of firewood so it was well worth the investment and I can sharpen a chain is a fraction of the time it takes with a file and get it much sharper.
Saw Miter saw Concrete saw Mitre saws Tool

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Sport4x4 - I wish you were in the neighborhood. I'd drop off some chains. :D

I don't cut near enough wood to invest in a sharpener that nice. What's your big Stihl in the background? I can't see the number. EDIT: I see now that it's a 261. Terrific saw! In fact, that's the one with the buggered up chain in the first picture. I also recently added a 400 CM. I've been in need of an upgrade for a while. So far, I'm really liking the m-tronic system.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking of selling this old girl but I'm not sure I can part with her. I only paid $175 including a new bar and chain when I bought it 3 years ago. She still runs awesome and cuts great but the air filtration on the new saws is SO MUCH BETTER! It was worth the upgrade for that alone. On this old one, it seems I need to clean the filter after every tank of gas. I think she's good to keep around in case I get in a pinch or one of the m-tronics has a temper tantrum. Sounds like they have the bugs worked out now though.

I also had an older MS180 that I sold last weekend. I just never used it.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Chainsaw Saw Saw chain Hand tool Tool

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,517 Posts
The M-tronic system is awesome and has been flawless for me so far and I work that 261c pretty hard since I bought it 7-8 years ago. Have you seen Stihl’s new saw with fuel injection? The MS 500i

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,517 Posts
Reactions: bd_skrillz

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The M-tronic system is awesome and has been flawless for me so far and I work that 261c pretty hard since I bought it 7-8 years ago. Have you seen Stihl’s new saw with fuel injection? The MS 500i
That's great to hear! I've worked the old 026 pretty hard too and that's why I bought the 400 a few weeks ago. So far, I'm pretty happy with it. It doesn't seem to oil that much for a 25" bar and that's my only complaint. I also upgraded to a Stihl Light Bar after 5-6 tanks of fuel. It just feels more balanced now. It has really nice power for the weight and it's a lot of fun to cut with. I have some big ash trees that are likely to die from the emerald ash borer in the next few years and I wanted enough saw to cut the stumps without working it to death. I watched lots of videos and asked a ton of questions before I decided between 462 and 400. The $350 I saved by buying the 400 (instead of 462) is how I justified treating myself to the 261and man what a treat it is to run! I'm just thrilled with the 261 with an 18" bar.

That 500i is the real deal! I mean, that thing is a damn Hot Rod! My brother-in-law has a 661 so I recruit him for anything that outside my skill set.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,517 Posts
I have a good friend that owns a logging company and when I asked him what his favorite chainsaw was after decades of running his business and working with other loggers before that he said the MS 261 without a doubt. But now he is saying the 261 is second to the new MS 500i. But then again huge difference in sizes.
I have two 20” bars for my 261 one light and the standard ematic that came on it (which is about wore out) and a 16” bar for smaller jobs.
The little MS 193 in the picture is a great saw too, so light you can run it with one hand. It has 14” bar and decent power for a small saw.
I have considered many times getting a bigger saw, but my old back keeps telling me I don’t need to be cutting with that much weight anymore. Lol.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,517 Posts
This is how I transport all of my logging tools to the woods in the Viking…
Wood Motor vehicle Tool Gas Engineering

Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Hood

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,517 Posts
You were younger 😉😆

·
Registered
2018 Yanmar Bull
293 Posts
yes my mind still wants to do things,but my body don't
Seems that way. I still try to do what I used. Sometimes it works, sometimes it takes a little longer....:ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Does buying a gas powered stihl hedge trimmer get me in the club?

• Haha

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,517 Posts
😆 sure 👍

1 - 20 of 54 Posts