Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost pulled the trigger on some wheels today, but I am still confused. I see everyone is buying wheels with the 5+2 offset. But when I looked at my viking the front and rear wheels are different offsets, and I think wheel size. So, best I can figure either the front tires/wheels will stick out further, or the rear will be tucked under more if I go with the 5+2. Am I right?

I actually wanted to go to a wider rim and was cosidering 4+4 offset to get a little wider stance. But, I don't want it to look akward given the stock wheels are different offsets.

Ready to buy, but not sure what size or sizes to order.

Please help.

PS>I know this has been touched on in other posts, but I still didn't get the full answer. I also understand wheel offset, but want the machine to look right when they are installed.:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I cant help you other to say, mine are the 5+2 all around, 14x7, and they fit and look great, and no rubbing AT ALL.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you use wheel spacers in the back, or did the 5+2's just mount right up?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
No spacers at all, they mount right up

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I had seen this article online where Yamaha & STI had joined up to put some tires/wheels on a Viking, so i figured if it worked for them, it be the right setup for me. I just went with a different tire.

STI is First to Fit the New Yamaha Viking

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I am going to go with 5+2's to be on the safe side; however, I am only going to 27 inch tires. Now the hard part, deciding which wheel and tire I want.:)

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Yeah, 27's will work great, although i have no issues with my 28's. Just remember some tires actually measure more or less than the stated size. The HD2's come in black or like mine. Bossmann has the black hd2s on his. He's running the same 28" tires as me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ITP SS108's in Black

Just ordered the new wheels, ITP SS108's in Black in 12x7 and offset of 5+2. Gonna run the stock tires for a while, but the rims will look nice. $269.00 delivered with lugs... ebay.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Thats a great price, congrads!!! Gonna look awesome.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone ever used the Gorilla Silverback tires? A buddy of mine bought a used razor and it came with a brand new set of wheels and tires "Silverbacks" in 28". He used the wheels and has offered me the tires. They are so over-the-top aggressive I believe the ride would really suffer. Hate to pass up brand new tires, but not sure they are for me. I will be doing mostly around the farm, hunting, and then some trail riding. But, don't want my yard torn to pieces everytime I drive through it.

What do you all think???

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
There a pure mud tire, I wouldn't

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, as I was writing my post I was thinking, "you are talking yourself out of these tires, so why even ask others opinions". LOL. I'll wait till I find a deal on some much less aggressive tires. Might take them and sell them and my stockers and buy what I want.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Ive heard alot of good things on the zillas, i think maxxis makes them, they have the mudzilla, and zilla. The Silverbacks are what come standard on the can-am outlander xmr, thats the mud atv, that comes with the tires, snorkels, relocated radiator from the factory

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a little piece of information: My local WalMart will dismount tires from stock rims and re-mount tires on my new ITP rims for $5.00 per new rim ($20.00 total). I'm guessing your local WalMart might do the same. Having mine done end of next week, when the new rims arrive. So if you buy new rims and tires and they are not already mounted check out your WalMart, might save you some cash.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
12x7 black ITP SS108's arrived today. Hopefully I can get these mounted over the weekend. Pics to follow

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Going to look great!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just installed my 27" Zillas on STI wheels. Tires look great but was dissappointed because they dont measure anywhere close to 27". If you measure them from the ground up they measure not quite 26" but based on the manufacture's tolerance and formula they use ( they measure the circumfrance and divide by pi(3.14)) they equal 26.35" . Still a great tire with a smooth ride and do very well in mud. However if you go with the ZIlla I would go with the 28" at least.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Yeah, you've got to be careful with that, especially when ordering tires online, cause alot of tires measure more or less than stated.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Just installed my 27" Zillas on STI wheels. Tires look great but was dissappointed because they dont measure anywhere close to 27". If you measure them from the ground up they measure not quite 26" but based on the manufacture's tolerance and formula they use ( they measure the circumfrance and divide by pi(3.14)) they equal 26.35" . Still a great tire with a smooth ride and do very well in mud. However if you go with the ZIlla I would go with the 28" at least.

would love to see some pics of it!!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts