Viking Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
my yamaha vinking VI, broke the connecting rod and broke the crankcase(3b4-1511-28-00) and other parts. My question is where can I buy a half motor or where do I get used parts for my repair.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I would hit up any and all the ATV/UTV salvage yards in your area, and if they don't have what you need they can probably point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, I can"t go to salvage garage because I not in USA.
And I call to power sport Nation, nflowmotorsport and utvenginer rebuild and they doesn't have the engine.

·
Super Moderator
4,182 Posts
What country are you in? You might be able to mail parts from the US to you. Have you tried Yamaha itself? I think JBS and others sell big bore kits, that might be an option, new stroker crank, rod, oversize piston, and I'm gussing the rod came out the front of the crankcase, so two new crankcase halves. Rocky Mountain ATV any good?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Cactus, What would cause one to blow a rod in one of these motors? Low oil, over rev, old age worn out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What country are you in? You might be able to mail parts from the US to you. Have you tried Yamaha itself? I think JBS and others sell big bore kits, that might be an option, new stroker crank, rod, oversize piston, and I'm gussing the rod came out the front of the crankcase, so two new crankcase halves. Rocky Mountain ATV any good?
[/QUOTE

Thanks, for the information

·
Super Moderator
4,182 Posts
Cactus, What would cause one to blow a rod in one of these motors? Low oil, over rev, old age worn out?
Yeah all of the above, although the Viking is rev limited so it's unlikely to be over revving. Little end failure can be a combination of age and bad engine design which is unlikely today, stress from constant over revving, not changing the oil often enough, running out of oil, overheating so the piston cracks then the rod breaks away, or just purely a lot of miles/worn out. Good thing is they usually give you plenty of notice before they fail, although not always.

Reactions: Sport4x4

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I don't hear of many SxS's loosing motors, back in the day I've sceized a few two cycle dirt bike motors but that was my fault running a little tooooo lean. I would think one of these would run forever as long as you keep clean oil in it.

·
Super Moderator
4,182 Posts
I don't hear of many SxS's loosing motors, back in the day I've sceized a few two cycle dirt bike motors but that was my fault running a little tooooo lean. I would think one of these would run forever as long as you keep clean oil in it.
I had the same thing years ago on a KX250 running up the highway at full throttle, it was lean at WOT so locked up and spat me off lol

People don't service them properly, it could've spat the dip stick and run dry for a minute, got hot cracked the piston, who knows. I've seen Toyota 4wd diesel pickups here with siezed motors because the owners missed oil change intervals. The Jap motors have so much piston blow by that the oil carbons up and turns to sludge, and then won't pump. The oil is so black, like Indian ink, you touch it and it ends up everywhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts