Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that are riding in muddy areas, are you having issues with the radiator getting packed with mud? over the holiday weekend, we went riding and the Viking kept overheating so we took it in for service (it was due anyway) and the tech is telling me the overheating is being caused by mud packed between the radiator fins......

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah just gotta wash out every ride. I do it to all my atvs

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've owned 2 rhino's an now a viking I've always had to wash the radiator after every ride an even weeds will plug it up also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah I've had a problem with mine overheating as well. I assumed it was due to being dirty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I went to see the tech this weekend, he had sent me pics of the radiator, but I figured an in person meet was needed. The good news is that they aren't gonna charge me for it this time, the bad news is that they say this is a constant issue with the Viking. I talked to him about relocating the radiator and he said that was not an issue and it would not void the warranty so I guess my next project is to locate a suitable place to relocate it to.......

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I used zip ties to install wire screen mesh just in front of my radiator, 1st on my rhino, now on my viking, does wonders for keeping mud and debris from plugging up the radiator, it's the same wire screen you would use for screen doors or windows

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I made some plastic side shields to keep tire splash out of the radiator and put some screen in front of it and have no issues now, I wash the screen off when I wash the machine(still in the machine). I had the same issues when I had a Rhino and this cured that also, never ran hot again.

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Well I went to see the tech this weekend, he had sent me pics of the radiator, but I figured an in person meet was needed. The good news is that they aren't gonna charge me for it this time, the bad news is that they say this is a constant issue with the Viking. I talked to him about relocating the radiator and he said that was not an issue and it would not void the warranty so I guess my next project is to locate a suitable place to relocate it to.......
It's not a Viking problem, it happens to a lot of ATV's. Put mesh in front of the radiator like has been said. Some guys here move the radiator to the back of the seats up above your head, up near the roof. It solves any mud/grass seeds overheating issues but you do get the fan running in your ear. These guys are hunting pigs so they aren't concerned about the noise, but for trail riding it mighn't be too good.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have about 8 ATV's total so I am quite familiar with the radiator getting clogged. I take exceptional care to clean out the radiator after every ride, and I am even careful to wash it mid day if we are at the local off road park because I know some mud will get on it even if it isn't "in the mud" . My concern on this issue is that the machine wasn't in the mud at all over the holiday weekend. My wife did put it in a small water hole to help cool it down (never got above the top of the tires) , but she never went into the mud like the rest of us did. This seems to be a combination of the trail dust (and there was a ton of that) mixing with the water from the water hole and turning to mud instantly.

I might try the screen in front of the radiator before relocating it...... Still waiting to get it back from the service department.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used zip ties to install wire screen mesh just in front of my radiator, 1st on my rhino, now on my viking, does wonders for keeping mud and debris from plugging up the radiator, it's the same wire screen you would use for screen doors or windows

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What sized wire mes are you using? Is it something like the "Woven Wire Cloth" seen here Custom Wire Cloth - Belleville Wire Cloth Co - Cedar Grove, NJ ?

I was thinking of just running down to the Hardware Store or Home Depot for some Hardware Cloth but I am afraid the openings of that stuff will be too large, and in essence, it will do basically nothing from blocking the mud and debris. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
180 Posts
If I know I am ridding where mud could be an issue I carry an old water fire extinguisher. I will also leave extra water at the truck with an air tank to refill it if need be.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've seen guys who know they are going to be around some cleanish water take a bilge pump, add a length of hose to it, and put one of those non adjustable brass hose nozles on the end. They just park up in some cleanish water, plug the pump into the 12v assessory plug, drop the bilge in the water and wash everything out.

Reactions: Big_Dave

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
What sized wire mes are you using? Is it something like the "Woven Wire Cloth" seen here Custom Wire Cloth - Belleville Wire Cloth Co - Cedar Grove, NJ ?

I was thinking of just running down to the Hardware Store or Home Depot for some Hardware Cloth but I am afraid the openings of that stuff will be too large, and in essence, it will do basically nothing from blocking the mud and debris. Any thoughts?
Don't know the size, it's just the wire screen mesh you would buy for screen doors or windows when it's time to replace it, don't get the fiberglass mesh, not as strong as the wire mesh

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5....and a lenght of string

·
Registered
2014 Viking SE
234 Posts
I am getting ready to do a total custom relocation that will still incoperate stock radiator, fan, wiring, and stock hoses.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I just put all the pieces together and got them painted for a pre radiator mud screen. I picked up some 3/4" u-channel and a pre made wire mesh window screen. I'm bolting a 22" piece across the bottom of the grill assembly and made 5" pieces that will go from the radiator support notched out for the top of the screen. They will be holding the screen down with wing nuts so it can be easily removed and cleaned

·
Registered
120 Posts
I like to use a weed sprayer just fill with water it works well. Had a problem at Brimstone once and had to use water bottles with a hole in the cap .

Sent from my Motorola bag phone.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I just put all the pieces together and got them painted for a pre radiator mud screen. I picked up some 3/4" u-channel and a pre made wire mesh window screen. I'm bolting a 22" piece across the bottom of the grill assembly and made 5" pieces that will go from the radiator support notched out for the top of the screen. They will be holding the screen down with wing nuts so it can be easily removed and cleaned

Do you have pics?
Would like to see this
I've been kicking around ideas of how to help keep the radiator clean

1 - 20 of 23 Posts