Viking Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2018 camo VI
382 Posts
I had a pcv when I had 14 g weights to raise the rev limiter. I’m sure you can send it to hunterworks to get a tune for it.

· Registered
2017 Yanmar Longhorn
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes, as stated you can view them with the front drive shaft pulled. Don't believe there is any way to get them tightened without pulling the motor. With your symptoms it is the bolts.
I assume it is pull the driveshaft, then the 4 bolts and case cover around where the driveshaft goes? I am almost there...On the 6 seater, don't think I need to move the front diff forward, saw a video of the driveshaft coming out without it...
Automotive tire Gas Wood Auto part Automotive wheel system

· Registered
2017 Yanmar Longhorn
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OK, I haven't cracked that seal on the case yet...ran out of daylight. Interesting, found a dangling exposed wire near where the Power Commander was. it runs alongside the harness and is spliced into the ECU plug on the wire that best I can tell is the signal from the speed sensor! This wire was loose before I removed the PC V box.. Ringing it out with my multimeter confirmed, this wire is connected to the white signal wire for the speed sensor. If this was bouncing around and randomly grounding out, it could cause some erratic speed readings. Sometimes my electronics degree pays off! In spite of all the "don't drive it!" recommendations (thanks by the way), I think I'm going to stick the airbox and driver's seat back in tomorrow, tape up the floating wire, cross my fingers and see if that was the issue all along before I crack open Schrodinger's gearcase. Regardless of the outcome, I still needed to pull all the plastic, clean out a ton of dirt (and cup full of spent brass) and POR-15 some rust in the pan and frame. Excuse all the posts and pictures, documenting for the next guy (I've learned a ton reading old posts here!)
Blue Textile Finger Line Electrical wiring

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
Ok going by your first pic it looks like your engine has been pulled apart before. And that wire is very suss, why is it like that, and yes it could be your issue here.

· Registered
2017 Yanmar Longhorn
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok going by your first pic it looks like your engine has been pulled apart before. And that wire is very suss, why is it like that, and yes it could be your issue here.
What is the telltale that makes you think the engine has been apart? It is over 1000 miles, and I assume part of that as a rental, so possible.

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
What is the telltale that makes you think the engine has been apart? It is over 1000 miles, and I assume part of that as a rental, so possible.
It looks like there's a fat layer of gasket glue, goo, or whatever it's called haha in the crankcase halves, which could mean that the case has aleady been split, or the middle gear has already failed and someone has worked that out and patched it and moved it on, or I've totally messed it all up!

· Registered
2017 Yanmar Longhorn
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update - I completely removed that extra wire tied to the speed sensor at the ECU. At first nothing, then speedometer working accelerating and decelerating, then nothing again and code 42 for the speed sensor... I'll have the new sensor Tuesday, so it's just paint and cleanup over the weekend until I try the new sensor.

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
Did you still have the noise?

· Registered
2017 Yanmar Longhorn
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Did you still have the noise?
Because it's new to me, I'm not familiar with all the sounds, but with all the interior and sound deadening out, I didn't hear anything that sounded like grinding gears. I'm pretty sure any popping I hear is the exhaust. I'm not going to drive it again until I get the new speed sensor in. pressure washing/scraping/wire brushing rust will keep me busy until I have to work on a different project Saturday afternoon. this thing lived it's first 3 years on the gulf coast, so plenty of rust to conquer. Only surface rust except a couple of small spots...

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
Where did that wire run to? Code 42 is "speed sensor, no normal signals are received from the speed sensor".

· Registered
2017 Yanmar Longhorn
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
October Surprise!.. The speed sensor showed up yesterday instead of Tuesday. And it works! My theory is the dangling bare wire would ground out the signal on deceleration, causing the same symptom as the middle gear. Once I pulled everything apart, it changed when that wire grounded out, but eventually killed the speed sensor. That wire might originally have been used in one of the optional inputs to the power commander, who knows. Sigh of relief, now I can turn to what's important: New rims and tires!

· Registered
4 Posts
My glass is half empty, my glass is half full, or maybe I just need to pour another glass!. Changed the oil tonight (even though wasted if the bolts are indeed loose). Took a risk and drove it around the 'hood (less than a mile). Speedometer almost never worked, and when it did only a brief second. Either the gear is getting very loose, or I may get lucky and it just be a sensor. Ordered a new sensor in case. Didn't have time to just clean the connection, mosquitos were crazy. Still plan to pull the driveshaft to inspect before the sensor shows up. Curious if anyone with a 2017 has had the middle gear issue?
I have 2014 bolt came out gear caught the head of bolt drove it threw case got lucky I guess I pulled out motor Yamaha pulled it down got hole welded . 4000 km $1500.00 why is Yamaha not going good for repairs no Loctite should be a class action lawsuit

· Registered
4,156 Posts
Agree!

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
Way out of warranty time period unless there is a YES warranty still in effect. So Yamaha wouldn’t be obligated.
Didn’t I read somewhere in this forum that Yamaha addressed this issue on later models during production?

· Registered
4 Posts
Way out of warranty time period unless there is a YES warranty still in effect. So Yamaha wouldn’t be obligated.
Didn’t I read somewhere in this forum that Yamaha addressed this issue on later models during production?
They started using Loctite. Way off warranty it was happening to them back when they were new they just didn't let any one who bought one know it was yamaha fault I won't be buying another Yamaha anything

21 - 39 of 39 Posts