Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2017 Yanmar Longhorn
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Yanmar Longhorn (Viking Vi). Speedometer quits when you let off the gas (and I hear a pop noise) then works again when on the gas. Is a little intermittent at low speed.

So I guess I need to stop driving it until I can get it fixed. One trustworthy local shop is familiar with the issue, but hasn't repaired one yet (has done top end on Vikings before). ~3w before he can touch it. In between lake season and deer season is busy for folks who work on these and PWC also...

Anyone have a recommendation for a shop in Central Texas that is familiar with this repair, meaning they know what else to look for and don't have to fiddle around figuring out how to get things apart? I could probably pull the engine (don't want to) but I'm not confident enough to split the case and fix this...

· Registered
2017 Viking EPS
304 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that it's in regard to issues. It sounds like you're on the right path though. Keep us posted.

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
Yes welcome. Hopefully someone from texas will chime in with some help.

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
It can be fixed without pulling the engine (Getzy?). Don't drive it though, it will crack the crankcase when it fails, and then it's a big job to fix.

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
And any experienced motorcycle mechanic will be able to do the job, whether he's fixed that problem or not before. Good luck and yes keep us posted!

· Registered
2018 camo VI
382 Posts
I would check a speedo sensor first. But if it is a middle gear, you will have to take the engine out I believe.

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
would love to hear more on this...pull the front driveshaft and tighten through there?
I'm sure someone on here did it that way. Buck2g?

· Registered
2017 Yanmar Longhorn
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
would love to hear more on this...pull the front driveshaft and tighten through there?
Guess not. Will look closer to make sure it's not just sensor. The pop on deceleration I initially thought was a small backfire, is that possible, and unrelated? From a previous post, looks like I may be able to see 3 of the bolts with the front driveshaft out, I think that's my next step. I do have a scope camera for my cellphone that might help.

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
Ok I found this thread. Pull the front driveshaft to check if it is the middle gear,

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
Yeah, I'd be pulling the front drive shaft and looking first, if it's not loose that will save you from pulling and stripping the engine. If it is loose, well you have to pull the front driveshaft anyway.
It's a shame it couldn't be tightened through the front shaft, maybe make a tool up and try?

· Registered
819 Posts
Yes, as stated you can view them with the front drive shaft pulled. Don't believe there is any way to get them tightened without pulling the motor. With your symptoms it is the bolts.

· Registered
2018 camo VI
382 Posts
The Viking pops on deceleration, they run lean from factory so there is that. But the speedometer being on and off on gas and no gas leads me to believe middle gear. I would try the sensor first to eliminate that. I thought this was on mainly 2014 models but I could be wrong.

· Registered
2017 Yanmar Longhorn
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My glass is half empty, my glass is half full, or maybe I just need to pour another glass!. Changed the oil tonight (even though wasted if the bolts are indeed loose). Took a risk and drove it around the 'hood (less than a mile). Speedometer almost never worked, and when it did only a brief second. Either the gear is getting very loose, or I may get lucky and it just be a sensor. Ordered a new sensor in case. Didn't have time to just clean the connection, mosquitos were crazy. Still plan to pull the driveshaft to inspect before the sensor shows up.

Curious if anyone with a 2017 has had the middle gear issue?

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
Don't drive it until you pull the shaft and have a look!!!!
I think all models are susceptible to it failing, except maybe the latest (you would imagine that Yamaha would have fixed this). I'm pretty sure that 2017's and later have failed.

Reactions: Sport4x4

· Registered
2017 Yanmar Longhorn
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any idea how much stuff I need to pull to get a good view? I'm guessing back center seat, maybe airbox. I'm sure I will figure it out, just looking for pointers from folks who have been there. I plan to pull much of that anyway to clean up 5 years of dust...

· Registered
2017 Yanmar Longhorn
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any idea how much stuff I need to pull to get a good view? I'm guessing back center seat, maybe airbox. I'm sure I will figure it out, just looking for pointers from folks who have been there. I plan to pull much of that anyway to clean up 5 years of dust...
I have enough pulled out that I will be able to see once I pull the driveshaft. A little power washing first... Since this is a Yanmar, it had the power commander V installed to limit speed (someone has previously turned that off). I removed the whole Power Commander for now, but I read somewhere that you can use that to adjust for tire size? May get re-installed after I figure out this current problem.

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
BlueBull can help you with that he has a Yanmar.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts