Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I was running the Viking pretty hard on some paved roads. I first noticed that my speedo wouldn't work on deceleration but when I bumped the gas it would read correctly again. Then shortly after I heard a loud whine on deceleration, but the noise went away after I bumped the gas. So I took it home a slid the front differential for
ward so I could remove the drive shaft from the motor case under the middle seat. When I opened up the case one bolt was laying in the bottom and the other three were loose. So then I pulled the motor and took it down to James and he helped me get it torn down and back together. I caught it all just in time. But, man what a project!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

· Registered
304 Posts
That's good to hear, with having James help fix it did he happen to say that this will keep it from happening again or does he think it is a flaw with the motor and could happen again?

· Registered
4,156 Posts
Did you all drank on some moonshine?!!!!

Reactions: cactus

· Registered
304 Posts
What are the 2 other bolts that come loose? Anyone know?

· Registered
1 Posts
Buckg2, if I read your post right, you could see the loose/missing bolts with the engine still installed. How did you do this? I think I have the same problem, but would like to know for sure before I go through the massive job of pulling the engine and splitting the case.

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
Buckg2, if I read your post right, you could see the loose/missing bolts with the engine still installed. How did you do this? I think I have the same problem, but would like to know for sure before I go through the massive job of pulling the engine and splitting the case.
He said he moved the front diff forward which then allowed him to remove the driveshaft from the front of the motor. If you look at his 2nd photo you can see a large hole on the right side of the right hand crankcase half. I'm guessing he could see or get his hand into the bottom of the sump through this hole to check the bolts.

· Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's right, your can unbolt the front differential and slide it forward. Then unbolt the driveshaft from the front of the motor and slide it forward. With a flashlight you can see 3 of the four bolts that hold the middle drive housing.

· Registered
7,326 Posts
Mine goes to zero when I brake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

· Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What physically happens is the speed sensor is like an abs sensor like on the front wheel of a truck. It reads the speed of the middle drive gear. When the bolts start to come loose there is play in the gears bearing. So on deceleration the gear pulls away from the sensor. When accelerating it tightens back up from the torque. So with it still reading the while in N and coasting there may be enough torque to keep reading the sensor. I have heard of some sensors going bad also. The sensor may also could of come loose a bit and pulled away from the case. I'd start there.

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
^^^^^^ Dgshannon the speed sensor is below and in front of the dipstick, might be worth having a look just in case.

· Registered
10 Posts
Don’t see any loose connections. Going to take the diff heat shield of and see if I notice ay vibrations. The shield makes a lot of racket. Taking it in for oil, wheel bearing and tie rod on Monday, I’ll make sure they take a good look at the used oil.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts