Viking Forum banner

Marlin Firearms Problems?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Sport4x4 
#1 ·
Hey all,
Can anyone tell me wtf is going on with Marlin? I'm the very proud owner of a Model 336 Big Loop lever in 30-30, and I absolutely love that gun (it's shot hundreds of pigs as well as countless other game), it's the perfect gun for me on all accounts, but from what I can see Marlin don't make them anymore. So when I look at the Marlin website the only lever action that I see available is the Model 1895, in three variants, and all in 45-70? And no rimfires? I heard about the quality issues when Ruger took over, but, am I missing something else here?
They made an awesome 16 inch barrel, stainless big loop lever rifle with Piccatinny rail in 357 magnum a few years back, I wanted one but, they have disappeared, anyone know why???

#2 ·
Marlin was bought out by Remington in 2007, not Ruger, and started making their levers again, but didn't do a very good job at it.. Original Marlin rifles have a JM stamp in the barrel where it meets the receiver, so if you don't see a JM stamp there, its post 2007.. I believe PM was stamped after 2007..

In 2020, Ruger acquired the Marlin firearms division of Remington Outdoors.. And they are now producing Marlin levers under Ruger.. They started with the 45-70, I've played with one, and its very nice, just like the original Marlins were. When I can get my hands on a .30-30 or .35 Ruger/ Marlin, Ill probably buy one.

I have a few 'Real' Marlin 336 in .30-30, and .35, not to mention a couple Henry and Winchester levers, I love levers!

If you want a well made awesome (rim fire), or center fired lever, have a look at the Henry Golden Boy, or Silver Boy, or the Blued version with octagon barrel.. It will make any other lever feel cheap, and their lifetime warranty second to none..

#3 ·
Ah yes I meant to say Remington. But why would Ruger only make one Marlin gun and in one caliber only when Marlin had so many great levers in all different calibers? I'll see if I can dig out a paper catalogue I have from a while back. And thanks, I'll check out the Henry.

#5 ·
That's good to know, it's just that it's been three years. Can't wait to see what else is coming.

Reactions: Ultratec
#6 ·
I have a Marlin 1894S in .44 Remington Magnum that I bought over 30 years ago. It is a fantastic rifle and I just sighted it in with a new optical sight. The old Tasco Pro-Point finally died.

Reactions: Sport4x4
#7 ·
That's great! What animals have you shot with it?

#9 ·
Poor Pussies

#10 ·
They make cream for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.