Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started building my electrical sub-panel which sits in a Lexan tray above the battery.

Tray is made from 8"x10" piece of Lexan. It will sit above the battery. Yes, it has a crack in it.

I am using a 12 circuit + ground fuse block, 12 circuit terminal block, 10 screw buss bar and 5 relays. Lots of velcro and terminal ends.

It looks complex but it is not. Just the same 4 relay connections repeated over and over.

Relay wiring:

-White is the relay trigger (pin 86) that goes to the rocker switch.
-Black is the relay ground (pin 85) and connects to the ground buss.
-Blue is the load + power input (pin 30) and connects to the fuse block. Fuses will be selected based upon what the relay will power.
-Yellow is the load + power output (pin 87) and connects to the terminal block. I also ran grounds to the terminal block to provide 5 pairs of relay switched + and - connections.

The 10 screw buss bar will connect to the 12v key-on switched power I pulled from the accessory outlet circuit. It will be feed the rocker switches that trigger the relays along with my heater relay and winch trigger.

Next I need to make up the switch harness and install the switches.

Stay tuned.

I blame Rob and James for making me need new tires & safety harnesses.
Sent from the top of Poop Mountain

Reactions: robleticia

·
Super Moderator
4,182 Posts
Looks great BM, are those connectors crimped then heated to give a waterproof seal?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
looks awesome monkey!!
im dreading doing my electrical. i keep reading and reading but the more i read the more confused i get. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Looks great. I like how you explain the relay hookups and you can clearly see where the fuses and ground wires go.

That reference should be a big help to other forum members!

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
looks awesome monkey!!
im dreading doing my electrical. i keep reading and reading but the more i read the more confused i get. lol

M0nkeys pic and wire diagram helps clear up some things about how to bring in the relays on the heavy items.

If I can get through this as a non-experienced, no skill havin yuppie, I know for sure you'll be able to breeze through this. For you, it's just a matter of snipping the right wires on your light bar harness. It's very doable. GO FORTH AND CONQUER!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
i really wana tackle it this week but i have a ride this saturday and dont want to be all tore apart so maybe ill push it back to next week. lol........eventually im going to have to stop putting it off and try it but i dont want to miss out on rides cuz my buggy is down

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
maybe ill just wait till winter. i dont ride much in the winter

Reactions: bd_skrillz

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks great BM, are those connectors crimped then heated to give a waterproof seal?
Yes crimp and heat shrink.

Reactions: cactus

·
Registered
3,689 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Those lemons ain't too shabby either.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i really wana tackle it this week but i have a ride this saturday and dont want to be all tore apart so maybe ill push it back to next week. lol........eventually im going to have to stop putting it off and try it but i dont want to miss out on rides cuz my buggy is down

Best way to gain confidence IMO is to bench test the setup using a battery. This way you don't risk hurting any other electronics and you will gain a better understanding of how that small circuit works. If you need any help I will be happy to assist.

Reactions: bd_skrillz

·
Registered
352 Posts
Started building my electrical sub-panel which sits in a Lexan tray above the battery.

Tray is made from 8"x10" piece of Lexan. It will sit above the battery. Yes, it has a crack in it.

I am using a 12 circuit + ground fuse block, 12 circuit terminal block, 10 screw buss bar and 5 relays. Lots of velcro and terminal ends.

It looks complex but it is not. Just the same 4 relay connections repeated over and over.

Relay wiring:

-White is the relay trigger (pin 86) that goes to the rocker switch.
-Black is the relay ground (pin 85) and connects to the ground buss.
-Blue is the load + power input (pin 30) and connects to the fuse block. Fuses will be selected based upon what the relay will power.
-Yellow is the load + power output (pin 87) and connects to the terminal block. I also ran grounds to the terminal block to provide 5 pairs of relay switched + and - connections.

The 10 screw buss bar will connect to the 12v key-on switched power I pulled from the accessory outlet circuit. It will be feed the rocker switches that trigger the relays along with my heater relay and winch trigger.

Next I need to make up the switch harness and install the switches.

Stay tuned.

Looks nice...please provide your resources for parts. I will be following and may do something similar.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Best way to gain confidence IMO is to bench test the setup using a battery. This way you don't risk hurting any other electronics and you will gain a better understanding of how that small circuit works. If you need any help I will be happy to assist.

thanks ricochet. i appreciate it!!

Reactions: ricochet

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Switch harness is done and bench test is complete! Just need to make up the power leads, cut a hole for the switches and install it.

Daisy chained the ground and + going to the switches.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Clean and professional. Hat's off.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts