Viking Forum banner

Looking to buy first side by side need advice

2K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  cactus 
#1 · (Edited)
I have narrowed my search to a Wolverine. I am a yamaha fan with past dirt bikes and boat motors plus the most convenient service location only deals yamaha. I have been browsing trader, craigslist and marketplace and the prices are all over the place. I am trying to understand the differences in models of the wolverine. Is there a link to compare?
4-5 year old low hour one owners are priced thousands more than a new one.

#2 ·
I suggest you go to Yamaha's website and do a comparison there. There are several different models of Wolverines, they are generally slightly smaller with bigger motors than the Viking, and more of a sport/trail machine where the viking works well on trails but is considered more of a utility machine. Some of the different models are just the amount of accesories they come with.

Reactions: cactus
#3 ·
Welcome to the forum! Do you have any requirements and how will you be using it? For example, how many seats, using it for hunting, property maintenance, general trail riding, do you need a dump bed etc? Yes, there's lots of guys that bought machines in the past couple of years that are back to "normal" life and have no time to ride so they're trying to take advantage of Yamaha's very slow delivery times and ask a fortune for a slightly used machine since it's been hard to find new inventory for the past 2 years or so. Since you said Wolverine and 4-5 years old, I will make a recommendation based solely on my own experience, DO NOT buy a used Gen 1 Wolverine 700. Some owners have had great luck and performance but it's luck of the draw. There are well documented issues with that 708 motor. The chassis is fantastic but the motors grenade when the oil pump/water pump drive gear gets loose. No warning... just BOOM! Some have had this happen at 300 miles, some at 8000 miles. They also have a Yamaha service bulletin for oil consumption that gives you a new top end. I had my top end done multiple times before 2000 miles and I gave up and got rid of it. All of my machines are babied, serviced, and maintained. I wouldn't take any 708 Yamaha for free after all the hassle I went through. Many dealers won't even take a 708 in on trade as their wholesalers won't buy them. I was lucky and found a dealer that traded mine. (It's a long story)

If you're looking at the X2/X4 series 850 Wolverines, Make sure to thoroughly inspect the intake. There's a drain plug in the bottom of the airbox that can fall off and it sucks in water/mud. Other than that, their very bulletproof machines as long as they have been properly serviced. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
The Viking is a great all rounder, the three seats, dump bed, and trail ability are all excellent. Rear engine placement means that the engine is easy to work on. The motor is slightly under powered however it's not really an issue.

#10 ·
Yes it is. It has the tried and true 686cc Yamaha motor that has been used for over a decade. The Viking never had the 708cc motor made by Subaru, only the Wolverine, Grizzly and Kodiak had those from 2016 through 2018 then the 708 was never produced again because of the issues mentioned above. The Grizzly and Kodiak from that point on went back to the 686 and the Wolverine was given a new motor the 850

#13 ·
mndirttider and sport4x4 really know how to nerd out over yamaha facts.:ROFLMAO:

#18 ·
2 brains 🧠 are better than 1.

#24 ·
That's why I'm glad for the extra seat and dump trailer. My big feet.

Reactions: Sport4x4
#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.