Viking Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to forum. I have a 2015 Viking 6-seater. Power steering. I am not any kind of a mechanic. But I feel I can fix this.

My 10 y/o got off the machine and it would no longer start. Had not been in any water. Just riding in the yard. It is getting power. When I try to start it sounds liquid water/coolant is gurgling. I opened the air filter compartment under middle back seat and the filter was sitting in fluid. I took the drenched filter out and felt a hole in bottom of. Not draining. I stuck a school driver down to the tapered end of this hole and popped out something/spicket. It drained out. I can’t access that from underneath because of the skid plate.

Figuring this was probably something easy, like a displaced clamp on a coolant line or so forth, I drove up to Hattiesburg Cycles where I bought the machine. They are a major Yamaha dealer, claiming largest in Mississippi. I bought the machine from them new. I asked a service department guy at the desk about speaking to a technician. I described in detail and said I would bring it up if not something I could do, but just wanted their advice. The guy told me that if I had been speaking to any Yamaha forums groups they were very unreliable, and that he couldn’t tell me anything. That I would have to bring it in to have it assessed. ????

Okay, so if anyone could be so kind as to tell me what this likely is and how I might access it and possibly fix myself. I appreciate anyone’s time.

Sincerely

·
Super Moderator
4,182 Posts
It was coolant in the air box yeah? Have you ever changed the coolant?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The airbox may have collected water from rain or washing if you haven’t driven in any water. The drain hole may have been plugged from dirt and filter oil dripping off your filter. I have seen this on a old quad I had. You probably pushed a drain hose off with the screwdriver. Not a big deal. Would it start after you got the filter off and water drained out?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also check for water in your oil. You may have sucked water into the cylinder. If there is water in there drain the oil and refill with new filter, run for 10-15 minutes then drain it again, and keep doing this until there is no more water coming out, providing you can get it started. Your dealer doesn’t sound very helpful. He doesn’t like these forums because guy’s figure out how to get their machines fixed from the help of others on the forums vs taking them to him to pay his exorbitant fees. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I had a lot of water down in there too. Mice had made a nest by the intake under the hood and it must have let rainwater down there. Mine wouldn't drain either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum. The airbox may have collected water from rain or washing if you haven’t driven in any water. The drain hole may have been plugged from dirt and filter oil dripping off your filter. I have seen this on a old quad I had. You probably pushed a drain hose off with the screwdriver. Not a big deal. Would it start after you got the filter off and water drained out?
No, it won’t start. Think I should change air filter, change oil and filter. See what. I just don’t understand how that aur filter compartment was full of water. Something on the coolant side to engine has to be disconnected and draining into?

·
Registered
68 Posts
You might want to put a new spark plug in it and a shot of starting fluid to see if it will fire up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts