Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As stated in my previous post, I was concerned about the fit when combining the OEM cargo box and the Kolpin rear panel/window. I received my Kolpin panel yesterday and gave it a try. In short...it isn't even close to working :(

After installing the window, I put the cargo box back in the bed and tried to slide it forward to the mounting holes. Unfortunately, the box contacts the window before (about 1/2" short) it lines up with the holes. Then, even if that were not an issue, if you open the box...the lid contacts the window when opened just a few inches.

BTW: The window is touching at top of the center headrest, the roll cage below the center headrest and the lower seat belt bracket...so it can't get any closer either.

Here's the box touching the window. NOTE: The box still needs to go forward a bit before it lines up with the mounting holes.
View attachment 2697

View attachment 2705

Here's the lid as it touches when opening. Again, the box still needs to go forward.
View attachment 2713

View attachment 2721

The only way to make this work is to move the box, towards the tailgate, to the next set of mounting holes. But that would simply leave a void of wasted space in front of the box.

Crazy thing was that, when I bought it, the rep said he had talked with the tech department and was told that they had tried their window and the OEM box out before offering them....which was obviously BS!

Called customer service this morning and have not heard back yet...BUMMER!!!

·
Registered
854 Posts
I guess you got some automated thing when you called in? no real human on the other end? Hopefully they get back to you, try sending an email.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Left voice message and sent e-mail. I'll give them some time.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
That is a bummer, send it back, and get the Yamaha rear window, im pretty happy with mine, and i bet it'll work fine with your box. and be alot cheaper!!!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
And you should tell them to cover the return shipping, since you where told it would work with the box, and it does not.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to give an update: I did talk with customer service and e-mailed them some photos. I just wanted to be fair to them as, at this point, they DO seem to be quite concerned over this. They are selling a product that does not work as described, and they obviously need to come up with something.

Rep took all my info and was going get it over to engineering immediately. So far, customer service is good and they are doing what they need to do.

I'll keep you informed.

M-N-T

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately, Kolpin was unable to come up with anything to remedy this situation. They also do not have anything in the works that would work either.

So....if you are planning on purchasing the Kolpin rear panel/window, here is what you need to know.

#1. You cannot use it with the OEM cargo box...and I know of no other rear storage boxes available.

#2. With the window installed, you cannot tilt your bed if you have anything loaded just a couple/few inches higher than the bed and flush up against the front.

As far as customer service goes...they were GREAT, and admitted this was an oversight on their part. They really did go out of their way to make sure this ended on as positive a note as possible (A+). They are taking it back for a full refund and absorbing all shipping costs.

BUMMER...I did like the window!

M-N-T

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Get the yamaha window

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Viking2k14...could you please post a couple photos from the same angle that I have posted. I think the Yamaha window would work, but only because its flexible and I'm think it would simply rub while opening and closing the box. I could be wrong, but I think its going to take a hard formed panel (done with this issue in mind) to keep from rubbing and or touching.

Not the end of the world if it touches though.

M-N-T

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I'll get some tomorrow

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390495975.628291.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390495994.555285.jpg

First pic is of the bed tilting, thats the closest point to the window, and just grazes it, but its not a hard spot there, it'll push in, so i really dont think you'd have an issue with your box. Just like the Kolpin where it leaves a gap at the top, between the window/panel and rear roof, where dust could come in, we are about done making a cover for the gap, using material like the window is made of, and industrial Velcro. Its gonna work out really well, and look good to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THANKS for the photos, this may be my only option. I sent out a few e-mails to see if anyone else had a hard window in the works...but it's nice to know I could fall back on this. Looks like it would probably just rub a little.

Thanks again,
M-N-T

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
No problem at all, its really nice for the price, i think.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've noticed some comments about the kolpin rear window not being the best fit with the Yamaha bed box. Question is why would anybody want to use a bed box in the Viking when there's almost as much storage underneath the driver seat accessible from behind the driver seat once you open the bed? Any number of flexible boxes can be fitted under the seat for ample storage without taking up the bed space..let's get creative here, not to mention the huge savings on the overpriced Yamaha accessories

·
Registered
54 Posts
ps a flexible denier nylon bag works wonders with holding my winch, cables and all the other various tools I would normally carry in a bit box. By the way it also helps with dampening the noise under that void space

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've noticed some comments about the kolpin rear window not being the best fit with the Yamaha bed box. Question is why would anybody want to use a bed box in the Viking when there's almost as much storage underneath the driver seat accessible from behind the driver seat once you open the bed? Any number of flexible boxes can be fitted under the seat for ample storage without taking up the bed space..let's get creative here, not to mention the huge savings on the overpriced Yamaha accessories
The bed box is watertight and very easy to access through both sides. you can also see what's in there easily. I do quite a bit of hunting, and I will most definitely have water up to the floorboards when crossing streams. I thought of storing stuff under the seat...but it gets wet-dusty-muddy down there. I even fit a canvas bag down there but experience tells me that zippers and dirt/mud don't work. You could probably pull the side panel off and put a plastic storage box in there (and leave it). But I don't know convenient that would be to access?

You are absolutely correct on one thing - there is a ton of room down there!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey MnT, you have a great point - @ my age my mind is limited by my little world - didn't consider the stream crossings! a definite turnoff if you're holding a sandwich...haha, well, I guess I got put off by the cost at first as my full size pickup box (good quality) was about the same as the reduced size Yammie box.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The bummer thing is that I really did/do like the Kolpin rear window. And for what's it's worth, Kolpin customer service was EXCELLENT when I explained the situation.

I have also spoken with a couple other hard window manufactures and everyone is telling me that the number one thing they are having a problem with is that middle seat shoulder belt attachment. If it wasn't for that, they could easily bend the widow to follow the center headrest cage...and they would work fine.

We certainly agree on one thing...accessories are CRAZY expensive!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Does anyone know if the factory Yamaha soft one is safe for trailering of will the thing blow apart as soon as I hit 75 on the highway?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I was wondering the same, need to call the dealer and ask i guess, if i hear something, i'll let ya know.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts