Viking Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the new Kolpin rear panel today and got it installed. Though I did not have time to take it for a spin today, tomorrow afternoon I will be taking it on a test ride and will be able to provide a review. As for ease of install... I did it by myself in about 1/2 hour. A large portion of that time was spent going over the instructions and removing the protective plastic. Looks great, pictures to come tomorrow.

Suggestions-
Use two people to install, will make it super easy
Remove protective film from around bolt holes before install
wet rubber stops with a little spit before pushing them in

Reactions: Yammerhammer

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Nice!! Does it go up to the roof? Or is there a gap? Looking foward to the pics

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is short of the roof about 2", but has a lip that turns up. Hopefully the lip will reduce the wind getting in. Pics tomorrow. It also goes down past the bed about 1-2 inches. Also, big ride planned for Sunday so I will get some trail riding experience with it.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Im pretty happy with the Yamaha window, its about the same on the gap, and goes down below the top of bed aswell. Like i said in other posts, I got some material , like the rear window is made of, and where gonna cover the gap up, so should work out pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Got the new Kolpin rear panel today and got it installed. Though I did not have time to take it for a spin today, tomorrow afternoon I will be taking it on a test ride and will be able to provide a review. As for ease of install... I did it by myself in about 1/2 hour. A large portion of that time was spent going over the instructions and removing the protective plastic. Looks great, pictures to come tomorrow.

Suggestions-
Use two people to install, will make it super easy
Remove protective film from around bolt holes before install
wet rubber stops with a little spit before pushing them in
Glad you finally got it! Looking forward to the pic's. How close does it come to the middle lower seat belt bracket?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Installed my Kolpin last week. I like it and am glad to have it. Install was a breeze. But, the rear window is not as thick as the Yamaha front window. This may attribute to slightly more rattle and vibration than a thicker window, especially at idle, but not a deal breaker for me. Those 2 little rubber grommets aren't big enough IMO and don't stay in very good. A quick fix for me here is the double sided 3M tape at the bottom and in more than two places. As far as knocking down the "on your neck and down your back airflow", a definite improvement over nothing, with just a hint of air coming in the back. Overall, I'd buy one again. Another thing I might add is you should wax both sides of the window (believe it even suggested this in the instructions too). This will help protect from scratches. Out on the trail when these get muddy, espec. the front, they will scratch way too easy when cleaning.

Reactions: cactus

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Some really nice reviews so far, im glad ya'll are happy with it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad you finally got it! Looking forward to the pic's. How close does it come to the middle lower seat belt bracket?
The seat belt bracket is not an issue, though I didn't pay too close of attention to it, it was not against it. The middle headrest touches the panel and the rear bar behind the middle headrest all but touches. I am sure I can adjust it, as it does bend a bit and by moving the clamps closer together it will "buldge" back a bit. I actually like it touching the headrest pad, as I am hoping it helps with vibration. I have not started my since the install; however, this afternoon it is going for a test run.

I don't think you'll have any trouble with the factory tool box either. Good luck MASS.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some pics. It works really well at stopping the air coming in from the back. It does not reduces the noise not one bit. LOL.

I can see how someone with a little ingenuity could certainly make this a full enlcosure with a little material and snaps/velcro. Then you would only need the doors.

Attachments

Reactions: mass-n-trash

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Thanks for the pics.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Here are some pics. It works really well at stopping the air coming in from the back. It does not reduces the noise not one bit. LOL.

I can see how someone with a little ingenuity could certainly make this a full enlcosure with a little material and snaps/velcro. Then you would only need the doors.

That looks pretty nice! Does that almost touch right at the seatbelt bracket? Like I said...I only have 1/4 clearance between the cargo box and that bracket.

As far as noise goes...Just to see if it made a difference, I shoved a bunch of towels between the back of the seats and the bed. I will tell you...it IS noticeable! You can all try this...you'll see what I mean. Quite a bit of the noise we are all hearing is coming right up from in back of the seats. Now, just need to figure out something that I can put in there.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Not a bad idea mass, not bad at all, i'll tell ya, ive started wearing ear plugs in my ears, just to see how it does, it's the best mod yet, lol. To me, it just makes the ride alot more enjoyable. Its really nice IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
If I can come up with something functional behind the seat, and then add an aftermarket quieter exhaust...I think it will be much better. They make something for the Rhino (for sound)...and I'm sure someone is probably working on a better exhaust for the Viking right now. I HOPE! :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
lol, just alower smoother tone would be nice, My Canam 800 Vtwin isn't the quiestest thing ever, but it has a nice, good soundint tone to it, and it doesn't bother me at all. With the ear plugs, the viking has the tone I like

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought new Viking. It will be ready in about a week. Thinking about back wind shield. Is Kolpin better than the one listed in the Yamaha Viking accessory web page ?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
The Kolpin panel is a hard panel and the OEM Yamaha one is clear flexible vinyl like. Do a search and you can find tons of info on hear...pros and cons. I liked the Kolpin panel, but it will not work with the OEM bed storage container.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Just bought new Viking. It will be ready in about a week. Thinking about back wind shield. Is Kolpin better than the one listed in the Yamaha Viking accessory web page ?
I like the Yamaha rear window

·
Registered
60 Posts

Any reviews after a few rides? From the pics it looks like visibility is not the best given the design of the poly window with all those bends in there. Maybe it was just the angle of the pic too??

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like the Yamaha window; it is easy to install & remove, it rolls up for storage, it covers top to bottom, it reduces noise a bit, it eliminates most of the dust that roils in from the back, & it keeps out the rain.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts