Viking Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Viking vi with 28” mega mayhems. I new there would be some power loss but I defiantly notice it. I use low when needed to save on the clutch. My question is, is it worth the jbs exteme sheave or can I get away with a shim? I would love to save my $400 + if I could. But I’m not opposed to getting the sheave. Just testing the waters. I know people who say the shim will give me my bottom end back but lose top end. Thanks again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ran a shim in my 2016 for about 3 years before i slugged the wet clutch and did the JBS sheave upgrade. Made a big difference on low end but I did lose 5 mph on the top with 27" Tusk Terrabites. It was a cheap solution!!

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts
I ran a shim in my 2016 for about 3 years before i slugged the wet clutch and did the JBS sheave upgrade. Made a big difference on low end but I did lose 5 mph on the top with 27" Tusk Terrabites. It was a cheap solution!!

How did the sheave compare with the shim, was there much difference between the two?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a little over 1.5mm of shims in. When I went to the sheave the low end was comparable to what I had with the shims as far as the getting you moving feel goes. But with the sheave,18g weights and purple spring it holds rpm longer before it shifts so it (spins tires longer) and gets you up to speed faster. Plus I gained my 5 MPH back as well. Which wasn't a huge deal for me but it is nice when your running faster because rpms are lowered. Plus your not hitting rev limiter when your wide open. The biggest notice is when i put tracks on in the winter time. The sheave, weights and spring really made it much more responsive!

·
Registered
7 Posts
VIKE123 sounds like you got the right combination to get yours running back like stock but with the added lower end advantage. I’m wanting to do the same but plan on running 28s. What is the difference in the colors of the springs?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VIKE123 sounds like you got the right combination to get yours running back like stock but with the added lower end advantage. I’m wanting to do the same but plan on running 28s. What is the difference in the colors of the springs?
. I have 28” mega mayhems and will be installing the sheave and weights this weekend hopefully. I’ll let you know how it is. No spring though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I had a spare hour to work in the shop this afternoon to install the sheave from jbs. It was the sheave and 17g weights. I did not install a spring yet and dont know how much a spring helps. But I do know that the sheave is an awesome upgrade. I have 28” mega mayhems and it gets them turning! Very pleased with the product.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm no expert here but different color of springs are different ratings over stock. With heavier springs it will hold rpms longer and also backshift faster. All this is in conjunction with weights and tire size and riding style. I would contact James at JBS and give him your info and he can steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I had a spare hour to work in the shop this afternoon to install the sheave from jbs. It was the sheave and 17g weights. I did not install a spring yet and dont know how much a spring helps. But I do know that the sheave is an awesome upgrade. I have 28” mega mayhems and it gets them turning! Very pleased with the product.
Glad to hear you like your upgrade!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took the limo out on the trails today. Still mainly snow packed but it was my way of practicing social distancing thanks to the corona virus. And I must say. After the extreme shim, 17g weights, and purple spring. This thing rips! Up hill covered in snow and shoots up the hill in no time!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took the limo out on the trails today. Still mainly snow packed but it was my way of practicing social distancing thanks to the corona virus. And I must say. After the extreme shim, 17g weights, and purple spring. This thing rips! Up hill covered in snow and shoots up the hill in no time!
correction extreme sheave no shim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts