Viking Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Viking 700 EPS Ranch Edition
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting on the SuperATV lift, front went on fine. I'm having trouble with the rear. Everyone says "It's easy, put it on in an hour." My old crippled ass worked on it all afternoon, and still didn't get finished. I'm having a problem with the rear shocks. I lack maybe 1/2 an inch lining up, but can't get the A arms to droop any further. Thinking maybe disconnect the sway bar? Anyone have experience with this that can advise?

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Never did a lift but here is a pick of the sway bar link. The bolt has a hole for a hex key so you can turn the nut. I took off the sway bar links permanently which improved the ride. I don't drive fast into turns.

·
Vendor
15 Posts
Oh, and SuperATV, nice non-existent instructions you didn't include.
Sorry about that. The instructions are on the website, and should also be linked in your emailed invoice.
Here's a link: Instructions
The sway bar removal as suggested above should help. Do you have the preload cranked up on your shocks? That could be the case. I'm afraid that if you have the preload cranked up and get the shocks in there, it'll push your axles too deep and may bind. Maybe take out a little preload, and make sure the wheels spin freely and don't bind the axles at full drop once you get the the shock installed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't appear to be a preload setting, just factory gas shocks. I'll disconnect the swaybar and see what
happens.

·
Registered
2018 camo VI
227 Posts
If I have spring spacers already on and I talk this same kit, does that mean I’ll gain another two inches of clearance? Or am I not seeing this through clearly. Also would I have to worry about axle issues then too? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Hmmm. Yes you should gain clearance. The spring spacers don't actually lift you in the same way. They should really be called spring pre-loaders. They compress the springs an inch or so just like a pre-load adjustment on better shocks. They do not change the suspension geometry, just reduce your maximum travel a little and firm it up. I am not 100% sure but I don't think you need to worry about adding a 2" lift just because you have spring spacers.

Reactions: Getzy

·
Vendor
15 Posts
If I have spring spacers already on and I talk this same kit, does that mean I’ll gain another two inches of clearance? Or am I not seeing this through clearly. Also would I have to worry about axle issues then too? Thanks.
Makes me a little nervous. I wouldn't recommend running both. Honestly, the bracket lift is always better because it doesn't limit your shock travel like a spring spacer. We only do spacer lifts when the shock travel is already topped out.

Personally, I'd remove the spring spacers and go with the bracket lift. If you want a little more height, you can always just crank down on your preload and get a little more. I'm afraid running both will push your suspension down to much and you're axles are going to bind up at full drop or full turn.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Makes me a little nervous. I wouldn't recommend running both. Honestly, the bracket lift is always better because it doesn't limit your shock travel like a spring spacer. We only do spacer lifts when the shock travel is already topped out.

Personally, I'd remove the spring spacers and go with the bracket lift. If you want a little more height, you can always just crank down on your preload and get a little more. I'm afraid running both will push your suspension down to much and you're axles are going to bind up at full drop or full turn.
There is no preload on Viking shocks. That is the purpose of the spacers. They take the place of a pre-load ring.

A Drunk Monkey

Reactions: SuperATV and Getzy

·
Registered
2 Posts
I added the superatv lift as well, 2 inch. Made a big difference in my riding area, clearing rocks and obstacles. Glad to hear you got it on, mine didn't line up either but I was able to move the whole a arm to line it up easily without removing anything.

No instructions in my box either, but they sent me the link quickly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After riding on the road and cornering, I decided to reattach the swaybar. Way too lean-y. Some of our trail driving involves paved roads. I found an adjustable sway bar link on Amazon that will compensate for the added height of the lift.

It will have to wait a bit, I had to have my left lower leg amputated due to Peripheral Artery Disease. It will be November before I can be fitted with my Terminator leg.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Ghostwolf - Wow, sorry about the surgery. Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
715 Posts
Hope your recovery goes well. Send some pictures of of your Viking when you are able to get up and around, it sounds interesting.

Reactions: Ghostwolf

·
Registered
2018 camo VI
227 Posts
There is no preload on Viking shocks. That is the purpose of the spacers. They take the place of a pre-load ring.

A Drunk Monkey
You think the spacers with the lift would be enough to mess up an axle? I could make a little smaller spacers too I guess.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Getzy:

Keep in mind that I never lifted mine. I am very happy with my 13" of clearance that comes from my 28" Blackwaters and my rear spring spacers.

That said, the spring spacers don't technically lift the vehicle. They act as a shock Pre-Load adjustment and the reason you get higher is because you have taken up some of the 'squishy' spring travel allowing the springs to hold you up better. It would be like putting stronger springs around the shocks. Since this should not change the Geometry beyond what it was designed for, I'd think you would be OK with a 2" lift but cannot offer any guarantees because I don't have direct experience in that area. I could just be talking out of my A55.

What is your front and rear clearance now?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts