Viking Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All...new to the site. I'm a long time hunting fanatic and I am also very fortunate to have a wife and daughter that also enjoy the sport. I have 2 Yamaha quads that work great. However, girls and COLD just don't go together! So...I'm in the market for a SXS and have narrowed it down to the Viking. Although I read a ton of negative reviews...99.9% of those are from the Folks that wanted a Razor killer. For me...I will be using it for some very serious hunting, and the application looks PERFECT for what I want. Anyways, I do have some concerns, and was hoping someone on here might have some answers.

#1 I have looked at, and started, 4 separate units. On every one of them the vibration at idle is what I would call "severe." Is this normal? If so - I did notice that if I put the slightest amount of pressure on the throttle, and raised the RPM just slightly, it completely smoothed out. This leads me to my next question.

#2 Is the idle adjustable on these and ,if so, is it a mechanical or a programing thing? (Even if the idle is adjustable...would this start messing up the belt and clutching?

#3 For those of you that have used mats ,or Rhino lined the bed...does this really reduce the noise?

#4 I've read that there is a "vortex" type thing going on with all SXS's, and the dust can really be an issue when a front window is used. I've also read that adding a rear window really reduces this. Is that true?

Thanks in advance....I hope to be the proud owner of one of these very soon

M-N-T

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
First off, welcome to the site.

The Reviews you mentioned, are not reviews really, so i wouldnt go by that, thats just people upset that came out with the Viking instead of a 110hp Rzr Killer or can-am Maverick killer, etc. So dont worry about that stuff

The Vibration is normal, but after some breakin time, its gets alot better, hardly noticeable on mine, it still does it, but i dont even really notice it anymore, its not bad at all.
Far as idle, im not sure on that

Far as the "Vortex" with a Windshield, that is true. I had a Front windshield on a 2010 Ranger, and it sucked in dust bad. They say a rear vinyl windshield will help with the issue.

I had my bed done with a sprayin liner, and it did help some, its still noisey.

Got any other questions feel free to ask.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see you have a UTV HQ Vented Windshield...if you open the vent, is the dust still an issue?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Its actually hasnt arrived yet, it was supposed to be here yesterday, but got delayed till next Wednesday due to the bad Snow & Ice. But it should work really well, Member lilbigtonka, has it on his already, PM him and he can probally tell you, he loves his.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It still brings in the dust but nothing like when it is totally shut.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi All...new to the site. I'm a long time hunting fanatic and I am also very fortunate to have a wife and daughter that also enjoy the sport. I have 2 Yamaha quads that work great. However, girls and COLD just don't go together! So...I'm in the market for a SXS and have narrowed it down to the Viking. Although I read a ton of negative reviews...99.9% of those are from the Folks that wanted a Razor killer. For me...I will be using it for some very serious hunting, and the application looks PERFECT for what I want. Anyways, I do have some concerns, and was hoping someone on here might have some answers.

#1 I have looked at, and started, 4 separate units. On every one of them the vibration at idle is what I would call "severe." Is this normal? If so - I did notice that if I put the slightest amount of pressure on the throttle, and raised the RPM just slightly, it completely smoothed out. This leads me to my next question.

#2 Is the idle adjustable on these and ,if so, is it a mechanical or a programing thing? (Even if the idle is adjustable...would this start messing up the belt and clutching?

#3 For those of you that have used mats ,or Rhino lined the bed...does this really reduce the noise?

#4 I've read that there is a "vortex" type thing going on with all SXS's, and the dust can really be an issue when a front window is used. I've also read that adding a rear window really reduces this. Is that true?

Thanks in advance....I hope to be the proud owner of one of these very soon

M-N-T
vibration is normal and goes away with gas, no one sits at idle anyway, it is a single cylinder so it vibrates.

no you can't adjust idle, it is controlled by a idle speed control valve through the ECU and crank position sensor.

Windshields of any kind form a vacuum behind them, air moves under the vehicle, up the tailgate over the bed to the windshield and out bringing dust with it. I can't stress it enough, all windshields. A back panel does help for sure.

never did the sound deadening material but our machined clutch sheave drops engine rpm to reduce engine noise.

·
Administrator
1,796 Posts
IMO, the sound inside the machine is fine, and doesnt bother me at all.

And no, mats or anything else in the bed had no affect on the inside cab noise level.

After over 80 miles on my machine now, the idle vibration is nothing like when it was new.

·
Registered
290 Posts
welcome aboard! the vibes seem to get less severe as everything begins to settle properly but as was said above its a little single, its going to vibrate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts