Viking Forum banner

Improvements to the Viking

7K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Teryx2k16 
#1 ·
The Viking is a great machine, but everything built by man can be improved. Noise would have been my number one complaint, but Yamaha has seemingly addressed it already. However, there is still more that can be done. Here's a list of suggestions I would make to Yamaha to make this great machine even better:

1) Power. This is the elephant in the room. The Viking doesn't need 100 hp to compete with sport machines, but a nice V-twin of 70-80 hp would really give it a leg up on the Commander, Teryx, and Ranger.

2) Larger factory rubber. The Viking should be shod with at least 26" rubber from the factory. The additional cost would be negligible, the already excellent ground clearance would be improved, and it would sure make the unit look better when compared side by side with the Commander and Teryx.

3) Storage compartment. There is a ton of empty space below the driver's seat that just screams for a storage compartment. The factory storage box with the screw-on lid under the seat is cumbersome at best, and doesn't allow for larger items like a ground anchor. Why not make an external water-resistant door for that space? I would love to store my winch accessories, ground anchor, jack, first aid kit, flat repair kit, shovel, and other emergency items in that space. Yamaha could even package their own emergency kit as an accessory.

4) Deeper cup holders. Nuff said. :)

5) Relocate the gauge package. The gauge package should be located in line with the steering wheel. It's distracting to try to look over to the side while driving.

What other improvements would you guys like to see?

See less See more
Reactions: cactus
#2 ·
I think you have great points and if Yamaha took your advice the Viking would be a leader for sure. I do not own a Viking, but preload adjustable shocks all the way around would make it better for work and trail riding. and while their at it, throw in tilt steering. maybe offer some LE packages.

#3 ·
i agree with the noise. drives me bat crap crazy! and dont really have the money to fix it. my next biggest issue is those da** squeeky brakes.
next is the fact that the stupid factory roof doesnt extend over the factory windshield and lets rain roll in. o and while im on it the gap in the windshield that also lets rain roll up and hit me in the face and lets me eat dust all day ( i did fix this issue with a rubber trunk and door seal for a car) next is rattling seat belts (which ive also fixd already with garden hose washers) next is my new complaint of my bed squeeking like crazy. i havnt had time to track this one down yet but its still annoying. im assuming its coming from the latches that hold the bed down? idk. i also see the new vikings have two dump bed struts(or whatever there called) instead of the one we have.

#17 ·
next is my new complaint of my bed squeeking like crazy. i havnt had time to track this one down yet but its still annoying. im assuming its coming from the latches that hold the bed down? idk. i also see the new vikings have two dump bed struts(or whatever there called) instead of the one we have.
My bed was squeaking like mad and I noticed that if I closed it from the passenger side only one latch would catch, I then had to walk around to the drivers side and push down on the front corner of the bed to get the second latch to catch, which would stop the squeak. If I closed it from the drivers side in the first place, both latches would catch and no squeak. Bed must be twisted.

#4 ·
I think all utv's bed latches rattle. I put duck tape about 3 layers deep on my rangers latches and it doesn't rattle for awhile, until the latch works thru the duck tape. then I just apply more. kind of a cheap easy fix.

#5 ·
All GREAT suggestions!!

1. Needs more power sure, needs a V-Twin, i think i seen on Dirt Trax the other day that the Artic Cat 700 makes 60hp or so..

2. Squeaky brakes need to be delt with, driving down the road, makes you feel like your driving a old POS.

3. Adjustable shocks

4. Noise- seems like there dealing with it now, shouldn't have even been sold like that in the first place, same thing with hte brakes.

5. Bigger tires for sure

6. It could use some self leveling rear shocks, to resolve the sag problem under load.

7. Roof needs to extend out to go over windshields.

8. This should be #1, but i just thought of it, the Digital gauges, like said above, need to be moved above the steering wheel i think, and needs to have a bright white background, which i think would make it be VERY easy to see. Where its at now, i rarely look at it, i dont like taking my eyes off the road, and to me and my eyes, its very hard to see.

Reactions: sandbagger
#8 ·
3) Storage compartment. There is a ton of empty space below the driver's seat that just screams for a storage compartment. The factory storage box with the screw-on lid under the seat is cumbersome at best, and doesn't allow for larger items like a ground anchor. Why not make an external water-resistant door for that space? I would love to store my winch accessories, ground anchor, jack, first aid kit, flat repair kit, shovel, and other emergency items in that space. Yamaha could even package their own emergency kit as an accessory.
The one I agree with most is the storage compartment under the seat. The others would be nice but aren't so blatantly obvious as putting some extra storage under the seats. Storage is already low, so it just makes perfect sense.

#10 ·
Yeah, forgot to mention the storage, plenty of room under the drivers seat for alot of stuff, and maybe, have a opening door on the side, to get to your gear, under the seat??

I agree on the fold down middle seat aswell, il ike an armrest too, ive got the center seat cnsole, but i rarely use it, because im always haulong around my 2 neices, and i need all the seats. I need to sale it..

One more thing, I dont really like the shifter, one thing i've LOVED over the years, never owned one, but have driven them, is the shifter like the Rhino and old Grizzlys had, with the boot, and was so nice and cool looking compared to the shifter setup in the Viking.

#12 ·
I'd like to see a quick adjust for the drivers seat. Pull a lever and move it like a vehicle. Can't be that hard to do or that expensive.

#14 ·
There a couple of us on the forum that installed adjustable seat tracks in our vikings. Makes it nice. Would be easy for factory to do it.

Reactions: Reignman
#15 ·
Now that we have a good list, how would you prioritize these improvements? How much more would you be willing to pay for them? Here's my list, starting with the highest priority first:

1) Engine - 70-80 hp twin.

2) Storage - Large access door to under-seat storage (preferably external, but under the seat would be acceptable).

3) Preload-adjustable shocks - to correct for sag.

4) 26" tires from the factory.

5) Tilt steering wheel.

6) Quick adjustable driver's seat.

7) Gauges relocated in front of driver.

8) Fold-down center seat for arm rest.

9) Brakes pre-lubed to prevent squeaking.

10) Deeper cup holders.

11) Re-designed door latches.

12) Booted shift lever.

Personally, I would have been willing to pay an extra $2000.00 for the first four items (Engine, storage, tires, & shocks). Everything else would be nice, but are only minor improvements IMO.

How would everyone else prioritize these improvements, and how much would you be willing to pay?

#16 ·
Better Suspension
Greasable A-arms (at the upper point)
Quieter

#18 ·
yea that probably was the problem. didnt rattle nearly as bad yestrday. sometimes i forget the bed wont close right from the passenger side

#19 ·
Great list Bug Doc, I particularly like the external waterproof lockable storage door, that's a top idea, you could even lock a chainsaw or rifles etc in there.

Something else to add,

13. A rear diff!

#20 ·
My air intake behind the drivers seat has started to make an annoying squeaking sound, i can get out, and lift up on it a bit, and it stops, its kinda loose or something..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.