Viking Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 2017 at the end of last year and have not driven it much.

So far I’ve got wheels, tires, windshield and a winch for it.

I’m considering installing power steering soon. (Factory EPS was $1500 more at my dealer so I passed)

The winch is still in the box.

When installing the power steering, would it be helpful to not have a winch in the way or would the winch location not hurt the power steering install?

I can wait, just trying to make use of a rainy day tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
i never installed one but i cant see the winch causing any problems as far as being in the way. Everything for EPS should be done through the wheel well i would think except for the power wires and they go up under the hood so front winch should be no issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds logical.
After slapping on my 27" Bighorns and take
Ing her for a spin I'm not too sure power steering is needed. Felt fine without it.

I'll slap on the winch tomorrow and worry about power steering after a few more rides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
I’ve heard from others before that instead of spending the money on EPS spend it on upgraded suspension. Don’t have EPS on mine, don’t know if I’ll get it or not. I think I have to ride in a Vike that has it to go for it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I’ve heard from others before that instead of spending the money on EPS spend it on upgraded suspension. Don’t have EPS on mine, don’t know if I’ll get it or not. I think I have to ride in a Vike that has it to go for it.

month or so before i bought my Viking i used a friends Rhino that did not have EPS and that thing was a pain for the 2 days i had it..... it also had bigger meatier tires on it that didnt help but i knew right then when i was going to get one that EPS was going to be 1 thing it would have for sure. Can use 1 finger to turn it and dont matter if on blacktop, in 4x4 or even dif lock. is it a have to have, No.......but dam it sure makes it nicer, just wish it came with a tilt wheel too lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased a new 2017 at the end of last year and have not driven it much.

So far I’ve got wheels, tires, windshield and a winch for it.

I’m considering installing power steering soon. (Factory EPS was $1500 more at my dealer so I passed)

The winch is still in the box.

When installing the power steering, would it be helpful to not have a winch in the way or would the winch location not hurt the power steering install?

I can wait, just trying to make use of a rainy day tomorrow.

I’ve gone through the exact process your doing.
- The winch will I’m not be in the way.
- I rode on 27’s for a couple of years without power steering. You can easily do it. The Vike actually has a nice tight feel.
-Upgraded to 29.5 wheels & installed power steering. PS makes a HUGE difference in ease of steering, but the Vike lost that nice tight feel.

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts
I've owned two Vikings, one with and one without EPS, and I'd never go back to one without. While not absolutely essential, it is sooo much nicer to have it. It does depend on what sort of driving you do though, if you do all fast stuff where you're not turning the wheel much you can get away without it, it you're doing slow stuff, turning lock to lock, backing up etc you definitely need it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good information guys definitely food for thought.

I got the winch installed and think I will put the power steering on the list AFTER I upgrade the roof to metal.

The 27" bighorns happily measured in at 28" so bonus there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts

That’s true. I have a 2015 Viking VI and i had pondered the idea of getting the power steering untill I invested in a 814 suspension. That has to be hands down the best investment I’ve made in my machine yet. I’m not sure that I will be getting the power steering kit now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts