Viking Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m writing a quick product review of the Hunterwork Clutch kit. Products installed were the Viking Machined Sheave Combo, and Wet Clutch Slug Kit.

I was shopping for a spare drive belt as an emergency backup. Yamaha OEM belt was $160. No other aftermarket belts were available. Also, had been reading about the Hunterworks clutch kit, and contemplated getting one. (The new kit belt was only $79, versus the $160 for the Yamaha)

Initially was hesitant to add mods to the drive train. Wanted to keep it as much as stock as possible. After driving the Viking, I realized I needed larger tires. Planning on going from stock 25 inches to 27 inches. After researching about clutch kits, it seems they did not affect the reliability.
Decided to go ahead and upgrade. Spoke with Todd at Hunterworks. Found him exceptionally helpful, and knowledgeable.

Installation: Do watch the Hunterwoarks installation video a few times before attempting. (Also watch the EPIperformance video).
-Recommend getting a high quality air impact. My 300 pound wrench didn’t budge the primary clutch nut. Had to buy an 800 pound air impact. Would prefer to use a breaker bar, but to secure the primary wheel requires a special tool that cost $250. Also, to tighten to factory spec’s, requires the tool

Ride Quality: Wow! the ride is so much smoother. Best way to describe the ride, it’s like going form a herky-jerky golf cart, to a car with an automatic transmission. It seems to accelerate faster, and will top out at 54 MPH (8% increase). Think it might go faster, but decided not push it too much. There is a definite lowering of RPM, less strain on the motor. When you depress the throttle, it immediately accelerates, smoothly, and without hesitation.

Impressions? Money well spent. I’m 100 % satisfied with these products. Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for the review! are you currently running on stock tires with the kit installed? you may get more speed with larger tires...if you check with a GPS, the speedo will not compensate for tire size.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had mine with 30" interforce at 55mph on pavement an could get a little more out of it with more road than when I checked using a gps. Stock clutch. My only real wonder with this clutch set up is if it requires a different size belt for the benefits then what is the machining really accomplishing. Must be very slight. The slugs make since to extend wet clutch life but with more strain on the belt I would have to believe. Just trying to think mechanically. I talked to hunterworks over the phone. Real nice guy an helpful just trying wrap my head around it. I'm just trying to run low most of the time an drive smart. I'd almost rather just put in shims for $9 to lower my starting ratio an lose 5mph or so an also add maybe a secondary spring. Did it on my grizzly with 29.5 outlaws with zero issues. But I do understand the weight difference. Will see. Opinions wanted.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks for taking time for providing us the review. I will consider this upgrade after my warranty runs out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just recently ordered the Hunterworks sheave kit, and slug kit. 18g weights and the purple/black secondary spring. My wife said they were super nice while ordering over the phone, and all showed up at the house in two days. I get back home from Baghdad in two weeks, and will install everything and give my opinion/review.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I just recently ordered the Hunterworks sheave kit, and slug kit. 18g weights and the purple/black secondary spring. My wife said they were super nice while ordering over the phone, and all showed up at the house in two days. I get back home from Baghdad in two weeks, and will install everything and give my opinion/review.
Awesome, seems like a number of people from here are going to get it, with that being said we should see a good amount of reviews posted here, looking forward to those.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Well my 55mph is max I think an down hill. Easy 52 though with 30's. Real interested on more reviews on the kit.
Your speedometer will read lower with taller tires, you compensating for that?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
installed hunterworks kit today

After the fairly easy install today I'm impressed with how easy my viking turns the rocktane 30s. From factory to now its night and day differences. The clutch transitions smoothly and without hesitation. I installed hunterworks machined sheave with 18g wieghts, wet slug kit, and a black purple secondary spring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts