Viking Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious when you guy's go from High to Low range. Since I've added more meat to the "V" I really pay attention to what I'm doing. I usually enguage Low Range during inclines and mud.

The main reason behind the question is, I know that most aftermarket products suggest a clutch kit with 28" tires or Larger. Being that I have 27" I feel like I'm right on the fringe of needing one for protection/ just in case. I'm just looking for feedback from you guy's/Gal's on what your opinions are........Thanx QA

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am running stock tires and I run low range pretty much every where except wide open railroad beds.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I run High, unless, going real slow, up hills, etc.

·
Registered
344 Posts
after i burned my wet clutch im always in low gear unless on road it tops out at 38mph on low which is way faster than i like in the trails ..... im kinda contemplating putting the 28 silverbacks back on in fear of burning another clutch

·
Registered
777 Posts
800 miles on my grizzly 700 all in low range with 27 mud lites xtr and no issues! Will do the same with the viking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Over 7000 Kms on my 700 Grizzly and no issues. All pretty much in high range.

Over 4000 Kms on my wife's 700 Grizzly and no issues, I don't think it has even been in low range.

Both units have 26" Mud Lite Tires.

I hope the Viking does the same.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I run in HR a majority of the time, more so than LR.

Just curious to how it's configured that 28" and Larger tires are the target for clutch kits?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
To me, it seems if you run in Low range, especially at high speeds, the engine is running at higher RPM's, where as, in High, its not.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To me, it seems if you run in Low range, especially at high speeds, the engine is running at higher RPM's, where as, in High, its not.
Still trying to figure out how it's " Benchmarked" for kit's on 28's and larger.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Once you install 28" or taller/heavier tires you are not in the power and torque curves of the engine. A clutch kit will bring the RPMs back into the proper curves to help the performance of your machine....whether it be a quad, side by side or snowmobile. With a sled, installing a longer track is the same idea.

Back to the hi/low question, I'm in low unless on a gravel road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Stock tires here. If I'm putting around like 12-15 mph and under, I keep it in low. Any inclines, its in low. Any weight in the bed and or 2 passengers, it's in low. Muddy trails, low. Climbing over rocks, low. But out on the dirt road, or in the flat fields when its time to haul a$$, it's in high :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Once you install 28" or taller/heavier tires you are not in the power and torque curves of the engine. A clutch kit will bring the RPMs back into the proper curves to help the performance of your machine....whether it be a quad, side by side or snowmobile. With a sled, installing a longer track is the same idea.

Back to the hi/low question, I'm in low unless on a gravel road.

TM - Do you think it's weight driven or wheel diameter? Maybe both?

I understand the curves for power and performance theory's. I'm just trying to nail down the formula .......clear as mud??

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think it's more weight driven.

If they, tire manufacturers, could build a 30" tire that weighs the same as a stock tire I don't think there would be an issue or a need for clutch kits. I believe the only issue would be that the speedo would need a new calibration.

But due to the fact that rubber is a solid mass and therefore more rubber equals more weight, we're stuck putting clutch kits in.

Believe me, these are not facts but my theories. I'm no clutch guru but having been a ticketed mechanical engineer/ heavy equipment mechanic/ welder for 20 years I just kind of have these thoughts. I call it a curse as stuff like this keeps me up at nights. My wife calls it handy/pain in the a$$ because I'm ALWAYS building or tweaking.

Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If i am in 2 wheel drive im in high, rest of the time i run low range!

Reactions: Teryx2k16

·
Registered
344 Posts
the weight is the killer maybe my stock clutch was defective besides that always in low unless on road or flat gravel trail

1 - 16 of 16 Posts