Viking Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I've looked through some of the threads and can't seem to find an answer from previous chats, so thought I'd ask:

2019 Yamaha Viking, last 2 trips to my camp, I noticed after I'd been driving for a little while that my idle speed is not falling back down to where it should. This was causing me to lose my engine braking as it seemed like it didn't want to idle down low enough. Obviously this also caused shifting issues so I had to shut it down a couple times. When it did finally idle down low enough the engine braking worked fine.

I pumped the throttle a few times while driving or in neutral and it certainly didn't cut right out when I let off, took a long time to fall back. I'm hoping it's just a sticking cable, but thought I'd reach out before i dig into it! Thanks for any advice!

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
BadMonkey had sticking cable issues, he managed to make up a contraption to get some lube down into it but I think in the end it broke so he replaced it. I'd be trying to lube it up asap.

Reactions: Sport4x4

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Thanks Cactus. What I said.

Sent from my SM-F707U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I guess I'm surprised that my machine would need any throttle cable service yet. Only 1800kms, and I wash and garage store it after every ride. Nothing at the pedal seems sticky, and nothing looks corroded. I'll give it a good look, this has been used as a commuter only so I'm surprised. And only seems to happen after I've been cruising for a while and it warms up. Moved it today, normal idle on start up and nothing suspicious. Shutting it off and re starting when warm also managed to get the idle speed down on trail..?..........weird!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and thanks for the link, this forum is a gold mine of info and the step by steps are fantastic, really appreciate all the shared info and effort to help fellow owners out. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,368 Posts
Maybe the cable is binding somewhere by the way it was routed or clamped. Just a thought.

Reactions: cactus

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
Thanks, I guess I'm surprised that my machine would need any throttle cable service yet. Only 1800kms, and I wash and garage store it after every ride. Nothing at the pedal seems sticky, and nothing looks corroded. I'll give it a good look, this has been used as a commuter only so I'm surprised. And only seems to happen after I've been cruising for a while and it warms up. Moved it today, normal idle on start up and nothing suspicious. Shutting it off and re starting when warm also managed to get the idle speed down on trail..?..........weird!
Yeah ok, must be something else causing it then.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, after just a looking glance obviously I had to dig into this. Amature move hoping the inside would look as good as the outside! Hahahahahahaha.

Well sir, that doesn't look good! Bet that has something to do with my problem!

So I now see that water had intruded, and everything was gummed up white and green. Nothing seized but likely enough resistance to slow down the cable when everything warmed up.

So I've cleaned and lubed all of it. I also checked my tps since I was into this and its reading came back to spec so all good there.

Everything seems to be working fine now, but I will know for sure when I take an extended ride, I'm thinking I've found the problem! This would likely be the same issue as the other thread that had the owner sell. My cable is fine, but the housing was a mess.

Thanks to all for the links to the manual, as well as the posts with pics showing the throttle housing. It made it a lot easier to figure out.

If anyone wants to test their patience some weekend, pull that apart along with the spring and all the small parts, sooooo much fun to crawl under the dump bed and get it all back in, hahahahaha.

Thanks guys and gals! I'm back on the trail!

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,368 Posts
That’s great, glad you figured it out and shared it. Good pictures, they tell it all.

Reactions: cactus and JTM

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
Good work, was the gasket missing? If so, it must have been missing from new. It's very strange that a 2019 model would have a throttle body looking like that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No the gasket wasn't missing. It could have been misaligned. I wouldn't say the cover was overly snug either, but either way moisture was an issue. It's lubed up now, and I also greased the gasket a little to hold it in place like Monkey suggested, but also hoping any moisture that creeps through the seam will now be repelled by the grease as well.

The idle set had built up corrosion as you might see in the pics. So even if the throttle moved it would actually sit against corrosion build up on the tip of that set screw. Mix in heat, moisture, corrosion and expansion and I'm sure it wasn't helping! I'm glad it happened now, in winter that would likely have been another problem with freezing etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
Thanks for the post, I might pop mine off and have a look.

Reactions: JTM
1 - 16 of 16 Posts