Viking Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a Viking last week. I was torn between the Pioneer and Viking but after reading endless forum chatter and sitting in a Viking, the Viking won! I haven't rode it much since it has been so cold. I got the hunter green non EPS. I see an upgrade to EPS in the future. I love the torque and how comfortable this Viking is.

I am seeking a windshield that is decent but won't cost me two low hanging body parts to buy. I want a winch too. I plan on doing some trail riding with her.

I hate to bring it up but what seems to be the simplest yet most effective solution for the exhaust heat issue? I told my dealer about that and he seemed floored by it.

This is my first Yamaha. I've always owned Honda.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As for your question in the exhaust. I would just use it as designed. I currently or in the past have owned Yamaha bikes, generators, snowmobiles, boat motors, snowblowers and side x sides. Many of them first year products. The few issues I have encountered, Yamaha stood behind them with updates. Especially in the snowmobiles. Everything else has never failed me. Some guys are wrapping or heat shielding the exhaust. There are posts on the forum that show what they have done. You won't have any regrets. The second most common thing in my garage is Hondas and I believe in both for good engineering, reliability and value in the long run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Welcome, I too moved from Honda to Yamaha years ago. Both make dependable products. For me the Grizzlies, and now Viking, were a better fit.
As far as the heat issue, I don't believe anyone has proven that is absolutely going to hurt your rear diff. if you don't do something. However, it is cheap insurance and can't hurt. You can go with the wrap or the shield. Both are pretty cheap and easy installs...but IMO the heat shield looks much cleaner.

M-N-T

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Just purchased a Viking last week. I was torn between the Pioneer and Viking but after reading endless forum chatter and sitting in a Viking, the Viking won! I haven't rode it much since it has been so cold. I got the hunter green non EPS. I see an upgrade to EPS in the future. I love the torque and how comfortable this Viking is.

I am seeking a windshield that is decent but won't cost me two low hanging body parts to buy. I want a winch too. I plan on doing some trail riding with her.

I hate to bring it up but what seems to be the simplest yet most effective solution for the exhaust heat issue? I told my dealer about that and he seemed floored by it.

This is my first Yamaha. I've always owned Honda.

UPDATE... after just doing the heatwrap like this..after a solid 1 hr ride in 8 inches of snow my rear diff is still easy to say cool to the touch...the wrap works great guys...dont hesitate to do it...temp outside was about 35 ..

I posted this on another site...its easy and works

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Welcome to the site, glad to have ya aboard.

Ive got the heat wrap on my exhaust, aswell made our own heat shield plates. It made a big difference in Temps on the Diff.

Far as Windshield goes, i highly recommend the UTV Headquaters Vented windshield, its really well made, and has a vent that you can open to get more air in the cab, like for during the warm times, and you can close it in winter.

Winch, I got mine at the dealer, but for somebody that doesn't have one, id recommend the Viper Elite winches, ive heard alot of great things about them, and the company that makes/sells them, always heard they ahve great customer service.

ive always had Yamaha atvs, they've never let me down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts