Viking Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New from Missouri. Hello to all! I've been lurking for a few weeks. I'm thinking about possibly switching to the viking. I have a polaris ranger 900 crew now. Nothing wrong with it other than the usual rattles,squeaks and strange noises that may or may not be serious but you're just not sure , that most rangers have, and it's also a little long. I've owned several rangers,a mule and even a rhino 700. I didn't really like the rhino because it was to small and had a lot of engine vibration. I've had problems with every polaris and have read so many stories about problems with polaris and the dealerships which btw.. I've had my share of problems with polaris and the dealer over the years, so now I'm considering a change. I drove a viking yesterday that had eps(must have eps) at the dealer but only around the small parking lot. Did feel totally different from the ranger but had a solid feel and plenty of room and much better build quality. I'm a simple guy, just want a side by side thats reliable for work around the yard and a trip down the gravel road around the neighborhood, maybe a trail ride every now and then. Seems like a friendly forum! I would like to hear what others think about their viking. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the forum, your on the right track with the Viking. I think you will find the more you learn about it the more you will actually lean towards its purchase. It took about a month for me to decide, even after all the reading and all the videos it was still a tuff choice simply because of the Viking being so new. What finally made my mind up was when I drove by the dealer one day and they were bringing there units outside. On my way back thru there it was setting and just waiting for me was the Tactical Black SE. Needless to say I became a Viking owner that day and I'm very glad I made that decision.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I use mine as you are describing and it works great!. I love the Viking. Like you I was debating about buying one, but after I purchased the Viking, I am glad this was the one I bought.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Welcome to the site. We've always been Yamaha Owners, they've never let us down, back in 2010 We desided we wanted a SXS, but like you said, and we felt the same way, the Rhino was to small, and we needed a bigger machine to haul around my 2 Nieces around, etc. So we gave Polaris a Try, wow, was that mistake. It was a new 2010 Ranger 500 fullsize, had it on the showroom floor with aftermarket wheels/tires. I know relize why they had it there, they where waiting for some suckers to come buy it, and we where the ones they where looking for...That was so unbearable to drive at times it was so noisey, with the bed Buzzing, vibrating, etc. And on top of that, it had an issue from the first test drive, till the day we sold it last year. Close to 10 trips between 2 dealers, which both said they couldn't find or fix the issue, cause they couldn't get it to repeat the issue, we'd get it home, and bam, it would do it..

Anyways, soon as i heard about the Viking, i couldn't sale that POS Polaris fast enough. Couldn't wait to get back to Yamaha, we've been Very happy, wouldn't expect anything else from Yamaha.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought my 900 new like you 7 months ago. I'm just not feeling good about it holding up.Like I said, polaris rangers have a lot of strange noises and you're not sure if its normal or not. I wish I had looked at the viking back then. In the pics it looked like the rhino so I assumed it was the same size. I'm doing the first oil change today. I may clean it up a little and list it on ebay and start looking more at the viking.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Welcome!

I purchased the Viking for the simple fact of the durability and reliability. I hunt with a guy who has the same model as you do, we will see which one is around for the long haul.

I have a customer in West Plains, MO. where are you located?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought my Viking to use it as you plan to. I've used it to take my local snowmobile trails down, haul dirt all over my yard and today help with putting a bunch of docks in and boat lifts. I've found more and more things to use it
For. Everone who has seen it comments on how well built it seems. I've never owned a yamaha 4 wheeler but after owning a viking I love it. I feel with maintaining it properly it will be reliable and feel it will take a beating and come back for more. I had a chance to buy a new polaris ranger 800 with eps and fancy wheels and shiny paint at $3200 off msrp with a winch. I chose
The Viking after reading all the heat problems and quality problems. My dealer thought I was crazybecause he sells tons of Polaris and no Vikings. I told them I buy what I think will work best for my needs not because everyone has one. Good luck on you purchase.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Will be in St. Louis next weekend to catch the Card's and Brave's.
Now that should be a good game, I grew up an Astros fan here in Texas, sooo, you know hwat im dealing with currently.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome to the site! Can't add much from experience with a Viking but after being on here for awhile I am definitely going to purchase one in the near future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts